Kung Fu Shoes - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by Ak1920, May 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    No idea. I just think they're comfy around the house.

2. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Sketchers generally aren't truly sport shoes. They're casual shoes with some sport shoe features. I'd expect almost any running trainer (as opposed to a competition running shoe, which can be much thinner) to have much more cushion than most casual shoes.

That said, I'm not sure I'm as concerned about cushioning during my MA training, though that might be because I've spent so much of my time training (even the exercise portion) on mats.

3. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

I'm talking about outdoor training. If you train indoor on mat, the shoes cushioning may not be that important for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

It just depends on how you are training. If you are training to learn how to fight then those shoes aren't going to be good. This is what I train in, because these shoes can take some punishment. I used to train on carpet and asphalt, now I train on concrete, asphalt, dirt, and grass. So these are just a good all around shoes. But they are bad for carpet because they have way too much grip on carpet. It was common to smell burning rubber in the school where I used to train because of all of the friction these shoes have on carpet.
    upload_2020-5-23_1-42-36.jpeg
    My idea shoe to train in are wrestling shoes on any surface. The problem with these shoes is that they were never designed to take the punishment for martial arts training so they will last about 4 years before you have to start taping the soles of the shoe. to prevent burning a hold through the bottom of it.
    [​IMG]

I also train in boots too, but that's just to keep my kung fu from getting too comfortable with any specific type of shoe. I don't use my boots as designated training uniform.

As for the shoes that you are looking at. Don't buy those. I have always heard kung fu practitioners state that those shoes don't last long. You'll usually see those shoes being used with Tai Chi and Wushu. Everyone who I know that have tried those shoes have stated that the soles aren't durable.

The only shoe that I wouldn't train kung fu in are running shoes. Running shoes weren't made to deal with lateral movement and as of such will affect your balance in a negative way and will increase your risk of hurting your ankle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

The most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. I'm actually buying a new pair this month. My old pair has duct table being used as a substitute sole. The only shoes I've ever had where the stitch didn't fail on me.

6. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

That's 2 people who say it's great. Makes me want to give it a try.

7. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

You just have to land differently and engage more of the muscles in your toes and the ball of your foot to help make the landing softer. for me it wasn't a big change as I used to play a lot of basketball where I was on my toes much of the time.

Definitely. 100% correct. A must

8. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

This is the same story that I hear from other martial artists who have bought "martial arts shoes" When you go to kung fu schools that get in a lot of physical training, you won't see many with these shoes on. Freddy should have stopped after the first $200. for "martial arts shoes" ha ha ha. It took him thousands of dollars to give up on those shoes lol.

The other thing I've heard about "martial arts shoes" is that they have the worst support. I've never understood the "lightness factor" that was always strange with me. Big tough martial arts guy who is powerful and strong complains about heavy shoes. lol. I could never undstand the mentality of that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    This is also my opinion. I’ve found cross trainers to be a better choice than running shoes.

Court shoes (basketball, tennis) could be a good choice as well.

10. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

I think I've had my New Balance runners for... close to 17 years now... love em! They have started falling apart the last couple of years but they're so comfortable!

11. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

thats possibly because your not bouncing up and down enough

12. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

dear god,17 YEARS.. ive never got more than 12 months out of any shoe that ive actually worn with any regularity

13. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    We train in shoes because we do a specific stepping and pivoting method that grinds the bottom of the feet on the ground. Mostly I train outside on the concrete, so I grind away the soles of the shoes. I keep a pair of shoes that I only wear for training and if my training is consistent and regular then they might last as little as six months before I’ve ground it away. Sometimes they last as long as a year.

I used to belong to a fitness gym and I would practice in the group exercise room when it wasn’t being used. That had a nice hardwood floor, and those shoes lasted a few years. But on the concrete, they have a short lifespan.

This is also why thin or flimsy shoes are no good for what I train. I could wreck them very quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  14. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    As I said, it's probably because I'm usually on mats. Bare feet on good grappling mats is a lot of padding.

15. ShortBridge

ShortBridge 2nd Black Belt

It sounds like you are not training right now, so I wouldn't try to solve the riddle of the proper footwear. It doesn't really matter what we train in, unless you're training with us.

When you find the place that you want to train and the person you want to learn from, they'll tell you what they prefer.

I own my own school and have strong preferences, but if I found a style and a teacher that I wanted to study with, I'd put my preferences aside and wear whatever they wanted me to.

16. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Haha.. yeah used to use them for running, then only used them every now and then for non-running stuff. Somehow they've lasted!

17. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    The only shoes I can think of that have lasted me that long are my western boots. Haven't used them much for running, though.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

i have a pair of gucci shoes that are a decade on, this is because they were so expensive that i only wear them for high days and holidays, they are however now out of fashion so are worse for their purpose than useless

there is nothing in the world more useless than high fashion that is no longer in fashion123

• Agree Agree x 1