Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
if we all shut down our phones, TV, computers and radio's in order to get away from all media and high tech,,, i think all would be right in the world.
maybe not, but i sure miss the Mayberry like innocence of my childhood.
Go spend some time out in the woods or gardening in your back yard,, the dirt doesnt care about your ideology or opinions. Hades will drag us all back down into the earth eventually.
In the story, the serpent said, eat the apple and you will know the difference between good and evil. the joke is on us. we can see the polarity between two things but we cant agree on what is good and what is evil.
"One must be an ocean, to receive a polluted stream without becoming impure"
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

thats the cryptic knowledge of the day, from the 3 headed dog.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
if we all shut down our phones, TV, computers and radio's in order to get away from all media and high tech,,, i think all would be right in the world.
Go spend some time out in the woods or gardening in your back yard,, the dirt doesnt care about your ideology or opinions. Hades will drag us all back down into the earth eventually.
In the story, the serpent said, eat the apple and you will know the difference between good and evil. the joke is on us. we can see the polarity between two things but we cant agree on what is good and what is evil.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Well said.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

If the point is we could all use a little less technology, I’m right there with you. But idealizing childish ignorance of the world isn’t a good reason for it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If the point is we could all use a little less technology, I’m right there with you. But idealizing childish ignorance of the world isn’t a good reason for it.
I suppose it's the loss of innocence.
I mean, we did stuff (where lucky to be able to do) because we didn't have the constant stream of information about bad things.
there is something to be said about not getting all the bad news from all over the planet (while not getting the proportional good stories)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suppose it's the loss of innocence.
I mean, we did stuff (where lucky to be able to do) because we didn't have the constant stream of information about bad things.
there is something to be said about not getting all the bad news from all over the planet (while not getting the proportional good stories)
Agree. And when the news being force fed is not necessary true that matters.
With the technology of today some of the stuff we did as kids would not have been as big a deal. Like when me and my cousin would stay gone for 3-4 days in the summer. It was always only within walking distance of one of our houses but you are still talking a few miles or more. But no one really knew where we were so it seemed like a big deal to us as kids. We would do it a few times every summer and would always do it with the challenge of only taking a lighter, some aluminum foil, and a long arm or fishing pole. Good times.
So, for me loss of innocence is as much from today's media and technology. Much harder to get away from it and people have become conditioned to that. A very negative point to the old phrase "ignorance is bliss".

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, we get the bad news magnified and condensed.
There are not as many tragedies as TV makes us believe. Which leads to some strange scenarios, where kids can't walk home from school, but are tossed into the fray once they turn 16 and get to drive.
On the other hand, my husband fretted when my son was driving to see his girlfriend. 'Honey, at his age you were in the Army!'

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Well said mate :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Different things make people happy. The good news is that, according to the most recent Ipsos survey on global happiness, over 60% of people across the world are happy, and 7 out of 10 here in the USA. You might be onto something regarding social media.

what-brings-people-the-greatest-happiness-ipsos.png

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
For anyone interested, Grand Sumo highlights are airing on NHK channel right now. Day 1 was yesterday. Several great matches yesterday, with a few really spectacular throws.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Different things make people happy. The good news is that, according to the most recent Ipsos survey on global happiness, over 60% of people across the world are happy, and 7 out of 10 here in the USA. You might be onto something regarding social media.

what-brings-people-the-greatest-happiness-ipsos.png
Those are extremely polar lists. I suspect you are correct on the percentages and ratios and, while I agree with them I do not follow the two lists in comparison at all. Can you elaborate?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Those are extremely polar lists. I suspect you are correct on the percentages and ratios and, while I agree with them I do not follow the two lists in comparison at all. Can you elaborate?
It's not really a comparison between them. There was a list of things that people rated whether or not it could give them the greatest potential happiness. That image is showing what the top 5 things were (AKA from the list what most people considered able to give them the greatest happiness), and what the bottom 5 were (what the least number of people considered able to give them the greatest happiness). So a lot of people feel that they'd get the most happiness out of health or from their family/relationships, while a lot less people feel they'd get the most happiness out of being on social media or leaving their country.

One thing that's weird to me is that they asked about their country's new political leadership..when this was an international poll. So not everyone even necessarily has new leadership in the country they're living when they were asked that.

Here's the page reporting the findings, if you're interested. You can also download the full report there..there are certain aspects that I've had issues with in the past, though it looks like they've fixed some of those now. Also if you're interested, here's the chart that displays all the info from Steve's infographic.
upload_2020-11-9_18-16-4.png

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not really a comparison between them. There was a list of things that people rated whether or not it could give them the greatest potential happiness. That image is showing what the top 5 things were (AKA from the list what most people considered able to give them the greatest happiness), and what the bottom 5 were (what the least number of people considered able to give them the greatest happiness). So a lot of people feel that they'd get the most happiness out of health or from their family/relationships, while a lot less people feel they'd get the most happiness out of being on social media or leaving their country.

One thing that's weird to me is that they asked about their country's new political leadership..when this was an international poll. So not everyone even necessarily has new leadership in the country they're living when they were asked that.

Here's the page reporting the findings, if you're interested. You can also download the full report there..there are certain aspects that I've had issues with in the past, though it looks like they've fixed some of those now. Also if you're interested, here's the chart that displays all the info from Steve's infographic.
View attachment 23292
Forgot to link the actual page. Here you go. The state of happiness in a COVID world. I find it really interesting when they break it down by country, it gives you a bit of insight to the morals and issues of the different countries included (health seems to be more important in South America vs. the "1st world" countries, likely due to the availability of medicine that they might not have in Peru; Great Britain seems to care little about freedom to express beliefs, Japan and South Korea are on the bottom of most lists, but Japan shoots to the middle on sports, while South Korea shoots up on material possessions and social media). But the most interesting thing to me is that China ranked highest on general level of happiness, and Saudi Arabia ranked 3rd which is not what most people I know think due mostly to the media portrayal of those areas.

Keep in mind when reading through that the data was published in October, but it was actually collected last week of July/first week of August.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One more interesting observation-I pulled up my file of 2019's survey, to compare the countries. Since it seemed off to me. The picture in this message is from 2019.
upload_2020-11-9_18-30-3.png

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not as much movement as I thought; the bottom in happiness generally stayed there and same with the top. But Peru took a nosedive, the US dropped by quite a bit as well, while Chinese people apparently are happier in general than they were a year ago. For china; given that the pandemic started there, but was considered contained that resulted in more happiness around health, but looking at the data that doesn't seem to be the case. For the US; each source of what's considered important for their happiness dropped, but the biggest drops were around finances and free time; which would make sense if people misread the sentence as "making me happy" rather than "if I had this I would be happy". Cause I can't wrap my head around the idea that people cared less about financial stability when the economy was in the midst of COVID shambles, then they did a year before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions