Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pretty sure huiyideni62121586 is Skynet.

MW-GD647_skynet_20180213113524_ZH.jpg

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Am I the only one left?

Have the rest of the members been terminated?

Starting to get worried.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're not alone...

Unless I'm simply a bot responding to fool you.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite type pf pie... is... apple...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shall do.

And because I'm too lazy to Google it - what's the advantage with smaller wheels and stuff on the other types?
Generally biggers wheels allow you to go faster and with more efficiency, so basically less effort which is much better for longer distance skating and saving alot of energy (can glide much longer between pushes).

Smaller wheels will roll more slowly and you will generally go slower, but they offer more agility so much better for ramp and street skating. But also the smaller wheels allow a bigger grind gap in the middle of your frame so the wheels don't get caught while grinding.

But now they've come out with these "anti-rockers" instead of the two middle wheels, which are essentially plastic and you don't even really roll on them, makes for easier grinds.

All depends on the sort of skating you wanna do! Razors have now come out with the 'Shift' skates, which you can change the frame really seamlessly from aggressive/street to urban/rec/power blade setups. So would love these haha..

Razors Shift 2 Skates - Inline Warehouse

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a group of people looking to resurrect the roller disco idea near me - went to their trial one and looking forward to when they start up holding them regularly in the new year.

The old type ones (quads they're called now by all accounts) are a bit different, but that's what I grew up with - don't think blades even existed when I was a kid.

Edit: ok, they definitely existed - but weren't common...
Awesome, yeah we've had a roller disco/rink here in our area for decades, so much fun... although the music they crank out now has certainly changed, ugh..

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Generally biggers wheels allow you to go faster and with more efficiency, so basically less effort which is much better for longer distance skating and saving alot of energy (can glide much longer between pushes).

Smaller wheels will roll more slowly and you will generally go slower, but they offer more agility so much better for ramp and street skating. But also the smaller wheels allow a bigger grind gap in the middle of your frame so the wheels don't get caught while grinding.

But now they've come out with these "anti-rockers" instead of the two middle wheels, which are essentially plastic and you don't even really roll on them, makes for easier grinds.

All depends on the sort of skating you wanna do! Razors have now come out with the 'Shift' skates, which you can change the frame really seamlessly from aggressive/street to urban/rec/power blade setups. So would love these haha..

Razors Shift 2 Skates - Inline Warehouse
Dude, it always feels amazing to hear about something that I have so little experience with that it seems like there's really nothing to know about it. It always turns out there's so much more depth to seemingly banal stuff like skates for grinding.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
My thinking also was that smaller wheels are less suitable for rougher surfaces.

So the slightly larger wheels on mine will cope much better with old tarmac and the like, where there are little holes and cracks - riding over what a smaller wheel might drop into and stop (with obvious faceplant consequences).

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dude, it always feels amazing to hear about something that I have so little experience with that it seems like there's really nothing to know about it. It always turns out there's so much more depth to seemingly banal stuff like skates for grinding.

Yeah I love hearing about stuff too that you wouldn't think there's much to it, but it's fascinating seeing just how much time and effort goes into these things, they really have fine-tuned it alot over time!

And not to mention the thought that goes into the different wheels, whoooweeee that's a whole other story! (Particular chemistry of the polyurethane, hardness which is measured in 'Shores' which I'd never heard of, diameter, inner core, the particular profile: square/flat, elliptical, round).

Oh and bearing design too... good thing is most of the rollerblading companies are owned by skaters so they know what they're looking for in a skate!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
My thinking also was that smaller wheels are less suitable for rougher surfaces.

So the slightly larger wheels on mine will cope much better with old tarmac and the like, where there are little holes and cracks - riding over what a smaller wheel might drop into and stop (with obvious faceplant consequences).
Yep you're right there

Small and hard wheels for ramp/skatepark/aggressive skating

Bigger and soft wheels for street skating

Harder wheels with very big diameters for speed skating

I still use my blades on street/rougher surfaces every now and then, but probably does wear them out quicker. And yep... them cracks in the concrete really mess things up haha..

This site goes right into depth with all the different wheels and their uses haha, I'm learning lots reading about it

Anatomy of an inline skate wheel - Online-skating.com

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I love hearing about stuff too that you wouldn't think there's much to it, but it's fascinating seeing just how much time and effort goes into these things, they really have fine-tuned it alot over time!

And not to mention the thought that goes into the different wheels, whoooweeee that's a whole other story! (Particular chemistry of the polyurethane, hardness which is measured in 'Shores' which I'd never heard of, diameter, inner core, the particular profile: square/flat, elliptical, round).

Oh and bearing design too... good thing is most of the rollerblading companies are owned by skaters so they know what they're looking for in a skate!
Exactly. And I love it when it's a topic that we (general public) would tend to think of as inane. I've talked with skateboarders (mostly seen as lazy slackers back in the day) about the techniques and equipment - man, some of those folks are as well-informed about that as I am about martial arts. It becomes quickly apparent that they aren't lazy slackers, but passionate hobbyists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions