Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I could pop down the road and check on him, if you like. I think he was from Lakewood, which isn’t that far.

But come on, guys. Be real here. When I saw @dvcochran ’s comment, I read through his last thread. you guys teamed up on him pretty good. I think a couple mentors, at least two mods, and several other posters went on for multiple pages adding fuel to the fire. When he was really upset, you guys didn’t seem to care too much about whether he would leave or not.

Only way this makes sense is if what you’re really saying is that you regret your role in his departure.

I’m still on good terms with Skribs. We always talked when I was away. I hope he stays in the Arts and writes about it, he’s a good read.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I could pop down the road and check on him, if you like. I think he was from Lakewood, which isn’t that far.

But come on, guys. Be real here. When I saw @dvcochran ’s comment, I read through his last thread. you guys teamed up on him pretty good. I think a couple mentors, at least two mods, and several other posters went on for multiple pages adding fuel to the fire. When he was really upset, you guys didn’t seem to care too much about whether he would leave or not.

Only way this makes sense is if what you’re really saying is that you regret your role in his departure.

I do not recall dishing out anything that was not needed in the course of the conversations. Some people have to be envoked into seeing a topic for a different perspective, something Skirbs struggles with at times. We all do. Sometimes we all get out in left field and need to be pulled back on track. If a person cannot handle getting ganged up on by a bunch of total strangers on a forum, where there are a Lot of informed and passionate people, because of something they were incorrect or misinformed about they probable do not need to spend too much time posting on them.
Skribs has a lot of good comments and information. He is WT TKD so we saw a lot of things eye-to-eye. He/she (I never found out)is apparently young and often came off that way. Certainly not a bad thing but also not a free pass for getting cut slack.
He is passionate and usually was asking some good questions, albeit he frequently went in to long renderings to justify his own interpretation of whatever answer he thought (or was told) was correct.
Pure bashing by definition has zero point of reference. I do not remember that happen, at least with Skribs.

I hope these comments explains things and make at least You feel better. What usually happens as you know is someone comes into the middle a thread, do not investigate the back story and either get offended themselves and start posting ineffective content, or just start bashing the post they do not like or understand. If there are ever going to be minimum standards on this forum with integrated features, it will take so much of the purpose of the forum away that it will have no purpose and most probably less value.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I do not recall dishing out anything that was not needed in the course of the conversations. Some people have to be envoked into seeing a topic for a different perspective, something Skirbs struggles with at times. We all do. Sometimes we all get out in left field and need to be pulled back on track. If a person cannot handle getting ganged up on by a bunch of total strangers on a forum, where there are a Lot of informed and passionate people, because of something they were incorrect or misinformed about they probable do not need to spend too much time posting on them.
Skribs has a lot of good comments and information. He is WT TKD so we saw a lot of things eye-to-eye. He/she (I never found out)is apparently young and often came off that way. Certainly not a bad thing but also not a free pass for getting cut slack.
He is passionate and usually was asking some good questions, albeit he frequently went in to long renderings to justify his own interpretation of whatever answer he thought (or was told) was correct.
Pure bashing by definition has zero point of reference. I do not remember that happen, at least with Skribs.

I hope these comments explains things and make at least You feel better. What usually happens as you know is someone comes into the middle a thread, do not investigate the back story and either get offended themselves and start posting ineffective content, or just start bashing the post they do not like or understand. If there are ever going to be minimum standards on this forum with integrated features, it will take so much of the purpose of the forum away that it will have no purpose and most probably less value.
Okay. You’re kind of making my point. It’s all fun and games, but when you literally help drive a dude off the site, it’s a bit disingenuous to say how much you miss him. Anyway, it’s not a big deal. Just a weakness of mine that I am compelled to mention stuff like this when I see it. Let’s talk about bacon.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I’m still on good terms with Skribs. We always talked when I was away. I hope he stays in the Arts and writes about it, he’s a good read.
You’re on good terms with everyone. ;)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let’s talk about bacon.

I was hoping someone would mention that...

Had too many chicken avo foccacias leftover at work, they asked if I wanted one for lunch. I said yes.

They said we've got too much bacon leftover, would I like some in there.

I said........

...... yes.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay. You’re kind of making my point. It’s all fun and games, but when you literally help drive a dude off the site, it’s a bit disingenuous to say how much you miss him. Anyway, it’s not a big deal. Just a weakness of mine that I am compelled to mention stuff like this when I see it. Let’s talk about bacon.

