Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only thing I hated about going back to school was the final paper. Sucked the life out of what little time I already had.
I actually LOVED writing my thesis. The topic I picked was one that had not been done AT ALL at our school, so I had complete freedom in terms of how to do my research, whom to contact, etc. It was great fun. I would sit down, put on my headphones, crank up Bach or Beethoven full blast, and let the kinematic coefficient equations take me away. Good times!

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well..... I must put this out there as a warning and a bit of advice.... I tried something yesterday..... it was labeled as Kielbasa..... it was Tofurky Kielbasa.... and I have to say..... it was horrible..... maybe...just MAYBE if it was slathered in Ketchup and/or mustard it might be palatable.... but all by itself..... just plain bad

385495011_0_640x640.jpg

that-disgusting-memes.jpg
The problem with so many vegan and vegetarian products is - they try to be meat while remaining vegan and vegetarian, and fail at both, like Raskolnikov in "Crime and Punishment", who failed at being a good person and failed as a criminal. Do one or the other. Either do meat or don't. But don't do pretend meat. The running joke at our house is how much veggie burgers improve if you cook them in real burger grease.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I grew up with metric. So, I can't for the life of me understand WHY, there have to be twelve inches in a foot or 5280.019685 feet in a mile. That just makes no sense.
Not we have definitely jumped over the generation gap. All through grade school (graduated in 1981) we were told the metric system would take over. We were taught it but never practiced it enough for it to really take hold. Base2 vs. Base10? Yea, the base10 math is much easier to figure in your head. **I could not remember how to but the base numbers in subscript. Do you know how?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I actually LOVED writing my thesis. The topic I picked was one that had not been done AT ALL at our school, so I had complete freedom in terms of how to do my research, whom to contact, etc. It was great fun. I would sit down, put on my headphones, crank up Bach or Beethoven full blast, and let the kinematic coefficient equations take me away. Good times!
I guess I can say the same. I was allowed to combine one with some very large work documents I was working on at the time. It was for the city of Chattanooga's water treatment issues with a particular water containment. It was over 5000 pages if I remember correctly. It was the first document where I had to really use legal speak in conjunction with the usual techno-babble. It was criticized a bit and I had to rewrite the opening.
The second was work related but not for a specific job. It had to do with water mass based on particulates. Did I say I hate writing papers?

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well..... I must put this out there as a warning and a bit of advice.... I tried something yesterday..... it was labeled as Kielbasa..... it was Tofurky Kielbasa.... and I have to say..... it was horrible..... maybe...just MAYBE if it was slathered in Ketchup and/or mustard it might be palatable.... but all by itself..... just plain bad

385495011_0_640x640.jpg

that-disgusting-memes.jpg
But why? Why would you even consider trying it?

I know... you need to eat more bacon so that these silly ideas don't even cross the threshold...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The problem with so many vegan and vegetarian products is - they try to be meat while remaining vegan and vegetarian, and fail at both, like Raskolnikov in "Crime and Punishment", who failed at being a good person and failed as a criminal. Do one or the other. Either do meat or don't. But don't do pretend meat. The running joke at our house is how much veggie burgers improve if you cook them in real burger grease.

I have had some black bean burgers that are pretty darn good. But then I am not looking at it as a hamburger substitute. I don't eat beef.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
But why? Why would you even consider trying it?

I know... you need to eat more bacon so that these silly ideas don't even cross the threshold...

I was curious, that is all.... I eat a lot of tofu and did not expect Kielbasa, but I sure as heck did not expect what I got either.....

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not we have definitely jumped over the generation gap. All through grade school (graduated in 1981) we were told the metric system would take over. We were taught it but never practiced it enough for it to really take hold. Base2 vs. Base10? Yea, the base10 math is much easier to figure in your head. **I could not remember how to but the base numbers in subscript. Do you know how?
I am not sure I understand what you mean. How to put the base numbers in subscript? You mean in HTML?

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I eat chicken and turkey sausage, and even the occasional pork..... but never bacon or beef. I eat beef, I feel sick
Jokes aside, let me look something up. Environmental Working Group food safety score for that particular product is 4.5 (10 being the worst). So, it's not horrible, but just because it's vegan, doesn't mean it's really good for you. Looks like the biggest concern there is the processing and high sodium.

Here is the full breakdown.
EWG's Food Scores just took the work out of grocery shopping for me!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Jokes aside, let me look something up. Environmental Working Group food safety score for that particular product is 4.5 (10 being the worst). So, it's not horrible, but just because it's vegan, doesn't mean it's really good for you. Looks like the biggest concern there is the processing and high sodium.

Here is the full breakdown.
EWG's Food Scores just took the work out of grocery shopping for me!

Yes, I know, I follow this stuff..... I don't eat a lot of things for the same reason....it was simple curiosity. And for the record, I eat lo to no sodium food, have for years. Even when I was eating more junk, I preferred no salt chips and I have never salted eggs.

There are a lot of foods out there, called "Natural" that have long technical names in their descriptions because if they wrote the common name, no one would eat them. And they are not regulated by the FCA because the FDA does not see them as food...example, see wood pulp in bread (occasionally listed as powdered cellulose) And then look up where "Carmel Color comes from.

You might find foodbabe.com interesting too

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I need a refresher regarding the difference between "yonder" and "yonderways". I finally managed to sort out the difference between "y'all" and "all y'all".
"Yonder" is a specific, vague point in space. "Yonderways" is the direction from the speaker to that specific, vague point.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not so much a generation gap as an ocean.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, I know, I follow this stuff..... I don't eat a lot of things for the same reason....it was simple curiosity. And for the record, I eat lo to no sodium food, have for years. Even when I was eating more junk, I preferred no salt chips and I have never salted eggs.

There are a lot of foods out there, called "Natural" that have long technical names in their descriptions because if they wrote the common name, no one would eat them. And they are not regulated by the FCA because the FDA does not see them as food...example, see wood pulp in bread (occasionally listed as powdered cellulose) And then look up where "Carmel Color comes from.

You might find foodbabe.com interesting too
Oh, I know! I worked in food manufacturing for two years - learned A LOT about that side of the industry. A friend of mine broke her kids off of drinking Coke by pouring a can of it onto a greasy stain on the stove so they could watch it eat right through. She then said - that's what it does to your tooth enamel (between sugar and caramel color).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had some black bean burgers that are pretty darn good. But then I am not looking at it as a hamburger substitute. I don't eat beef.
The best veggie burgers mimic hamburger patties in shape only. If they actually taste like the veggies - whether it's primarily kale or black beans - they usually end up being pretty good.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Oh, I know! I worked in food manufacturing for two years - learned A LOT about that side of the industry. A friend of mine broke her kids off of drinking Coke by pouring a can of it onto a greasy stain on the stove so they could watch it eat right through. She then said - that's what it does to your tooth enamel (between sugar and caramel color).

And I'm married to a Traditional Chinese Medical Doctor who pays a whole lot of attention to this stuff....heck...she's more strict with this stuff than I am.

And none of the kids ever drank soda..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions