Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, we recently failed the PPAT on a startup because our customer's customer FMEA fell out of tolerance. Ever heard of that one?
It can happen. FMEA also provides ideas as to how you might want to structure your SIT and UAT. At least I've used it a lot for that purpose. It's a pain in the neck to put together a really comprehensive FMEA, but it's worth it.

Now I want alphabet soup!

OK, now this is different, you don't wrestle sharks or do KMA or TCMA...therefore you must be an expert in FMA.
I've done some FMA. And "some" is easily enough to make me an expert. In fact, it was blended with JMA, which I'm a universal expert on (having studied at least 3 topics in JMA), so I'm even more of an expert.

Well, the level of silliness got so high dealing with the IT main group today.... I went home early.
In the spirit of silliness... here is a still life with a sugar glider.
53310313_2248950265126726_3070614510961164288_n.jpg

Ah! Yeah... that doesn't work very well. FMEA should be created in collaboration between the user and the programmer. That way, everyone who knows what might not work and what trouble it might cause is involved.
Agree. I assume by programmer you mean product program(mer) manager?

Agree. I assume by programmer you mean product program(mer) manager?
Yes, that's right. In a big company this is easier because they have their own technology staff - so it's all done in house. When I worked for Bank of America, this is something they did very well. Don't get me wrong - B of A is a shark. But I want to give credit where credit is due - they did project and program management fabulously. Since they were so big, they could afford not only their own technology team of hundreds but also its own project and program management team of comparable size. So, that's all these people did - they were handpicked for their ability to quickly understand how a specific area work and then take care of stuff: scheduling, testing, coordination of effort, risk analysis (like FMEA), getting the suits to talk to nerds, etc.

Yes, that's right. In a big company this is easier because they have their own technology staff - so it's all done in house. When I worked for Bank of America, this is something they did very well. Don't get me wrong - B of A is a shark. But I want to give credit where credit is due - they did project and program management fabulously. Since they were so big, they could afford not only their own technology team of hundreds but also its own project and program management team of comparable size. So, that's all these people did - they were handpicked for their ability to quickly understand how a specific area work and then take care of stuff: scheduling, testing, coordination of effort, risk analysis (like FMEA), getting the suits to talk to nerds, etc.
That is similar to the industry environment I left before starting my own business. I was the corporate automation director for our 38 north American plants. Over time, I build an engineering group that consisted of about 40 quality engineers, program managers, electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, one civil engineer, tool & die journeymen, millwrights, and about 30 draft techs and multi-purpose techs. We would design and build for all the plants and did 6 projects in Malaysia. Since many of the plants were making and doing the same thing, we focused on procedure and repeatability. Through trial and error and proof of concept we got to where we built the same machines for every plant. It did a lot of good things like greatly reducing machine cost (ROI, payback), seamless employee transfer(all machines operated the same regardless of the location or product they were making), greatly reduced downtime from common part stock and maintenance staff knowledge, and integration with all manufacturing aspects. Some of the plants are unique. This is where the fun was and largely drove me to leave and start my own company. I love when a customer comes in and says something like "I know what I need to make but do not know how to do it". I like it better when we have total responsibility for the finished product, regardless. We have our own proofing system that has worked very well for ensuring all relevant national standards are followed. Then it is the fun "what if" discussions to ferret as many of unforeseen's as possible. I work in the automotive and custom metal stamping environment a lot and that alone presents so many unique factors. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back