Gravity. It works.

so does
units1.jpg

13.79kg-m/s2

Last edited:
so does
units1.jpg

13.79kg-m/s2
This is a very good pun. But in this case, it would be F = mg. Speaking of Newtons, @gpseymour asked me the other day what a Newton was. And I said it was the amount of force required to move a mass of one kilogram with the acceleration of 1 meter per second squared. For some reason, he was not satisfied by this answer. Apparently, he was looking for something practical, like how it translates into pound-force or something silly like that.

This is a very good pun. But in this case, it would be F = mg. Speaking of Newtons, @gpseymour asked me the other day what a Newton was. And I said it was the amount of force required to move a mass of one kilogram with the acceleration of 1 meter per second squared. For some reason, he was not satisfied by this answer. Apparently, he was looking for something practical, like how it translates into pound-force or something silly like that.

Nope.... a newton is...

6752e1edeb81d226c368337a4031cdcb_fig%20newtons.jpg

That is similar to the industry environment I left before starting my own business. I was the corporate automation director for our 38 north American plants. Over time, I build an engineering group that consisted of about 40 quality engineers, program managers, electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, one civil engineer, tool & die journeymen, millwrights, and about 30 draft techs and multi-purpose techs. We would design and build for all the plants and did 6 projects in Malaysia. Since many of the plants were making and doing the same thing, we focused on procedure and repeatability. Through trial and error and proof of concept we got to where we built the same machines for every plant. It did a lot of good things like greatly reducing machine cost (ROI, payback), seamless employee transfer(all machines operated the same regardless of the location or product they were making), greatly reduced downtime from common part stock and maintenance staff knowledge, and integration with all manufacturing aspects. Some of the plants are unique. This is where the fun was and largely drove me to leave and start my own company. I love when a customer comes in and says something like "I know what I need to make but do not know how to do it". I like it better when we have total responsibility for the finished product, regardless. We have our own proofing system that has worked very well for ensuring all relevant national standards are followed. Then it is the fun "what if" discussions to ferret as many of unforeseen's as possible. I work in the automotive and custom metal stamping environment a lot and that alone presents so many unique factors. Good times.
As a Business Analyst, I made a point to get everything I could out of everyone involve to get all the requirements. They used to call me "pit bull" - because I would get them into the room and not let them out until they all made it clear what exactly they wanted. You know, so we wouldn't end up with this situation.

c075fe832d89efd5fb6d7eb1e0bfd247.jpg

A Newton is a delicious treat, not a cookie, but cake.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

As a Business Analyst, I made a point to get everything I could out of everyone involve to get all the requirements. They used to call me "pit bull" - because I would get them into the room and not let them out until they all made it clear what exactly they wanted. You know, so we wouldn't end up with this situation.

c075fe832d89efd5fb6d7eb1e0bfd247.jpg
Nail one the head, nail on the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back