Kung Fu? Judo? I'm not seeing it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Reason revealed why martial artist took on two men in road rage fight

"He's an ex judo champion. He's been to the police station told them the story and has made them aware of his capabilities. He didn't get arrested and they're looking into the matter."

Hmmm. Not seeing it. Poor quality video though, I could be missing something. From what I could see, no trained fighters were present. One guy was aggressive and willing to brawl (the story says he was the actual victim to begin with); the others were only aggressive until they realized he was willing to trade punches with them. Then they tried to back away - too late.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Reason revealed why martial artist took on two men in road rage fight

"He's an ex judo champion. He's been to the police station told them the story and has made them aware of his capabilities. He didn't get arrested and they're looking into the matter."

Hmmm. Not seeing it. Poor quality video though, I could be missing something. From what I could see, no trained fighters were present. One guy was aggressive and willing to brawl (the story says he was the actual victim to begin with); the others were only aggressive until they realized he was willing to trade punches with them. Then they tried to back away - too late.
they are likely to attach" expert" to any karate or kung fi head line. But that said he was more than effective against two guys, so what ever he was doing worked very well,

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see anything that looked like the arm/body control I'd expect from someone versed in Judo or any similar art.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ha ha ha.. the traditional martial arts stance still scares people. As far as martial arts goes... Who knows. We have all seen martial arts sparring turn into generic kick boxing.
Beyond the low leg kick, and the stance, I couldn't tell if it was martial arts or not.

The traditional martial arts stance is a strange one because non-martial artists are usually uncertain about it. He could have have probably held those guys off with the stance alone and looking dangerous.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ha ha ha.. the traditional martial arts stance still scares people. As far as martial arts goes... Who knows. We have all seen martial arts sparring turn into generic kick boxing.
Beyond the low leg kick, and the stance, I couldn't tell if it was martial arts or not.

The traditional martial arts stance is a strange one because non-martial artists are usually uncertain about it. He could have have probably held those guys off with the stance alone and looking dangerous.

From the old movie "They Call Me Bruce?"

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From the old movie "They Call Me Bruce?"

ha ha ha That was actually a decent movie. While many of those movies had a lot of stereotypes that wouldn't fit well with today's environment. There were often lessons and good discussions that spun off those movies.
Self-defense use your head lol.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
ha ha ha That was actually a decent movie. While many of those movies had a lot of stereotypes that wouldn't fit well with today's environment. There were often lessons and good discussions that spun off those movies.

LoL

I need to watch that movie again this week! :)

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thing is if the guy manages to win the fight then his martial arts is worth it does it matter how they look

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
probably difficult to do when you are chasing someone round a car park
Not once you get hands on them, though he didn't seem to be trying to get close (again, not very Judo). My comment was simply a response to the OP that there wasn't any Judo in evidence that I'd recognize.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thing is if the guy manages to win the fight then his martial arts is worth it does it matter how they look
The "look" in some cases is whether the martial art shows up or not. There was nothing there I'd say was within the principles of Judo as I understand them (there are others here with far more Judo experience than me).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to watch that gave me a headache. From what I could see through all the shaking, it was just an average unskilled fight with a bit of luck involved.
Yeah, I didn't see much more than that. The repeated attempts at that leg trip/foot sweep would be unusual for someone untrained, so I assume that came from somewhere.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not once you get hands on them, though he didn't seem to be trying to get close (again, not very Judo). My comment was simply a response to the OP that there wasn't any Judo in evidence that I'd recognize.
its the daily mirror newspaper, they don't know their judo from their karate, that's if the guy even said he was a ma? , they have been known to make things up.

there was a big scandal when they published a storey about the war in Iraq, and they had fabricated the whole thing, pictures and all

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
they are likely to attach" expert" to any karate or kung fi head line. But that said he was more than effective against two guys, so what ever he was doing worked very well,

They could be just some guys who do martial arts, but "master" and "champion" gets more views and attention. Sort of like how my friends and relatives tell other people how their son/nephew/friend is a (insert martial arts style) master or black belt.

When the reality is I'm far from those.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One of my favorite lines: "I am a sex object. I always ask women for sex, and they object."

Latest Discussions