Last Poster #7

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Walking through Chinatown today and I saw a sign that said "Wah Lum Kung Fu".... it also had Chinese characters. Now my reading of Chinese is not so great, but my wife's is exemplary, simplified and traditional. She looked at the sign and said they are lying.... the Characters were 少林功夫.... which is Shaolin gong fu.... not 華林功夫 Wah Lum Kung Fu.

As for me, I am clueless, but you would think they knew better in Chinatown

gyoja

3rd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walking through Chinatown today and I saw a sign that said "Wah Lum Kung Fu".... it also had Chinese characters. Now my reading of Chinese is not so great, but my wife's is exemplary, simplified and traditional. She looked at the sign and said they are lying.... the Characters were 少林功夫.... which is Shaolin gong fu.... not 華林功夫 Wah Lum Kung Fu.

I would have to take their word for it!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm...
this is the second time Gmail send me an umprompted one-time code for my email account.
The other day I had 'Chase bank' call me to tell me that my (very unalive) Husband's Social Security Number had been used to make a card and 'it was used in Texas to purchase a thousand dollars worth of electronics off Ebay' Over the last 7 months I have repeated both of our vitals so many times, I am surprised I still have control (or the illusion there of) over my finances.

any suggestions?

gyoja

3rd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm...
this is the second time Gmail send me an umprompted one-time code for my email account.
The other day I had 'Chase bank' call me to tell me that my (very unalive) Husband's Social Security Number had been used to make a card and 'it was used in Texas to purchase a thousand dollars worth of electronics off Ebay' Over the last 7 months I have repeated both of our vitals so many times, I am surprised I still have control (or the illusion there of) over my finances.

any suggestions?
Stay off those shady websites! 😂

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hmm...

any suggestions?
if you have credit cards inform your company, they may offer you a free service for a short period of time to protect your credit, or have recommendations as to what steps yhou need to take. Get legal advice, could be as simple as calling the local police to see what they suggest. Get something like life lock

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hmm...

any suggestions?
If you haven’t pulled a credit report, it’s free and there are many ways to do it. Credit karma, for example, will allow you to pull all three reports. Doesn’t hurt your credit rating at all, and you can keep an eye on things, in case anything gets haywire.

If you think people may be applying for credit using your information, you can freeze your credit, as well. IIRC, you will need to work with each of the big three Companies, experian, transunion, and equifax.

Your bank or credit union may offer some of these services for free.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Leftovers from yesterdays Breakfast all the way to lunch Chinatown visit.
Xiaolongbao and Charsiubao for lunch (Pork Baozi and Barbecue Pork Baozi)
Makes a happy Xue

Xiaolongbao (aka steamed soup dumplings)
d6096843-b41f-481b-831a-1ad02240fe6a.jpg

Char Siu Bao
Char_siu_bao.jpg

gyoja

3rd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leftovers from yesterdays Breakfast all the way to lunch Chinatown visit.
Xiaolongbao and Charsiubao for lunch (Pork Baozi and Barbecue Pork Baozi)

Xiaolongbao (aka steamed soup dumplings)
d6096843-b41f-481b-831a-1ad02240fe6a.jpg

Char Siu Bao
Char_siu_bao.jpg
Looks delicious! I need to try that sometime!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Looks delicious! I need to try that sometime!
You will need to go to a Chinatown to get good ones..... However as far a Chinatowns go, I would completely aviod the one in Washington DC, it ain't no Chinatown.... it has restaraunts in it with the signs in Chinese characters but....

邓肯甜甜圈 = Dunkin Donuts
周五 = Fridays
麦当劳 = McDonalds
汉堡王 =. Burger King

I kid you not....

we found one Chinese restaurant there. My wife ordered a dish that was basically a Noodle dish from Shanghai and it was all wrong, my wife told them this and there response was "this is how they make in in Shanghai". My wife's retort was "I have had this in Shanghai, several times, it is nothing like this at all" She got it taken off the bill and we left. The worst Chinatown I have ever been too...mostly because other than the use of Chinese characters, it has nothing to do with China or the Chinese. Also avoid Vancouver Chinatown, mostly homeless folks, prostitutes and drug dealers these days

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Or they're happy to let the tourists fooled by the sign and Chinese writing get taken...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you haven’t pulled a credit report, it’s free and there are many ways to do it. Credit karma, for example, will allow you to pull all three reports. Doesn’t hurt your credit rating at all, and you can keep an eye on things, in case anything gets haywire.

If you think people may be applying for credit using your information, you can freeze your credit, as well. IIRC, you will need to work with each of the big three Companies, experian, transunion, and equifax.

Your bank or credit union may offer some of these services for free.
Dead folk's SSNs are sometimes used that way -- so I'd encourage reporting it to the credit monitoring services and freezing his account. It won't even inconvenience him since he's not legitimately applying for credit anywhere. (Sorry, gallows humor) Lots of people's info has been leaked in so many breaches that I honestly tell people to assume they've been leaked somewhere.

gyoja

3rd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will need to go to a Chinatown to get good ones..... However as far a Chinatowns go, I would completely aviod the one in Washington DC, it ain't no Chinatown.... it has restaraunts in it with the signs in Chinese characters but....

邓肯甜甜圈 = Dunkin Donuts
周五 = Fridays
麦当劳 = McDonalds
汉堡王 =. Burger King

I kid you not....

we found one Chinese restaurant there. My wife ordered a dish that was basically a Noodle dish from Shanghai and it was all wrong, my wife told them this and there response was "this is how they make in in Shanghai". My wife's retort was "I have had this in Shanghai, several times, it is nothing like this at all" She got it taken off the bill and we left. The worst Chinatown I have ever been too...mostly because other than the use of Chinese characters, it has nothing to do with China or the Chinese. Also avoid Vancouver Chinatown, mostly homeless folks, prostitutes and drug dealers these days
The only one that I have ever visited was in Houston and that was so I could snag some real Korean food.

Latest Discussions