Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a cold.

It's obviously really bad because I'm a man.

Sore throat, headache, simultaneous runny and blocked nose.

Brilliant.

And I've just got home from my grading to 2nd kup...

Literally nothing beats the feeling of putting on vinyl dipped sparring pads when you're already sweaty :wtf:

Heeey congrats on the grading bro, awesome work!

Too bad about the cold. Although I remember for my 4th kyu grading a few days prior I felt a cold coming on, not sure I could grade. After grading, no sign of a cold!

I get the feeling it was just nerves trying to convince me I had a cold ;D

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
In pinch, you can skip the honey and lemon
And the heating up part.
No, you can't. Because, if it's hot whiskey with honey and lemon - you are a patient taking a well-known folk medicine. But, otherwise, you are just a sneezing alcoholic. :p

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, there is good reason to believe that the "man cold" is a real thing. There have been a number of studies showing that the immune response varies by gender, and that men do, in fact, get sicker when exposed to the common cold virus.
Seriously speaking, yes, that is true. Genetically, women have more safeguards built in - because they are the bearers and rearers of children. So, in the time when our ancestors lived in caves, women had to be able to up and run away from an invading enemy tribe - carrying the children or while pregnant.

Modern women may not like this - but our genetics were set up a LONG time before modern times. Nothing we can do about that. I should find a passage from Ivan Yefremov's "Razor's Edge" where he talks about feminine features that are considered nearly universally beautiful, and how they also make sense from the standpoint of survival.

Women have more endurance and mobility during illness, because - again - going back to the ancient times, they had to be able to work and look after the young ones regardless. Women might feel pain sooner but have more stamina for withstanding pain for long periods of time - because, otherwise, how would they survive childbirth?

One of the more amusing gander differences @gpseymour and I have read about was that women were genetically programmed to notice small things and details - like, which berries grew where, did birds eat them, what happened when you spilled some seeds to the ground, etc. Women were the initiators of transition from hunting and gathering to farming and industry - because of that attention to detail. Men, on the other hand, were not genetically programmed to notice anything smaller than a wildebeest. So, now, when I point out, "Hey, can you clear the dishes off the kitchen counter?" he says, "What dishes? Not a wildebeest." :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, you can't. Because, if it's hot whiskey with honey and lemon - you are a patient taking a well-known folk medicine. But, otherwise, you are just a sneezing alcoholic. :p
But if you have enough of either, you might still sneeze, but not give a hoot.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Seriously speaking, yes, that is true. Genetically, women have more safeguards built in - because they are the bearers and rearers of children. So, in the time when our ancestors lived in caves, women had to be able to up and run away from an invading enemy tribe - carrying the children or while pregnant.

Modern women may not like this - but our genetics were set up a LONG time before modern times. Nothing we can do about that. I should find a passage from Ivan Yefremov's "Razor's Edge" where he talks about feminine features that are considered nearly universally beautiful, and how they also make sense from the standpoint of survival.

Women have more endurance and mobility during illness, because - again - going back to the ancient times, they had to be able to work and look after the young ones regardless. Women might feel pain sooner but have more stamina for withstanding pain for long periods of time - because, otherwise, how would they survive childbirth?

One of the more amusing gander differences @gpseymour and I have read about was that women were genetically programmed to notice small things and details - like, which berries grew where, did birds eat them, what happened when you spilled some seeds to the ground, etc. Women were the initiators of transition from hunting and gathering to farming and industry - because of that attention to detail. Men, on the other hand, were not genetically programmed to notice anything smaller than a wildebeest. So, now, when I point out, "Hey, can you clear the dishes off the kitchen counter?" he says, "What dishes? Not a wildebeest." :)

Pile up enough plates to equal a wildebeest...problem solved

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

I don't drink alcohol much or often anyway.

Not for any reason, just don't.

Still working on a 24 pack of beer I got last Christmas ;)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
But if you have enough of either, you might still sneeze, but not give a hoot.
That's very true. But here is another reason to heat it up. And I tell you this as someone, whose concentration in the study of engineering was Fluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer. If you heat it up - it has a faster effect.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pile up enough plates to equal a wildebeest...problem solved
Doesn't work. Because my head is so messed up, my external environment has to be fairly neat and orderly. So, anything approaching that pile of dirty dishes would drive me nuts.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
is the news just covering more or are there a lot more violent encounters going on these days; shootings, stabbings, assaults, fights, etc.

There's just more (and more slanted) coverage, really.Forty years ago, I got mugged and lost an eye. Wasn't even local news. Today, it would be splattered all over your newsfeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.