Kung Fu Shoes - Yes or No?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought my Nike, I also bought a pair of Skechers. I felt the Skechers is too hard for running. If I compare Nike Air Monarch IV with Skechers, for the shock absorbing, I'll give

- 8-9 for Nike Air Monarch IV, and
- 4-5 for Skechers.

I don't know what technology that Air Monarch use. I find out it's much better in "shock absorbing" than all the shoes that I have had from New Balance before. The moment that I have my Nike Air Monarch IV on, the moment that I know my New Balance live is over (I used New Balance in the past 40 years).
Sketchers generally aren't truly sport shoes. They're casual shoes with some sport shoe features. I'd expect almost any running trainer (as opposed to a competition running shoe, which can be much thinner) to have much more cushion than most casual shoes.

That said, I'm not sure I'm as concerned about cushioning during my MA training, though that might be because I've spent so much of my time training (even the exercise portion) on mats.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is important? Flexibility, grip, canvas
It just depends on how you are training. If you are training to learn how to fight then those shoes aren't going to be good. This is what I train in, because these shoes can take some punishment. I used to train on carpet and asphalt, now I train on concrete, asphalt, dirt, and grass. So these are just a good all around shoes. But they are bad for carpet because they have way too much grip on carpet. It was common to smell burning rubber in the school where I used to train because of all of the friction these shoes have on carpet.
upload_2020-5-23_1-42-36.jpeg

My idea shoe to train in are wrestling shoes on any surface. The problem with these shoes is that they were never designed to take the punishment for martial arts training so they will last about 4 years before you have to start taping the soles of the shoe. to prevent burning a hold through the bottom of it.
images

I also train in boots too, but that's just to keep my kung fu from getting too comfortable with any specific type of shoe. I don't use my boots as designated training uniform.

As for the shoes that you are looking at. Don't buy those. I have always heard kung fu practitioners state that those shoes don't last long. You'll usually see those shoes being used with Tai Chi and Wushu. Everyone who I know that have tried those shoes have stated that the soles aren't durable.

The only shoe that I wouldn't train kung fu in are running shoes. Running shoes weren't made to deal with lateral movement and as of such will affect your balance in a negative way and will increase your risk of hurting your ankle.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I actually like wrestling shoes for training

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk
9316217dbe8f2fba88e049edef3111dd.jpg
The most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. I'm actually buying a new pair this month. My old pair has duct table being used as a substitute sole. The only shoes I've ever had where the stitch didn't fail on me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The only issue is the wrestling shoes doesn't absorb the shock when you jump up and land back down. If you do 30 jumping kicks, you can feel it.
You just have to land differently and engage more of the muscles in your toes and the ball of your foot to help make the landing softer. for me it wasn't a big change as I used to play a lot of basketball where I was on my toes much of the time.

Ultimately you need to break down why you need shoes and then buy shoes for that purpose.
Definitely. 100% correct. A must

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And while I am looking up kung fu shoes. This came up.

It is a point I have made before that just because something is specific to a task. It doesn't mean it is better at that task.

This is the same story that I hear from other martial artists who have bought "martial arts shoes" When you go to kung fu schools that get in a lot of physical training, you won't see many with these shoes on. Freddy should have stopped after the first $200. for "martial arts shoes" ha ha ha. It took him thousands of dollars to give up on those shoes lol.

The other thing I've heard about "martial arts shoes" is that they have the worst support. I've never understood the "lightness factor" that was always strange with me. Big tough martial arts guy who is powerful and strong complains about heavy shoes. lol. I could never undstand the mentality of that.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The only shoe that I wouldn't train kung fu in are running shoes. Running shoes weren't made to deal with lateral movement and as of such will affect your balance in a negative way and will increase your risk of hurting your ankle.

This is also my opinion. I’ve found cross trainers to be a better choice than running shoes.

Court shoes (basketball, tennis) could be a good choice as well.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don’t like the feuyue they just don’t fit my feet well. I haven’t found any specifically “Kung fu” shoes that I think are worth a damn. I wear New Balance, they fit my feet the best. Typically a cross-trainer type shoe.
Apparently people think New Balance is a 'nerdy' brand. I've had people make comments about it when I wear them, but it's the only brand I buy from. By far the best for whatever it is that I'm interested in doing on a given day.
I think I've had my New Balance runners for... close to 17 years now... love em! They have started falling apart the last couple of years but they're so comfortable!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sketchers generally aren't truly sport shoes. They're casual shoes with some sport shoe features. I'd expect almost any running trainer (as opposed to a competition running shoe, which can be much thinner) to have much more cushion than most casual shoes.

That said, I'm not sure I'm as concerned about cushioning during my MA training, though that might be because I've spent so much of my time training (even the exercise portion) on mats.
thats possibly because your not bouncing up and down enough

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think I've had my New Balance runners for... close to 17 years now... love em! They have started falling apart the last couple of years but they're so comfortable!
dear god,17 YEARS.. ive never got more than 12 months out of any shoe that ive actually worn with any regularity

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We train in shoes because we do a specific stepping and pivoting method that grinds the bottom of the feet on the ground. Mostly I train outside on the concrete, so I grind away the soles of the shoes. I keep a pair of shoes that I only wear for training and if my training is consistent and regular then they might last as little as six months before I’ve ground it away. Sometimes they last as long as a year.

I used to belong to a fitness gym and I would practice in the group exercise room when it wasn’t being used. That had a nice hardwood floor, and those shoes lasted a few years. But on the concrete, they have a short lifespan.

This is also why thin or flimsy shoes are no good for what I train. I could wreck them very quickly.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm trying to learn more about wearing shoes while practicing Kung Fu and what brands are most popular. Im not currently practicing but need to do some research so thought might as well ask some experts to get the facts. What is important? Flexibility, grip, canvas, etc.

Any feedback is helpful. The brand I am researching is Feiyue.

Thanks for your help!

It sounds like you are not training right now, so I wouldn't try to solve the riddle of the proper footwear. It doesn't really matter what we train in, unless you're training with us.

When you find the place that you want to train and the person you want to learn from, they'll tell you what they prefer.

I own my own school and have strong preferences, but if I found a style and a teacher that I wanted to study with, I'd put my preferences aside and wear whatever they wanted me to.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
dear god,17 YEARS.. ive never got more than 12 months out of any shoe that ive actually worn with any regularity
Haha.. yeah used to use them for running, then only used them every now and then for non-running stuff. Somehow they've lasted!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha.. yeah used to use them for running, then only used them every now and then for non-running stuff. Somehow they've lasted!
The only shoes I can think of that have lasted me that long are my western boots. Haven't used them much for running, though.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The only shoes I can think of that have lasted me that long are my western boots. Haven't used them much for running, though.
i have a pair of gucci shoes that are a decade on, this is because they were so expensive that i only wear them for high days and holidays, they are however now out of fashion so are worse for their purpose than useless

there is nothing in the world more useless than high fashion that is no longer in fashion

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I actually like wrestling shoes for training

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk
9316217dbe8f2fba88e049edef3111dd.jpg
The problem of wrestling shoes is it doesn't come with 4E width for my wide feet. I have 2 pairs of it. It always hurt my feet.

I don't understand why wrestling shoes doesn't even come with E width.