Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Still alive. Still kicking. More or less. Process at work has completely changed - we are still working on it. Should be more efficient once it's done... but working a process while it's being designed reminds me of one of those James Bond scenes, where he runs into a car factory, and the car assembles itself around him, and then he drives it off to escape the bad guys. Yeah... kind of like that.

Made a new dance video - sat on this choreography for TWO MONTHS.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
These old ads made me think of the Rainier Beer commercials. Solid, back in the day. But my favorite local beer ad was actually a Weinhard's commercial.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We used to joke that Spam stood for “specially processed artificial meat”
Wait...that's not what it stands for?

As a side, I've only had one experience with Spam. I was either 16/17/18 (most likely 17 turning 18), and me and some friends were at a naval base for a training thing one of us convinced the rest to sign up for. Not anything too intense, we all had a great time. Got woken up at 4AM to swim in cold waters, had to do fitness stuff, but also got to kayak race, learned how to sail a couple different types of boats, and play volleyball/basketball. Wish I remembered more about what it actually was. But I digress...

One of the things we had to do was- one morning, they had someone take us on a boat to a private island that I assume they owned. The guy took us around the island, showed us the different plants on the island, what to watch out for, and let us use his boat to fish. He was gone by the afternoon (I believe our 'training officer', if that's what he was called, stayed with us though). We then had to spend two days/nights on the island, and were given a provision of like 2 cans of spam for the 6 of us in case we were unable to find/get food for some reason. First night we cooked up the fish and opened the spam-each of us tried it. None of us touched the spam for the remainder of the time after that.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

As a side, I've only had one experience with Spam. I was either 16/17/18 (most likely 17 turning 18), and me and some friends were at a naval base for a training thing one of us convinced the rest to sign up for. Not anything too intense, we all had a great time. Got woken up at 4AM to swim in cold waters, had to do fitness stuff, but also got to kayak race, learned how to sail a couple different types of boats, and play volleyball/basketball. Wish I remembered more about what it actually was. But I digress...

One of the things we had to do was- one morning, they had someone take us on a boat to a private island that I assume they owned. The guy took us around the island, showed us the different plants on the island, what to watch out for, and let us use his boat to fish. He was gone by the afternoon (I believe our 'training officer', if that's what he was called, stayed with us though). We then had to spend two days/nights on the island, and were given a provision of like 2 cans of spam for the 6 of us in case we were unable to find/get food for some reason. First night we cooked up the fish and opened the spam-each of us tried it. None of us touched the spam for the remainder of the time after that.
I thought it was spiced ham.

But what I really want to know is two things. Has anyone here ever had whole canned chicken?

And has anyone ever had surstromming (aka, the stinky fish challenge)? If you're ever interested in some fun schadenfreude, watching folks try this is pretty awesome!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Oh look, a person in my promotional line is retiring....
Well...due to the pandemic and the budget there will be no promotions
But I can, and will, take on all his responsibilities.
Do more with less you know
But wait....there is a political friend that wants a promotion
cue angelic music and lights form above
miracle of miracles....he can have the vacated title....
Bit I still keep the extra responsibilities.......
He....appears to have none

There is a rumored early retirement incentive coming early next year, I was not considering it....but I am now

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Oh look, a person in my promotional line is retiring....
Well...due to the pandemic and the budget there will be no promotions
But I can, and will, take on all his responsibilities.
Do more with less you know
But wait....there is a political friend that wants a promotion
cue angelic music and lights form above
miracle of miracles....he can have the vacated title....
Bit I still keep the extra responsibilities.......
He....appears to have none

There is a rumored early retirement incentive coming early next year, I was not considering it....but I am now
I feel you, man.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I thought it was spiced ham.

But what I really want to know is two things. Has anyone here ever had whole canned chicken?

And has anyone ever had surstromming (aka, the stinky fish challenge)? If you're ever interested in some fun schadenfreude, watching folks try this is pretty awesome!

Sweet Sue chicken will make some of the best chicken and dumpling's you will ever eat.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I imagine is was nasty cold. Pretty good fried.
According to the official SPAM website (test) it stands for Sizzle Pork And Mmm. Says it has "six simple ingredients". Pork with ham, salt, water, potato starch, sugar and sodium nitrate.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Remember yesterday and the "do more with less and the miracle promotion.......they may be running smack dab into violating civil service law :) I still get more to do, but they might just not get to put their pal in the opening slot

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Remember yesterday and the "do more with less and the miracle promotion.......they may be running smack dab into violating civil service law :) I still get more to do, but they might just not get to put their pal in the opening slot
What law might they be breaking? I'm very curious.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What law might they be breaking? I'm very curious.

Civil Service Law as it applies to filling State titles for positions requiring testing. You have to be in the title, or taken the test and be on the list. This is not to say they can't make something up, seen that done before, it is just they may not be able to sneak in who they want to that specific title.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have they realized this, or is it going to be a surprise?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Civil Service Law as it applies to filling State titles for positions requiring testing. You have to be in the title, or taken the test and be on the list. This is not to say they can't make something up, seen that done before, it is just they may not be able to sneak in who they want to that specific title.
Yeah, can't speak to the State, but for federal positions, many job series have specialized experience requirements. But you can get around that sometimes by selecting the person into a more generic job series, allowing them to gain the specialized experience on the job, and then reassigning them later. Can be done for very legitimate reasons.

Was this a role you were interested in?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yeah, can't speak to the State, but for federal positions, many job series have specialized experience requirements. But you can get around that sometimes by selecting the person into a more generic job series, allowing them to gain the specialized experience on the job, and then reassigning them later. Can be done for very legitimate reasons.

Was this a role you were interested in?

This is the next step in my line of promotion.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
My wife bought me a new coffee grinder. Now I just have to wait until October to get it. :(

In the words of Inigo Montesano, “I hate waiting.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions