Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, it's coffee.
I am searching.
I liked the Green Mountain and Newmann's Own for the Keurig, but producing all that trash (and for the price per cup I better have it prepared by somebody!) I am foregoing the convenience of having a lot of coffee to choose from at one moment.
I need to get more tea though, I found I was out of green tea.
I rather like Community coffee but have never hear of the New Orleans blend. What makes it different?
A cheaper Keurig brand I really like is called 1850.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I rather like Community coffee but have never hear of the New Orleans blend. What makes it different?
A cheaper Keurig brand I really like is called 1850.
It's the coffee and chickory. With the yellow label. I can't say it's a huge difference in taste though
I shelved my Keurig. If I find all the parts to it I might put it in the goodwill box.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's the coffee and chickory. With the yellow label. I can't say it's a huge difference in taste though
I shelved my Keurig. If I find all the parts to it I might put it in the goodwill box.
Not a fan of the 'woody or nutty' flavors. I just need some good, black coffee that is not too bitter. I am a 2-3 cup a day guy so the Keurig works good for my consumption level. Plus the ease and convenience.
I wish Community would offer the paper cups like they did early on. I cannot tell any difference in taste and like using less plastic. But I am one of those people who feel plastic itself is not the problem; people littering is. Plastic can be recycled but it takes human intervention far beyond pitching it out the window.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
6E287EF0-C268-4F68-ABAC-4A039D06FA58.png
8CC305B4-5F0E-4DC3-99B8-73A54C17663C.png

A nice day to all. :)

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I need to dust off my cameras for more than the occasional documentation of my crafts.
And idiocy of my pets and neighbors (Like the guy standing under a large oak tree hanging on the powerlines after the storm)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of the 'woody or nutty' flavors. I just need some good, black coffee that is not too bitter. I am a 2-3 cup a day guy so the Keurig works good for my consumption level. Plus the ease and convenience.
I wish Community would offer the paper cups like they did early on. I cannot tell any difference in taste and like using less plastic. But I am one of those people who feel plastic itself is not the problem; people littering is. Plastic can be recycled but it takes human intervention far beyond pitching it out the window.
I recently learned that less than 3% of plastic is recycled. And not all that goes to recycling is recycled, because demand for recycled plastic is low. It's far more expensive than virgin plastic, and color control is apparently more difficult. Plastic can apparently only be recycled once (the molecules break down or some such).

Since I learned that, I've been taking a much harder look at where I can do something other than plastic.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, it's coffee.
I am searching.
I liked the Green Mountain and Newmann's Own for the Keurig, but producing all that trash (and for the price per cup I better have it prepared by somebody!) I am foregoing the convenience of having a lot of coffee to choose from at one moment.
I need to get more tea though, I found I was out of green tea.
The idea of Keurig appeals to me a lot. I'd love to brew a fresh cup each time, and be able to pick (though I honestly would probably reach for whatever I have that's darkest every time). But like you, I just don't like the level of waste. Of course, you can get the reusable pods, but that eliminates the convenience, so I'd rather just do a pot. If I need a single serving, I reach for something else like a French press.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The idea of Keurig appeals to me a lot. I'd love to brew a fresh cup each time, and be able to pick (though I honestly would probably reach for whatever I have that's darkest every time). But like you, I just don't like the level of waste. Of course, you can get the reusable pods, but that eliminates the convenience, so I'd rather just do a pot. If I need a single serving, I reach for something else like a French press.
Get a decent burr grinder and a simple pourover.

If you spend the money you would pay for a keurig on a grinder, you can get a fine pourover for about $20. Paper filters and grounds can go straight into compost.

Keurigs are expensive to buy and you pay a premium for a mediocre cup of coffee. If you are spending the bucks anyway, why drink mediocre coffee that adds to the landfill?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I recently learned that less than 3% of plastic is recycled. And not all that goes to recycling is recycled, because demand for recycled plastic is low. It's far more expensive than virgin plastic, and color control is apparently more difficult. Plastic can apparently only be recycled once (the molecules break down or some such).

Since I learned that, I've been taking a much harder look at where I can do something other than plastic.

I think it is closer to 9% but that is still very low. As I understand it people polluting is the #1 reason for the low number. Some is indirect pollution from garbage plastic debris simply getting blown away because plastic is so light.
As far as the recycling challenges it is very similar to glass. This is the reason many recycle containers have a section for clear glass & plastic. White is seldom an issue in recycling plastic as far as color is concerned since the reclamation process chips then melts and mixes it with virgin material where colorimeter's and spectrophotometers measure the color to ensure a homogeneous mix . It can be blended in with virgin polymer with no after affects. Since consumer product grade plastic like PET is not heavily used as a pressure vessel the molecular breakdown you mention is not a huge issue but is real. The effect is negligible. I think it is most prevalent in clear plastic when used for soda bottles. So recycled clear plastic is not used in pressure vessel products and virgin plastic is used for clear bottles.
We do a heavy amount of work with injection molding companies so I have gained some good education from them about plastics through working with the manufacturer and having to learn the properties of various blends of polymers & plastics.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Before the Keurig there was a machine that used teabag like pods, like the ones you get in hotels for the single serve machines in the rooms.
But now you can't get the pods anymore. Half the coffee selection is Keurig. And Finally they stock the 'teabag' singles from Folgers again. I had a coffee press, but my husband had his brother and nephew clean out some stuff in my kitchen while I was gone. I have not seen it since. (like the plastic pipes that were the spacers for a shelve, nobody has seen them, nobody has touched them, but they were gone anyhow, Now I have 5 thick plastic shelves sitting there, and can't rebuild the unit!)

Alas....I meant to make a cosy for the French Press, maybe something that looks like a TARDIS, or a Dalec?

I wish I could find a coffee maker like my sister had: you filled the tanks with water and coffee beans, and then you selected the size of coffee you wanted and hit the button.
It ground the coffee and brewed it. then you just had to empty the little drawer with the nearly dry grounds out, every so often. The machine was high end but eventually bit the dust and I have not seen one like it since.

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it is closer to 9% but that is still very low. As I understand it people polluting is the #1 reason for the low number. Some is indirect pollution from garbage plastic debris simply getting blown away because plastic is so light.
As far as the recycling challenges it is very similar to glass. This is the reason many recycle containers have a section for clear glass & plastic. White is seldom an issue in recycling plastic as far as color is concerned since the reclamation process chips then melts and mixes it with virgin material where colorimeter's and spectrophotometers measure the color to ensure a homogeneous mix . It can be blended in with virgin polymer with no after affects. Since consumer product grade plastic like PET is not heavily used as a pressure vessel the molecular breakdown you mention is not a huge issue but is real. The effect is negligible. I think it is most prevalent in clear plastic when used for soda bottles. So recycled clear plastic is not used in pressure vessel products and virgin plastic is used for clear bottles.
We do a heavy amount of work with injection molding companies so I have gained some good education from them about plastics through working with the manufacturer and having to learn the properties of various blends of polymers & plastics.

well, the glass can be recycled even if the colors are mixed. In Germany they have done away with the divided collection.
We just have laws that prevent recycled glass to be used in a lot of things. Like Alabama restricts it to be used in road paving!
Instead we buy the green glass with the air bubbles (and lord knows what else) from China...

Most plastic never makes it to the recycle plant. And instead of using less, we add more, in dumb places, where we could do without. Sure, the reusable glass bottles are heavy, but they last a good while longer!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wife had a bad day at the doctor's (nothing serious, just new doctor who didn't take anything she said seriously, looks like she's stuck with back pain. Did get a script for PT though!). As a result, she picked up some rose for her, peanut butter whisky for me, and we're going to watch some trash tv after my class tonight.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wife had a bad day at the doctor's (nothing serious, just new doctor who didn't take anything she said seriously, looks like she's stuck with back pain. Did get a script for PT though!). As a result, she picked up some rose for her, peanut butter whisky for me, and we're going to watch some trash tv after my class tonight.

Ah that sucks... I've not yet found one doctor I go to that I click with or that has a more broad perspective...

But that sounds perfect :)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can you taste the peanut butter?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you taste the peanut butter?
You can actually, depending on the brand. Some just taste like funky whiskey, but at least one it's actively peanut butter flavored, and works out well.
Edit: The one that I like is called skrewball pb whiskey. She got me Ole Smokey this time which I haven't tried.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Love it. Hope you guys have a good night. I love those chill nights. Forged in fire is on Netflix. And if you can stream sumo, today was day 12 of the tournament and it's a good one.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Love it. Hope you guys have a good night. I love those chill nights. Forged in fire is on Netflix. And if you can stream sumo, today was day 12 of the tournament and it's a good one.
I've actually been saving the sumo, so I can binge it. On day 5 currently so will watch that if I can convince her to watch fat dudes throw each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions