Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I removed tile yesterday from our family room. Put in the new floor today. Looks great, but I am wiped out.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re-leveled the heat pump yesterday (recent rains washed out under it) with a small retaining wall. Started work on terracing in the ivy bed, where some unnamed animals of our acquaintance have dug what now amounts to a small cave into the slope. I need to learn to split these "stones" in half so I can properly stagger them.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yeah. Had a huge bone in prime rib. My wife came out to visit while I was there and we went. Pretty funny story, too, but wouldn’t translate to text very well.

It's a great place. Went there a few times in my misspent youth. Also when my parents were dating they went there as well.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes, yes you would...since

我不会说俄语
Wǒ bù huì shuō èyǔ
(I can't speak Russain)
You know... one of these words actually means something very rude in Russian. Not a joke. Purely a coincidence, I am sure.

No, @gpseymour , I am not telling you, which one and what it means. Stop asking.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You know... one of these words actually means something very rude in Russian. Not a joke. Purely a coincidence, I am sure.

No, @gpseymour , I am not telling you, which one and what it means. Stop asking.

There are words in Chinese that sound just like words in English...but have an entirely different meaning. There are also words in english that can be rather innocuous, but translated into Mandarin (this could be a Beijing thing) are major insults. words like Chicken and Turtle (calling someone a Chicken or a Turtle). Also if you sat to someone in the US...."You're Crazy" that may not get any response at all. In Beijing say to someone

你疯了
Nǐ fēngle (You're crazy)

You might just get punch in the face

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
now THAT was a lunch

Mushroom Egg Foo Young
Vegetable Dumplings
Rice
Green Tea

Life is good...... but it could be better.....if I didn't leave the Red Bean bun...with real red beans....not paste...at home

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Forgive me, community, for I was weak. I succumbed to the grocery store Chinese buffet. I blame the need to buy distilled water for the CPAP machine and about 50 planks we did in yoga. That's my story, and I am sticking with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions