Kwan certificates

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Brad:

Sometime back there was a very uncomfortable time in the Hapkido community, that made a lot of people ask questions not unlike the one that you are asking. It was an ugly time and caused many people to question what terms like "recognized by...", or "accepted by..." or "certified by..." actually meant. For instance, one very common point was for an organization to say that they were "recognized by the Korean government." This kind of stuff used to drive me up the wall. I've gotten better about this but not because I have ever gotten a good answer. For instance, I know a point that is made with organizations is that a person who joins can "go to any member school in the organization." Sometimes "free of charge" is added. Now, my personal experience having been in the Hapkido community for almost 20 years is that I have NEVER --- not once---- been turned away from an event because I was NOT a member of that organization. I can also say that I have ALWAYS been expected to pay admission excepting those times when I have taught a module at the event. In like manner an organization will always take your money for tests, certification, membership fees and events. Whether you get back sufficent reward for your investment is, of course, your own affair.

The way I have come to look at it, in a kwan, the testing and certification are signs along the road of your particular journey. Since no two people are headed to the same place, those road signs are only going to mean as much to you as is the importance of your destination. People are going to recognize, or not recognize the worth of your paper based on what they see you do and how they are feeling on a given day--- and nothing else. The idea of having a paper and walking into an activity anywhere in the World and having the room go quiet in awe is probably a pleasant fantsy--- but nothing more. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Brad Dunne said:
Kwan Certificates are only accepted by the Kwan itself, esspecially in our day with more formalized Asssociations.
I don't know of any other HKD Association that recognizes Kwan certificates either.

The KHF for example won't recognize ANY Kwan issed certificates even from it's own member schools.

Please forgive my impertinence, but this question just begs to be asked. If the KHF won't recognize member kwan certificates, what's the reason for becoming a member of the KHF and why then do they list all those kwans that they say they recognize? Kind of sounds a little squirrelly don't you think? How does the KHF go about accepting an individual who wishes to become a member? I thought I read that they will accept your entry at your current rank, if the source of your rank is considered valid by their standards. To me that's accepting your kwan or organizational ranking.
Greetings,

Kwans of like minds and values all agreed to the "concept" of the a governing body which becomes more important than the individual, if it was the other way around the organization would be of no real value so to speak, with the Kwan and thier certs being of equal importance.

The KHF only accepts someone who joins through a recognized Kwan, and the the Master of that Kwan has to reccomend a student for KHF Dan rank, it is then up to the dan commitee to aprove the grade applied for.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Todd:

".....What do you all think when one uses the name of an extinct kwan and claims to be a part of this?

When the Kwan was not used even before one joined this organization!

I think it smells a little like misrepresenting themselves....."

Since its been demonstrated that no misrepresentation has taken place, that the kwan is NOT extinct, and that I and other are in fact members of this Kwan wouldn't it be a nice thing to apologize for your posts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
".....Nothing has been established as fact!!! ...."

I disagree. I think it has been demonstrated beyond a shadow of a doubt what kind of students Lim has. Whatever fancy claims you want to make about what you do, Todd, I think its pretty clear that you're too full of yourself to admit when you have made a mistake.

Bruce

OP
M

Master Todd Miller

Bruce,

It is sad when a 53 year old adult needs to resort to insulting anyone who does not agree with their view.

I will not keep going on with this. You have your view I have mine lets just leave it at that.

Rick J

White Belt
Reaction score
Not to start anything here but I'm curious, was Bruce banned from this site because of his last post in this thread?

Rick.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rick J said:
Not to start anything here but I'm curious, was Bruce banned from this site because of his last post in this thread?

Rick.
This was a decision made by the admin team after careful consideration of a collection of posts and private communications.

Remember, folks: When a Moderator or other staff posts a warning in a thread, it is not always because of the post immediately preceeding the warning, Just as when a user is banned, it is not necessarily because of the last post on the board from that user. In the interest of continuing flow of conversation and fairness, we will not (with rare exception) point out precise individuals and precise infractions in the public thread.

For more information, please contact the [email protected].

Thanks for asking,

Georgia Ketchmark
Sr. Moderator

Latest Discussions