Lajust system

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am 100% with you on the sock sensor issue. I think it should cover the entire foot. I am guessing that doing that though, the sensors that would end up on the ball of the foot, would either wear out very quickly or cause a lack of balance / cause players to slip since a fighters weight is almost exclusively on the balls of their feet for the duration of the fight.

Reading directly from the rules on the WTF website, The head is clearly defined as "2) Head: The area above the collar bone" which is pretty clear and leaves no room for interpretation. Front, back, side, top, face etc it's all the head. Where there is room for interpretation is where the rules say that it will be regarded as a point when any part of the foot "touches" the head. because a touch to me means, regardless of power etc if my toe, comes in slight contact with any part of your head, I deserve 3 points. But we all know that does not happen.

The body however is not so clearly defined in the rules. "1) Trunk: Attack by fist and foot techniques on the areas covered by the trunk protector are permitted. However, such attacks shall not be made on the part of the spine." and further defined as "Trunk: As depicted in the following illustration, the area covered by the trunk protector between the armpit and the pelvis is the legal attacking area. Thus, trunk protector should be worn according to the rule on the size of trunk protector for each weight category and the physique of each contestant."

That my friend leaves a huge hole open for interpretation and, in my opinion, is what allows LaJust to get away with hogus that do not wrap around the back.

This my friend is only one small problem how to interpet any and all of the rules, I know in international play the rules vary somewhat but we must adapt and learn all aspect of the sport to really be a top level competitor.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This my friend is only one small problem how to interpet any and all of the rules, I know in international play the rules vary somewhat but we must adapt and learn all aspect of the sport to really be a top level competitor.

I cant argue with that ;)

LaJust

White Belt
Reaction score
This is also for LaJust. What about the issue with cell phones being the casue of some issues? I heard this was the case for a few matches at the the 2010 US Open.
That is a great question and to answer it properly I'm going to try and give you some understanding at a high level on our radio technology, so please bear with me :)

Our RF system is actually very complex. It has to be to allow hundreds of chest protectors and dozens of rings all turned on and communicating at the same time in a small area without degrading. This is something that just can't be achieved with consumer technologies like WiFi or Bluetooth so we designed our own proprietary system. We used the services of a company in California that designs communications systems for the tomahawk missile so they know what they are doing :)

It also had to be designed to be extremely secure so that the scoring information could not be intercepted or tampered with. It isn't hard to imagine someone wanting to tamper with the scores using their own modified transmitter so we use military spec (AES) encryption along with other techniques to ensure this cannot happen. All the security set up happens when the receiver is first connected to the Hogu through the use of a cable for registration (we use a cable because there is no way to intercept that so it is completely secure, those guys in California are just paranoid but in a good way!)

Lastly, the receiver has to work in every country so we had to use frequencies that we could license and have approved world wide which means we had to compromise on the power levels we are allowed to use. Because we can only use very low power levels similar to Bluetooth devices (and you have probably experienced they don't go very far) we had to make the radio device in the LaJust receiver VERY sensitive.

The receiver and the hogus are continuously communicating (even when they are not in a match and just turned on) and should anything try to interfere with that communication the software will immediately stop the match. For this reason, there is no middle ground when it comes to scoring, this design means it is virtually impossible by design for a valid hit not to be received. It is also the reason we go through a LOT of triple-A batteries in the Hogus :)

As you have probably experienced, if you put a cell phone up anywhere close to speakers you can see how those signals have an effect. The receiver is so sensitive that having wireless microphone transmitters, cellular phones (especially those with Bluetooth or WiFi turned on) close to the receiver will block the communication and the software will stop the match. We are very explicit in our manual and training that NO transmitters should be used within 6 foot of the operator table with the equipment.

In short, the communication "failure" is a design feature to ensure we have 100% secure and continuously monitored communications between the devices. If you don't see the failure notice, you can be assured that there is a 100% accurate and secure connection between the devices and the receiver. No scores will ever be "lost" in transmission.

Thanks for bearing with me in this long winded answer :)

Jonathan

Last edited:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is a great question and to answer it properly I'm going to try and give you some understanding at a high level on our radio technology, so please bear with me :)

Our RF system is actually very complex. It has to be to allow hundreds of chest protectors and dozens of rings all turned on and communicating at the same time in a small area without degrading. This is something that just can't be achieved with consumer technologies like WiFi or Bluetooth so we designed our own proprietary system. We used the services of a company in California that designs communications systems for the tomahawk missile so they know what they are doing :)

It also had to be designed to be extremely secure so that the scoring information could not be intercepted or tampered with. It isn't hard to imagine someone wanting to tamper with the scores using their own modified transmitter so we use military spec (AES) encryption along with other techniques to ensure this cannot happen. All the security set up happens when the receiver is first connected to the Hogu through the use of a cable for registration (we use a cable because there is no way to intercept that so it is completely secure, those guys in California are just paranoid but in a good way!)

Lastly, the receiver has to work in every country so we had to use frequencies that we could license and have approved world wide which means we had to compromise on the power levels we are allowed to use. Because we can only use very low power levels similar to Bluetooth devices (and you have probably experienced they don't go very far) we had to make the radio device in the LaJust receiver VERY sensitive.

The receiver and the hogus are continuously communicating (even when they are not in a match and just turned on) and should anything try to interfere with that communication the software will immediately stop the match. For this reason, there is no middle ground when it comes to scoring, this design means it is virtually impossible by design for a valid hit not to be received. It is also the reason we go through a LOT of triple-A batteries in the Hogus :)

As you have probably experienced, if you put a cell phone up anywhere close to speakers you can see how those signals have an effect. The receiver is so sensitive that having wireless microphone transmitters, cellular phones (especially those with Bluetooth or WiFi turned on) close to the receiver will block the communication and the software will stop the match. We are very explicit in our manual and training that NO transmitters should be used within 6 foot of the operator table with the equipment.

In short, the communication "failure" is a design feature to ensure we have 100% secure and continuously monitored communications between the devices. If you don't see the failure notice, you can be assured that there is a 100% accurate and secure connection between the devices and the receiver. No scores will ever be "lost" in transmission.

Thanks for bearing with me in this long winded answer :)

Jonathan
Thanks, that explains why there were a few stopped matches and the TA's at that table stated cell phones.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LaJust can you please answer some of my question?

Thanks
Sincerly
Terry

LaJust

White Belt
Reaction score
La Just let me ask you this can we get your real first name? I know it is small request but I am more at ease with a real name, second which sysytem will be at National in Orlando? Can you ever do anything about a straight forward kick, when will tey be able to be scored, you see now it needs to be like a scape and not a direct line to be scored? Last thing when has the back portion not been a scoring area? I was under the impression the back up to the spine is legal but yet no scensors to score these point, it leave alot of double and triple kicks not scoreable?

Once again thanks for coming on and answering all the question for us.:asian:

Hi. Unfortunately I don't have any committed dates for availability the new equipment with the upgraded sensors nor when we will have the version with the neutral color sensor pads. Once we actually have them in the US I'll be able to post details on the improvements we see and at what competition they will be used and if that has any effect on things like the push kick. The push kick has always been a contentious issue with judges long before electronic sensors were introduced, with judges who prefer not to score these because they are not in fact kicks but a push versus players and coaches who want to have them scored, and so what gets scored by judges at local and regional matches isn't always the same as judges at international events. In my opinion, these are no win situations for any electronic sensor system and that is one reason the ring judges have their hand controllers to award points.

I think other people have covered the question on scoring areas and all I can do is point to the changes in the WTF rules along with their decision on the approved design of the Electronic Hogu target locations in my opinion speaks volumes to their intention whether we like it or not. The one constant in this sport like most others is change and I'm sure it won't be the last we see :)

The sensors themselves in the Hogu are more than capable of scoring double and triple kicks in rapid succession -- in fact I test that by taking a rubber mallet covered with the sock sensor material and we attempt to hit them continuously faster than it can count but it never misses.

Thanks for the question.
Jonathan

Bones

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am very impressed that you came on this BBS. The Lajust system has taken a beating on this board.

My major complaint is that it is to thick and bulky. Takes the shock out of the game. The body shots don't hurt nearly as much as with other hogus and those who kick hard to the body don't get the impact. No shots to the backside is another issue! You have to change your game to fit the Hogu. The Hogu should have been designed to fit the game. The backside is a legal scoring area(why no sensors).

The DAEDO TRUE SCORE System seems to be a better system. We will use it in Spain in a few weeks. I would like to know your thoughts around what differentiates your product from the other EBP systems out there?

It is good to know that you are concerned about the sport and are involved.

Thanks for posting on the Board!

Gorilla, what update do you have on Daedo and your comparison on Daedo v Lajust?

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gorilla, what update do you have on Daedo and your comparison on Daedo v Lajust?

Scoring on both are inconsistent...Daedo you can score to the backside and they are like regular Hogu's(they only weigh 8 ounces more)...you have more options with Daedo so overall I like that system the best. But it is head kickers game now and the lead leg and the cut kick are very important...

Latest Discussions