Learning and Training Different Arts

Northern Man

White Belt
Reaction score
So far I'm a beginner in Tae Kwon Do (Yellow Belt, only due to inactivity because of an injury), I'm thinking of adding some other arts into my "to learn" schedule. Lately I've been thinking of Boxing or Judo, boxing for the reason that it's a great cardio workout and has some nasty punches and combos you should learn without a reason not to, plus on top of that it would help out with hand technique speed. But here's the kicker: I'm a right handed Southpaw. Meaning, my left hand is my stronger hand even though I'm used to my right hand in any other situation. I know it's not an uncommon thing to happen but, what would be the pros and cons of learning such an awkward stance from Boxing? Then we have Judo, I would like to learn to grapple more and since you don't want to go down in the streets or in MMA/whatever, unless on your terms, you should be able to throw the other guy to the ground rather than make them tackle you down to the ground. Which would make more of a sense as my "next to" learn martial art according to the "pros" on this site? (Note, I'm not quiting Tae Kwon Do just yet, just musing on what I should do after certain things have been achieved.)

Plus, this is my first post here. So hello.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with southpaw in boxing or grappling. You have some advantages in that you will train with a lot of authodox but the won't train as much with southpaw giving you more familiarity.

Do the martial art that interests you.

OP
N

Northern Man

White Belt
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with southpaw in boxing or grappling. You have some advantages in that you will train with a lot of authodox but the won't train as much with southpaw giving you more familiarity.

Do the martial art that interests you.

The problem here is, both do interest me, but don't know which one would be more of a better choice and an addition to Tae Kwon Do and which will flow more well with it. Talking about Southpaws, what have been some of the better Southpaw fighters in Boxing for the last few years? (I've only recently taken a proper interest in that sport so my knowledge is limited.)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The problem here is, both do interest me, but don't know which one would be more of a better choice and an addition to Tae Kwon Do and which will flow more well with it. Talking about Southpaws, what have been some of the better Southpaw fighters in Boxing for the last few years? (I've only recently taken a proper interest in that sport so my knowledge is limited.)

Dont worry about flow. That is an increadably boring and technical concern that woul probably involve percentages and statistics. Do what exites you.

Last edited:
OP
N

Northern Man

White Belt
Reaction score
Dont worry about flow. That is an increadably boring and technical concern that woul probably involve percentaged and statistics. Do what exites you.

I guess I could try some Judo then. Though I suck at the break fall techniques, for some reason I can't figure them out. Judo would probably be a hard challenge for me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess I could try some Judo then. Though I suck at the break fall techniques, for some reason I can't figure them out. Judo would probably be a hard challenge for me.

Perfect. You should try judo because you suck at breakfalls

OP
N

Northern Man

White Belt
Reaction score
Perfect. You should try judo because you suck at breakfalls

Exactly. I only learned the one that's usable if you slip backwards while running. Happened to me once in TKD class and remembered it in split second. Almost felt like a moment in some kind of cheesy 80's action movie where they get a technique flashback.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Northern Man.

My advice would be to go check out whatever dojos are available to you, take a couple classes - and whichever one you enjoy the most - that's the way to go.

As for "But here's the kicker: I'm a right handed Southpaw. Meaning, my left hand is my stronger hand even though I'm used to my right hand in any other situation. I know it's not an uncommon thing to happen but, what would be the pros and cons of learning such an awkward stance from Boxing?"

No matter, it's all good. Worked pretty good for Hagler. :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT.

As I said in a very similar thread yesterday, stick with one art, especially as a beginner. To do two difficult things at once is to do neither of them well.

OP
N

Northern Man

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT.

As I said in a very similar thread yesterday, stick with one art, especially as a beginner. To do two difficult things at once is to do neither of them well.

Yeah, I can get hang of TKD techniques pretty easy, I find them easy to move with. It's also the first time ever I've learned Martial Arts of any kind properly. Dunno if it's in my blood or something to use my feet.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I can get hang of TKD techniques pretty easy, I find them easy to move with. It's also the first time ever I've learned Martial Arts of any kind properly. Dunno if it's in my blood or something to use my feet.

You may think you are getting the hang of it. I question that, but it's your life and your call.

OP
N

Northern Man

White Belt
Reaction score
You may think you are getting the hang of it. I question that, but it's your life and your call.
In real life situation, it's sink or swim. However, I do feel the flow better and feel that when I even try out punching (say, boxing) it feels weaker in terms of natural instinct.

Plus, I hope this place doesn't become a "My Kung Fu is better than your Kung Fu!" parody.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In real life situation, it's sink or swim. However, I do feel the flow better and feel that when I even try out punching (say, boxing) it feels weaker in terms of natural instinct.

Plus, I hope this place doesn't become a "My Kung Fu is better than your Kung Fu!" parody.

It definitely will not become that, because we have nothing left to discuss.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Presumably, your Judo teacher will explain to you how to do them, and then have you practice them over and over and over again. That's what we do in Hapkido, anyway. Once you've done a front fall correctly 500 times, you should be pretty good at it. :)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Parody schmarody. My Kung-Fu is better than your Kung-Fu! ...At least I hope it is, since I do kung-fu and you do TKD. :D

BTW I think either boxing or grappling, such as judo or BJJ, would be an excellent addition to your TKD training. Bill makes good points about the importance of getting good at one art. On the other had if I were younger, and had the money and time to take up another art, I'd do it in a minute. Seriously, dude ...go for it! :)

Latest Discussions