Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Two big issues with that.

If I lose I'll probably 'commiserate' with a cig.

If I win I'll probably 'celebrate' with a cig.

So yeah...

Thing is, I don't smoke all that much (relatively speaking) and I make my own rather than 'standard' cigs - but it's just annoying now and getting ever more expensive.
Just don't stick the e-cigs in your pocket.
Seems like they have the tendency to explode.
Yes, I know I threw them all in one pot.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just don't stick the e-cigs in your pocket.
Seems like they have the tendency to explode.
Yes, I know I threw them all in one pot.

There are reasons they explode...

Main ones:

Counterfeit or low quality cells

Modding current past the capability of the cell, or using inappropriate cells (like trying to drag 20-30 amps out of an old laptop cell rated for a maximum of 5 amps)

Poor quality manufacture leading to electrical failure

Mechanical damage

Bad luck...

Anything powered by lithium cells isn't to be toyed with - it's possible to do extreme mods safely, but really there needs to be some underlying technical understanding.

Luckily, I have an inkling about electronic engineering ;)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are reasons they explode...

Main ones:

Counterfeit or low quality cells

Modding current past the capability of the cell, or using inappropriate cells (like trying to drag 20-30 amps out of an old laptop cell rated for a maximum of 5 amps)

Poor quality manufacture leading to electrical failure

Mechanical damage

Bad luck...

Anything powered by lithium cells isn't to be toyed with - it's possible to do extreme mods safely, but really there needs to be some underlying technical understanding.

Luckily, I have an inkling about electronic engineering ;)
I think that last one transcends electronic engineering. :)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
for those in IT I think you will know the reason this is being said....and what it means

"users"
One need not even be in IT. I had a medical coder virtually break down my e-mail yesterday, demanding to know why she could not get into the coding application. I assumed (never assume!) she had already done all the normal stuff, like re-launch the virtual machine and restart the computer and was going to open a ticket for her with IT, when she e-mailed me, "Oh, never mind, I just restarted my computer and it's fine." :mad:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
One need not even be in IT. I had a medical coder virtually break down my e-mail yesterday, demanding to know why she could not get into the coding application. I assumed (never assume!) she had already done all the normal stuff, like re-launch the virtual machine and restart the computer and was going to open a ticket for her with IT, when she e-mailed me, "Oh, never mind, I just restarted my computer and it's fine." :mad:

I had a guy come to my desk furious, obnoxious and incredibly rude while screaming about the computer for his new staff member not being set up after he followed all the procedures to get it set up on time and she was here and could not work because the entire IT staff was manned by (expletive) idiots who were so (expletive) incompetent they should all be (expletive) fired. I calmly told him I set up the PC before I left the night before and then I calmly asked him to come with me and we walked back down to his office and his new staff member...he mumbling grumbling and occasionally swearing all the way...... I turned on the monitor...that was the only problem. Help the new person log in and then calmly asked him to come with me....we went back to my office......where I read him the riot act and informed him that I would be talking to the CIO as soon as he left my office....

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had a guy come to my desk furious, obnoxious and incredibly rude while screaming about the computer for his new staff member not being set up after he followed all the procedures to get it set up on time and she was here and could not work because the entire IT staff was manned by (expletive) idiots who were so (expletive) incompetent they should all be (expletive) fired. I calmly told him I set up the PC before I left the night before and then I calmly asked him to come with me and we walked back down to his office and his new staff member...he mumbling grumbling and occasionally swearing all the way...... I turned on the monitor...that was the only problem. Help the new person log in and then calmly asked him to come with me....we went back to my office......where I read him the riot act and informed him that I would be talking to the CIO as soon as he left my office....

I used to get similar when people moved desks and decided to take their (pre VoIP) phones with them and plug them into the closest random (invariably unpatched) socket...

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
NICE! That's what I call "going Soviet" on someone. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
NICE! That's what I call "going Soviet" on someone. :)

That guy was incredibly apologetic for days afterwards and was extremely calm in his dealings with IT for the next 2 years, at least when I was in the office, until he retired.

We had another one, different user, but sadly I am not the on that dealt with him. He called because his computer, which was a piece of (expletive) was not working. When the tech got there he noticed that the guys office was re-arranged. He has rearranged his own office and moved his computer and desk. When the tech looked at it he asked "did you plug your computer in?" to which the user responded "Of course I did..see its plugged into the power strip" To which the tech said..."You mean this power strip right here....that you also plugged in...to itself"

The guy plugged everything into the power strip, including the power strip

Last edited:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You get that too... and I thought it was just me :)

I think it's pretty uniform across the board.

Along with people coming up to my desk with "why aren't you replying to my emails, I've sent you loads"

Me: "I haven't seen any, what's the problem?"

Them: "I can't send emails"

o_O

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Im debating giving this forum a break for a while. Too much bickering, which normally I'm fine with, but now it seems people are attacking each other as individuals, and being vicious/mean about it. And making passive-aggressive/snide comments about each other in unrelated threads. Not sure if I'll take the break or not, but it may help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions