Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But that's a boy and his horse.
If the guy had molested a girl's horse, all he would have needed would have been a shovel to gather the remains up.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to skate too.

113997-004-4C51E8CF.jpg
Epic, love it!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Exactly. And I love it when it's a topic that we (general public) would tend to think of as inane. I've talked with skateboarders (mostly seen as lazy slackers back in the day) about the techniques and equipment - man, some of those folks are as well-informed about that as I am about martial arts. It becomes quickly apparent that they aren't lazy slackers, but passionate hobbyists.
Yeah absolutely, it can seem like they're a bunch of dropkicks hehe, but skating and blading takes such incredible discipline, courage and overcoming fear of falling, technique, control, balance, and ridiculous amounts of perseverance (I remember attempting a trick probably about 20 times in a row before I finally nailed it, falling every time haha). And the pros are on a whole other level.

Two of my favourite bladers ever:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@CB Jones , finished watching the recording of the Knicks game, and saw karate combat in Greece, and the listings. Had my dad switch the channel and we watched a match. Pretty cool stuff
As a side note, mine and my dads work schedule are aligned for the first time in a long time (probably since I was in high school). As a result, we can watch knicks games together; we both agree not to watch the game or any spoilers until we're together. I love it, since it lets us stay close, and I'm pretty sure he enjoys it too (any time we talk basketball comes up at some point in the conversation).

The point I'm trying to make is, even if you don't live with your father, or your son if you're a father, figure out a time to do something the two of you enjoy together. Speaking from the sons point of view, whatever the activity is, it is a lot more fun when you know you get to spend quality time with your dad while doing it. And in a weird way, it makes you proud to know that you're continuing something your dad enjoys.

Sort of like a legacy thing, but it reminds you that you're your dad's son. Hopefully that makes sense. All I know is that after I posted the original, the two of us drank quite a few beers watching old boxing matches, and I love my dad.

Anyway, that's my mushiness for the remainder of the year. Remind me in the new year and I'll post another mushy thing.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a side note, mine and my dads work schedule are aligned for the first time in a long time (probably since I was in high school). As a result, we can watch knicks games together; we both agree not to watch the game or any spoilers until we're together. I love it, since it lets us stay close, and I'm pretty sure he enjoys it too (any time we talk basketball comes up at some point in the conversation).

The point I'm trying to make is, even if you don't live with your father, or your son if you're a father, figure out a time to do something the two of you enjoy together. Speaking from the sons point of view, whatever the activity is, it is a lot more fun when you know you get to spend quality time with your dad while doing it. And in a weird way, it makes you proud to know that you're continuing something your dad enjoys.

Sort of like a legacy thing, but it reminds you that you're your dad's son. Hopefully that makes sense. All I know is that after I posted the original, the two of us drank quite a few beers watching old boxing matches, and I love my dad.

Anyway, that's my mushiness for the remainder of the year. Remind me in the new year and I'll post another mushy thing.
That's really nice kempodisciple :). I loved watching cricket with my dad when I was younger, didn't fully understand the game or get it, but I grew to enjoy it and moreso just the time (hours!) spent watching the game with my dad. I'll have to do that again :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't get to do that much - my dad lives a 21-hour drive away, and neither of us have the money to make the trip by air on a regular basis. But he's coming in for 2 weeks around Christmas, and we have some projects planned (we both like fixing things) and will get in some hiking. I miss spending time outdoors with him - he's the one who introduced me to rock climbing when I was a teen.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't get to do that much - my dad lives a 21-hour drive away, and neither of us have the money to make the trip by air on a regular basis. But he's coming in for 2 weeks around Christmas, and we have some projects planned (we both like fixing things) and will get in some hiking. I miss spending time outdoors with him - he's the one who introduced me to rock climbing when I was a teen.

Do it while you can, and enjoy what time you can spend together.

I lost my dad almost 2 years ago - and one thought that never crossed my mind was "I should've spent less time with him"...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I lost my dad almost 2 years ago - and one thought that never crossed my mind was "I should've spent less time with him"...
Sorry to hear of your loss. I almost lost my mom this year...I can only imagine.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's 28-hour drive. That's how long it took us when we had three drivers and went non-stop. With two drivers and having to stop overnight, it takes 36 hours.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

I am so sorry - that is rough. I lost my mom when I was 14, and my dad and stepmom live in Ukraine - currently being invaded by Russia. I asked them if we need to turn over heaven and earth and bring them here, but they don't want to come. Which I understand - they don't speak English, and, after all, Ukraine is their home, that's where all their friends are, graves of their parents, etc. I haven't seen them since 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions