Kung Fu Grandma Age 94

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tough old lady. Not quite as old but there was a lady I met, in her late 60s I think, who taught taiji at the kung fu school I trained at for awhile. She would show up to fitness sessions to put the kids to shame and got in a car crash one morning but still showed up for a kung fu presentation in the afternoon.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That is cool

When I was in Beijing, a few years ago (before the Olympics), I was walking around Tiāntán park one morning looking at people doing taijiquan and various other types of exercise (including ballroom dancing :)) when I went past a large hedge and came across to guys doing Changquan, a form I had learned actually. Looking at them and watching the interaction I am guessing the student was in his late 70s or early 80s and the teacher was in his 80s or 90s.

I watched the student do a form that involved jumping in the air, doing a 360 degree turn, landing in a horse stance and doing 2 back fist strikes. It was the best I had ever seen, considerably better than anything I had ever done. Then the teacher, walked over to the student (he was walking like a 20 year old by the way, rather spry), appeared to whisper something in the student's ear, and the student did it again.... but he actually did it better, which after what I first saw, I did not think was possible.

Also note that from what I could gather, once you retire in China, the young folk think you are crazy if you continue doing sports like basketball, baseball, soccer, etc. However martial arts and dancing are totally acceptable. As I said to my wife, after seeing the Changquan duo; "So, it is crazy if an old person kicks a ball around a field running after it, but jumping in the air, doing a 360, landing in a horse stance is perfectly ok with you"....her answer was..."yes"

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Pretty awesome. I can say that my mom started doing tai chi (yang 108 and Chen),which led to bagua. I have no idea if it's legit or not, and have specifically avoided looking into it. She loves it, and it has been very good for her health. She is 72, and started about 10 years ago. She had been losing a lot of calcium in her bones, and was on a lot of supplements to stave off osteoporosis, 10 years later, she has great bone density, is strong as an or and no longer needs any pills or supplements.

Can she actually repulse a monkey? I don't know. Is it "real" tai chi? I don't know that either. but the health benefits are undeniable and she really enjoys herself.

Latest Discussions