I am saddened that we have not heard from Skribs in a while. He is a valued member who seemed to be on a good trajectory in his/her MA journey. Good effort was made to add content, which I sorely miss.
With that in mind, most people here are going to make every effort to advise someone when they are off track or misinformed. How that is presented or expressed it usually directly proportional to the inquiry. In other words, if someone is Way off on something and grudgingly does not want to accept what many other people are saying, the responses will naturally get stiffer.
If you have a way to reach out to him/her I hope you will.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't read a lot of threads... mostly due to the fact that if I don't practice the style the chances of the conversation going over my head is way higher than usual(which is saying a lot actually!) Though I digress... if I may ask, why are people quitting?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I found this both clever and accurate. :)

JitsFolding.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Which is basically my memory of how the good old days pretty much worked.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@dvcochran don't worry, I'm still training martial arts. I've just decided to discuss them elsewhere.
@Steve is pretty much spot on. The last thread I'm in came pretty close to cyber-bullying, and instead of mediating the situation, the site administrators just piled on.

Dv, you say you miss my content, but at the same time you say a lot of the time that I needed to be reigned in. You can't just have the part of me that posts content, without the part of me that posts controversial content. Otherwise my content would be boring, the threads would only have a couple posts, and we'd all just be a bunch of yes-men.

Oh, and don't think this post means I'm coming back anytime soon. Just wanted to let you know that I am still alive, still training, and still feel like this site isn't a safe enough space to discuss martial arts.

@Buka, I miss you, man! Not to try and guilt trip you, but if you were active when I quit, I might've stayed. You have a way of defusing situations (like the mods should have) and maybe it wouldn't have gone down like that.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can't just have the part of me that posts content, without the part of me that posts controversial content.

Good to hear from you skribs.

You cannot not put out 'controversial' content without sometimes getting stiff responses. I am certain I have and do surf all the major MA forums/boards out there. Without question what you are describing happens on all of them. In my opinion the accuracy of content and thusly the people here is much more consistently accurate.

I agree, controlled content would be terrible and have mentioned that in several recent posts. That said, one element of an open forum is that it is Open, so there will always give and take. It will never Always be easy and nice, and that is a good thing.

It is nobody's fault and nothing exceptional happened IMHO. I hope you give it some thought and time and come back on a regular basis. I value your input.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@dvcochran don't worry, I'm still training martial arts. I've just decided to discuss them elsewhere.
@Steve is pretty much spot on. The last thread I'm in came pretty close to cyber-bullying, and instead of mediating the situation, the site administrators just piled on.

Dv, you say you miss my content, but at the same time you say a lot of the time that I needed to be reigned in. You can't just have the part of me that posts content, without the part of me that posts controversial content. Otherwise my content would be boring, the threads would only have a couple posts, and we'd all just be a bunch of yes-men.

Oh, and don't think this post means I'm coming back anytime soon. Just wanted to let you know that I am still alive, still training, and still feel like this site isn't a safe enough space to discuss martial arts.

@Buka, I miss you, man! Not to try and guilt trip you, but if you were active when I quit, I might've stayed. You have a way of defusing situations (like the mods should have) and maybe it wouldn't have gone down like that.
Good to hear from you; I've seen you post a few times on reddit and was tempted to message you when I saw them. FWIW, I'm sorry if I was one of the people who helped push you away.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Good to hear from you skribs.

You cannot not put out 'controversial' content without sometimes getting stiff responses. I am certain I have and do surf all the major MA forums/boards out there. Without question what you are describing happens on all of them. In my opinion the accuracy of content and thusly the people here is much more consistently accurate.

I agree, controlled content would be terrible and have mentioned that in several recent posts. That said, one element of an open forum is that it is Open, so there will always give and take. It will never Always be easy and nice, and that is a good thing.

It is nobody's fault and nothing exceptional happened IMHO. I hope you give it some thought and time and come back on a regular basis. I value your input.
Nobody’s fault? Come on, man. You’re hearing, but you’re not listening.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nobody’s fault? Come on, man. You’re hearing, but you’re not listening.
I am hearing.
I have been bashed on this and other forums for some of my viewpoints. I did not pick up my toys and go home. I listen, reflect, and process the input. Do I always change or conform? Of course not and I do not expect anyone else to. But there are times when we all have quality information and advise. Sometimes you just have to hear it.
I am glad there are multiple viewpoints here. It is not that way on some of the other forums at all. Is it harder to navigate sometimes? Yes, only in that it makes a person think about things more.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I am hearing.
I have been bashed on this and other forums for some of my viewpoints. I did not pick up my toys and go home. I listen, reflect, and process the input. Do I always change or conform? Of course not and I do not expect anyone else to. But there are times when we all have quality information and advise. Sometimes you just have to hear it.
I am glad there are multiple viewpoints here. It is not that way on some of the other forums at all. Is it harder to navigate sometimes? Yes, only in that it makes a person think about things more.
You’re hearing.

you aren’t listening.

they aren’t the same thing.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don’t get the safe space concept....maybe I’m just getting old and ornery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions