Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stay away from the Knob Creek 120 proof.

We had a bottle of it at a bachelor party retreat a few weeks ago. Its not smooth and it sneaks up on you quick.

It almost got us kicked out of the bowling alley and made golf the next morning pretty rough.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess in a way I was lucky. When I was about 20 I got commode hugging sick on a hamburger and a bunch of whiskey. To this day I cannot stand the smell of whiskey or bourbon. I rarely drink hard liquor any more but Vodka and moonshine (homebrew) are my jam when I do. Have a friend who makes about every flavor of smooth 120 proof moonshine you can think of.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
but Vodka and moonshine (homebrew) are my jam when I do.

I don't drink a lot anymore either but when I do it is usually Titos with lemonade or craft beer.

But for whatever reason when all my old UC buddies (we now teach UC together) get together they always want to take Jameson or Jager shots.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't drink a lot anymore either but when I do it is usually Titos with lemonade or craft beer.

But for whatever reason when all my old UC buddies (we now teach UC together) get together they always want to take Jameson or Jager shots.
Yep. I definitely remember Jager shots. I used to tell people if they have ever taken Vicks Formula 44D you know what Jager tastes like.;)
Jameson would be in that smell category I just can't stand now.
Still like a good amber craft beer though.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Jaegermeister? <shudder>
I know a lot of German people, nobody drinks that stuff!
But then again....tradition, right! Don't mess with that!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
hmm, I need some help.
A while ago, my Fixpedition decided that it would not open the tailgate anymore.
And I mean it was a really juvenile thing: I had unlocked it but opened the glass instead of the whole door, and then the car said nuh-uh. Now nothing opens. Neither glass nor door.
And I do have some rather big stuff in the back I don't want to hoist over the back seat, never mind I am not sure I can get it through the side doors at any rate
I suppose I need to either smash the window (fat chance) or take it to the shop?
2002 model. power locks etc, but falling apart all around me by now

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Started a new hobby recently. Drinking whisky and scotch. I'm planning on making a bar out of an unused room in the house for party's and such. So far I've tried.
  • Red breast 12
  • Woodford reserve rye
  • Monkey shoulder original
  • Ardbeg 10
  • Laphroaig 10
  • Macallan 12 sherry cask
  • Glenfiddich 12
  • Crown royal ( because my grandfather was Canadian and drank it
  • A bourbon, knob creek
My entire life I never really drank. I was too busy in the dojo and also afraid my grandfathers native American DNA would kick in and become an alcoholic.
Quite a mix there. If you’re interested in developing your palate, I recommend getting a few friends together and doing some focused tastings. For example, you could select four different bourbons, four different examp,es of the same type of scotch (e.g., islay, highland), or four different grades of the same scotch, like a 12 yr, 14, 16, and 18 yr Macallan.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
As if I could afford an 18 year Macallan. The 12 year I got was $75 American in my area. I think my cap right now will be about $120. But yeah looking forward to having a bar room for having people over.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
As if I could afford an 18 year Macallan. The 12 year I got was $75 American in my area. I think my cap right now will be about $120. But yeah looking forward to having a bar room for having people over.
Hopefully, though, you get the idea.

Bourbons are less expensive. If you like a peaty scotch, there's a 12 yr Bowmore that I've seen at the local trader joe's for about $50 a bottle and it's quite good (imo). A lagavulin 16 is also really good, though that's more expensive.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hopefully, though, you get the idea.

Bourbons are less expensive. If you like a peaty scotch, there's a 12 yr Bowmore that I've seen at the local trader joe's for about $50 a bottle and it's quite good (imo). A lagavulin 16 is also really good, though that's more expensive.

How much for a nice bottle of Old Crow?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Japanese wiskey is pretty affordable. It is very light though.

I could pick up a Nikki barrel proof gor $90

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/produ...h0fEY36j-G_Gd7S6x4BoCa_MQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
My wife bought me a bottle of Suntori Chita whiskey one time. It's really good. I've had another bottle from the same distillery, but can't remember which one that was.

Another thing occurred to me. There are a lot of micro-distilleries popping up all over the USA right now. Worth checking out. We have one up in Edmonds that makes a really good whiskey, but GREAT gins and aquavit. Mmmm...

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Japanese whisky is gaining a lot of popularity and so are the micro distilleries. Unfortunately hard spirts in America have a lot more regulations than beer does, and this keeps distribution low.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Japanese whisky has recently (last year or so) taken it's place as my favorite 'style' of whisky, excluding scotch which is generally too expensive for me except for as a gift.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
it's been a sleeper, I read a while back the whiskeys didn't catch on at first , then a reduced production caused a shortage a while back. Can't fast track 10 years of aging (I am sure one could, but it wouldn't be as good

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I enjoy brown liquors, but have recently started drinking gins and aquavit. I've never really liked vodka, but the sheer diversity of flavors from one gin or aquavit to another is fun. I have a couple of local aquavits, one from a distillery in Ballard and another from Edmonds. They're both on the citrus side, and they taste great over a little ice.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Played tennis for the first time in.... probably about 8 years haha.. so much fun! We did about 3 hours or so, I am SO sore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions