Question on sparring shoes

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I teach a karate/TKD class on carpet at a recreation center, I currently wear tennis shoes when I teach due to the stress on my knees after being at work all day and then teaching on my feet for 3-4 hours.

However I believe my tennis shoes are causing some problems with my knees, since they tend to grip the floor when I pivot on my feet (while performing basic kicks, changing stances, etc. etc). So I was considering getting sparring shoes of some kind that I could wear during class.

Anybody use them? If so I have a question.

Does anyone know of a brand of sparring shoes that come in widths? (I have wide feet.)

Thanks

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I teach a karate/TKD class on carpet at a recreation center, I currently wear tennis shoes when I teach due to the stress on my knees after being at work all day and then teaching on my feet for 3-4 hours.

However I believe my tennis shoes are causing some problems with my knees, since they tend to grip the floor when I pivot on my feet (while performing basic kicks, changing stances, etc. etc). So I was considering getting sparring shoes of some kind that I could wear during class.

Anybody use them? If so I have a question.

Does anyone know of a brand of sparring shoes that come in widths? (I have wide feet.)

Thanks
You might try wrestling shoes. I've not been too impressed with the martial arts shoes available; they just don't seem to be well made unless you pay through the nose. But you can get decent wrestling shoes much more thriftily, and they're generally more available.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You might try wrestling shoes. I've not been too impressed with the martial arts shoes available; they just don't seem to be well made unless you pay through the nose. But you can get decent wrestling shoes much more thriftily, and they're generally more available.

I agree. :) I wear wrestling shoes. I havent had any issues, they give alot of support, and they hold up better than any other MA shoe that I've purchased.

Some sites to check out.

Asics

Otomix

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wear the Adidas martial art shoes and love them. They are alittle expensive but well worth the money

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Two other alternatives:

Converse Hi Tops, preferably the ones made of hemp
Deck/yachting shoes

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Try the Masterline brand. Very cheap and last pretty well. Go at least one size larger than you normally wear. They are made for pivots and spins and work great on carpets.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wrestling shoes are definately the way to go, they are light, comfortable and generally have a way to keep the laces hidden. They have traction, but not to much to dissallow pivoting. The TKD style shoes are your second choice, but if you go that route, go with the Adidas ones, there are a lot of really, really badly made pairs available.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just ordered a pair of Ringstar Sparring shoes. Right now, they are on back order. But, for the moment, I wear wrestling shoes under my shin/instep pads and they seem to work well.

lkblair

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Many people in my organization wear Ringstar and like them very well. I just wear mine for sparring, as I prefer to train and do forms in bare feet, but they are comfy.

Lisa

OP
M

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys.

I wear wide (2E) shoes which is why I'll get Nike, or New Balance cross trainers generally to wear for work and all. Normally I wear these types shoes for class as well.

So do the wrestling shoes come in wider widths or are they all the medium widths. Anybody know? I searched several sites and haven't found any width information so I was just wondering if anyone else had this type of problem?

Mark

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never really found wrestling shoes in wide widths, but wouldn't be surprised if they're out there. You could also consider boxing shoes, which I think I have seen advertised in wide widths.

I've got weird feet; it's not a simple matter of going with a wider size, it's something about the proportions. I confounded a shoe salesman at a higher end store once when he measured my feet, brought out that size shoe -- and they clearly didn't fit right. What I learned was to try different brands, since little differences in how they design them make a big difference. And that I have to try on shoes; I can't buy them over the internet or from catalogs.

Topeng

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have wide feet too. When it comes to wrestling shoes, Asics were the only ones that seemed to fit right - though I'm kinda biased since thats the only brand of running shoe I like too. Go for a split sole. You may be suprised at how much more flex they have.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Go for a split sole. You may be suprised at how much more flex they have.

Yes, for me they are more flexible than the full sole. I have 4 pairs of Asics wrestling shoes and 3 of them are split soles. My Asics 54 are good because they have no laces or zippers and are quite comfortable. Only they are a full sole, and I dont feel that they are as flexible as my Split Seconds or Cael V3. I also have an old Pursuit II that feel real good too.