Have-a-Go Hero Jumps in to help cops

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
"What sort of criminal decides to put up a fuss outside a martial arts academy?"

This quote amused me.

Good for him though. He saw the guy giving the cops a hard time and put him in his place.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Martial arts hero tackles drink driver to the ground as he tried to flee police

"
Martial arts hero tackles drink driver to the ground as he tried to flee police
Ray Clark was leading a children's Brazilian jiu-jitsu class in Bournemouth, Dorset, when he saw a car being pulled over by police right outside"
Who ever said criminals are smart? Seems like a lot of stories like this are popping up weekly. Glad to see some good guys out there doing what is right. I wonder if he got in a couple of "free" shots on the bad guy in the process?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who ever said criminals are smart? Seems like a lot of stories like this are popping up weekly. Glad to see some good guys out there doing what is right. I wonder if he got in a couple of "free" shots on the bad guy in the process?

Seems like a good opportunity to practice some technique. ;)

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Every time I read a news article on a martial artist they are always referred to as an "expert". He's also studied 9 arts in 8 years, more of a jack of all trades than an expert.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Every time I read a news article on a martial artist they are always referred to as an "expert". He's also studied 9 arts in 8 years, more of a jack of all trades than an expert.

Remember though, to the average person, anyone who can do a half-decent takedown is seen as an expert in Martial Arts, even if it's a technique a whitebelt can do on his first session.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Back in the 70 in Austin, Texas, it was very common to have a MA guy sat in the police car. When the cop need to arrest someone, that MA guy would take the criminal down and the cop then put handcuff on him. It's good for both sides. The cop got free help. The MA guy got free skill testing. A friend of mine who was a Karate instructor. He loved to test his "one punch to drop" on those bad guys.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the 70 in Austin, Texas, it was very common to have a MA guy sat in the police car. When the cop need to arrest someone, that MA guy would take the criminal down and the cop then put handcuff on him. It's good for both sides. The cop got free help. The MA guy got free skill testing. A friend of mine who was a Karate instructor. He loved to test his "one punch to drop" on those bad guys.
I know an NGA instructor who was (maybe still is) a State Constable in SC (that's sort of an active reserve police officer). He served on the fugitive retrieval task force. When guns weren't expected, they often sent him in first to bring the fugitive down, then the full-time officers would finish the cuffing if he needed it.

Mujician

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not martial arts related, but an aquataince once told me while he was in an army band they were marching through a town when someone decided to rob a bank, the robbers were just leaving as the army reached the building!

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not martial arts related, but an aquataince once told me while he was in an army band they were marching through a town when someone decided to rob a bank, the robbers were just leaving as the army reached the building!

Reminds me of one I read a few years ago...

A guy tried to steal a van right as the owner was done pumping gas - once the owner screwed on the gas cap, the thief jumped in the van and tried to take off. The van was full of 12 Judo players on their way to a tournament. They subdued him pretty quickly and held him until the cops arrived.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of one I read a few years ago...

A guy tried to steal a van right as the owner was done pumping gas - once the owner screwed on the gas cap, the thief jumped in the van and tried to take off. The van was full of 12 Judo players on their way to a tournament. They subdued him pretty quickly and held him until the cops arrived.
I remember hearing about that one, too. Made me smile.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
"What sort of criminal decides to put up a fuss outside a martial arts academy?"

This quote amused me.

Good for him though. He saw the guy giving the cops a hard time and put him in his place.
You might be surprised. One evening in class we had a guy just come in off the street and made a little fuss begging for money. It was very surreal indeed because he started to get a little aggressive but soon backed down when asked if he knew what he was doing getting upset with a bunch of martial artists.

Latest Discussions