Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So, a few months back, the oldest tells me he, and some friends, wants to spend a few days in Hawaii during his spring break. He's been working and keeping his grades up and he could handle it all himself. What can I say, he is over 18 so I left it at that.

Friday I call him, no answer and then I text him, no answer.....finally Around Friday at 3:00am I get a text....."sorry I didn't answer sooner, I just got to Hawaii.

He sends me a picture....of him...and his friends...standing on a lava cliff in front of the ocean....his friends......also classmates..... and both female.....and he is now spending the week there..... all I said was.....enjoy Hawaii.....not sure what else to say...like I said...he's legally an adult......

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, a few months back, the oldest tells me he, and some friends, wants to spend a few days in Hawaii during his spring break. He's been working and keeping his grades up and he could handle it all himself. What can I say, he is over 18 so I left it at that.

Friday I call him, no answer and then I text him, no answer.....finally Around Friday at 3:00am I get a text....."sorry I didn't answer sooner, I just got to Hawaii.

He sends me a picture....of him...and his friends...standing on a lava cliff in front of the ocean....his friends......also classmates..... and both female.....and he is now spending the week there..... all I said was.....enjoy Hawaii.....not sure what else to say...like I said...he's legally an adult......
You know, I'm not a parent, so I have absolutely no issue with his choices. I never realized before how enabling the lack of parental experience can be.

I'm really trying to be sympathetic with your plight, Xue, but I'm too much of an uncle for that.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You know, I'm not a parent, so I have absolutely no issue with his choices. I never realized before how enabling the lack of parental experience can be.

I'm really trying to be sympathetic with your plight, Xue, but I'm too much of an uncle for that.

Not really expecting sympathy...looking at this as a guy with no kids....I can see why I would get no sympathy......and if it was not for the youngest (a daughter) I may have a different view of this,,,,but...no matter what....not much I can do....he's over 18.... and if by the time he starts grad school next year...there are no paternity suits....well.....

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not really expecting sympathy...looking at this as a guy with no kids....I can see why I would get no sympathy......and if it was not for the youngest (a daughter) I may have a different view of this,,,,but...no matter what....not much I can do....he's over 18.... and if by the time he starts grad school next year...there are no paternity suits....well.....
Sadly, even if you tried to convince him against it, you probably wouldn't have much luck. I don't know many 18 year old guys who would choose to forego a vacation to hawaii with two girls, no matter how convincing the argument.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well..... I must put this out there as a warning and a bit of advice.... I tried something yesterday..... it was labeled as Kielbasa..... it was Tofurky Kielbasa.... and I have to say..... it was horrible..... maybe...just MAYBE if it was slathered in Ketchup and/or mustard it might be palatable.... but all by itself..... just plain bad

385495011_0_640x640.jpg

that-disgusting-memes.jpg
Turkey is bad enough, but you know, if I am going meat free, I am not getting fake sausage...
If I am going dairy free, no fake cheese either.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
eventually you gotta let them go and hope you done right.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sadly, even if you tried to convince him against it, you probably wouldn't have much luck. I don't know many 18 year old guys who would choose to forego a vacation to hawaii with two girls, no matter how convincing the argument.

eventually you gotta let them go and hope you done right.

Got a call from Hawaii this evening.... having a great time and he loves Hawaii.....

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

What's the problem? It is possible for people of different genders to be friends, you know. Kim has traveled with us 3-4 times a year for about a decade. Lovely young lady. Never laid a hand on her.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What's the problem? It is possible for people of different genders to be friends, you know. Kim has traveled with us 3-4 times a year for about a decade. Lovely young lady. Never laid a hand on her.

True...but you're a married shark wrestling geezer......you are not a single male in your early 20s with single young females in their early 20s.... in Hawaii

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
True...but......are you a single male in your early 20s with single young females in their early 20s.... in Hawaii

Not now, but I have been. I was raised a gentleman. I raised my own children (and step-children) as gentle people. I have no worries, regardless of who their travel companions are.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not now, but I have been. I was raised a gentleman. I raised my own children (and step-children) as gentle people. I have no worries, regardless of who their travel companions are.

Not sure how to take that response.... not sure if I should be laughing or saying calm down, take a few deep breathes.

Listen, he's 20, he's a good kid, he has been accepted by 4 graduate schools into their MS/PhD Program in Engineering, one of those being Cornell. I doubt he will do anything to mess that up. I am not all that upset, but I am concerned, As just about any parent would be, but part of that concern is part of letting go, which has to be done...However with that said, I tend to put pretty much all young males in the Testosterone challenged group.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

That could go a few ways. I hope all turns out well.

gucia6

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not sure how to take that response.... not sure if I should be laughing or saying calm down, take a few deep breathes.

Listen, he's 20, he's a good kid, he has been accepted by 4 graduate schools into their MS/PhD Program in Engineering, one of those being Cornell. I doubt he will do anything to mess that up. I am not all that upset, but I am concerned, As just about any parent would be, but part of that concern is part of letting go, which has to be done...However with that said, I tend to put pretty much all young males in the Testosterone challenged group.
the fact that he is travelling with 2 girls does not mean that he is a wild animal that will through himself on the beautiful prey whenever the chance appears.
On the other hand, he sounds like young healthy man and you are not ready to become grandma yet... well, we live in age that stuff that protects from paternity or catching something 'funny' is available in almost every corner shop.. you can always mention that to him ;)

And well, if he had some more fun that you would wish for, will it make him a bad boy?

Well, at least this is my opinion at the moment. I wonder how it will change when my girls are of this age ...
But I also speak of experience... Back in my young years I was not a saint, my husband wasn't either and we ended up with loving, harmonious family, good jobs and couple of really good and reliable friends.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
the fact that he is travelling with 2 girls does not mean that he is a wild animal that will through himself on the beautiful prey whenever the chance appears.
On the other hand, he sounds like young healthy man and you are not ready to become grandma yet... well, we live in age that stuff that protects from paternity or catching something 'funny' is available in almost every corner shop.. you can always mention that to him ;)

And well, if he had some more fun that you would wish for, will it make him a bad boy?

Well, at least this is my opinion at the moment. I wonder how it will change when my girls are of this age ...
But I also speak of experience... Back in my young years I was not a saint, my husband wasn't either and we ended up with loving, harmonious family, good jobs and couple of really good and reliable friends.

It would take an awful lot for me to become a Grandma......part of that would be a sex change operation :D

I was not a saint at his age, but I was not a brute either.

I am not even thinking he would take advantage of any young woman, or even look at them a "prey". But the 3 are there together for a reason, which, to be honest, at this point, is not really any of my business. But they could be friends, they could be more, time may tell.

I am just being me, and being overly protective and concerned. He has travelled a lot this year, and for the first time, I knew nothing about it until he came home and told me about it. But he's 20 and this is the way it should be. I'm just working on letting go

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would take an awful lot for me to become a Grandma......part of that would be a sex change operation :D

I am not even thinking he would take advantage of any young woman, or even look at them a "prey". But the 3 are there together for a reason, which, to be honest, at this point, is not really any of my business. But they could be friends, they could be more, time may tell.

I am just being me, and being overly protective and concerned. He has travelled a lot this year, and for the first time, I knew nothing about it until he came home and told me about it. But he's 20 and this is the way it should be. I'm just working on letting go
Jeezus, Xue. You sound like a dad.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yeah, you just have to switch your perspective from the way a parent looks at the person who just yesterday it seems was pooping in the potty to the way the world sees them.

And yeah, when daddy's girl goes off to college, it'll be a different game all together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions