Kudos to those in all kinds of uniforms/occupations

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There was this thread I read discussing how officers can get respect back. Basically, the bad news tend to show up more in the media and the good news are overlooked or considered not newsworthy.

Well, the good news are something we all can enjoy reading/hearing. I decided to make a thread dedicated to those who serve the people. These people can be the military, LEOs, teaching professions, medical professions, whatever. What I am thinking of are news articles and personal stories. It doesn't have to be amazing accounts. Just simple things that people do--just doing their jobs and are appreciated. This is a thread for you to express your appreciation and kudos.

I'll start with myself. I have several stories, but I'll post one for now.

Last winter, I took my son (then 14 years old) to go to an activity in the next town (about twenty five minutes away). This is an activity that required us to dress up, so I wore a dress and my son wore his suit.

That day was a very snowy day (more like a slushy rain and very, very windy, making it seem a lot colder) and I was stressed out, trying to be able to drive there safely and on time. My tire blew out while we were driving out on the freeway. I pulled over to the shoulder and there was a steep slope off the shoulder.

I was trying to figure out what to do (since I am deaf and my cell phone wasn't working well). I was debating to myself what we can do since we're dressed up. Within five minutes (it seemed a long time), the highway patrol came. He pulled up behind, wearing his rain slicker. He came to the window and I pointed to the tire.

He nodded his head with a smile and cheerfully changed the tire (we were in the van, so the back door had to be opened to access the spare tire and the wind blew all the slush and cold air). He appeared very tired, cold, and muddy, yet still maintained a smile and acted very polite. He told us to drive carefully and to enjoy our evening. I wanted to get his badge number to thank him, but his slicker covered it. Nevertheless, I felt very grateful that day for him being there.

- Ceicei

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok, here is another personal story.

On the way to taking my third child to school, I noticed an unusual congestion of cars down the road. I realized then that the crossing guard wasn't there. Usually she comes about fifteen minutes early, but that day, no crossing guard. There were parents trying to drive onto the school property to drop off their kids and other kids walking on the road. This road is also extremely busy because it is one of the only two roads connecting another city through my city to the freeway. As such, people also trying to get to their work will go off the main road and get onto this road that runs by the school. To top this mess up, the train came through and blocked the main road further, so the cars were seeking another direction (which of course meant this road).

Anyway, a bunch of kids were milling around at the corner, confused, wondering what happened to their crossing guard. Some were trying to figure out when to cross over. A few were crying.

Some drivers were impatient and were trying to bypass the other waiting cars. Basically, chaos and quite dangerous.

I observed a certain truck with a father and his son. His face showed a variety of different expressions ranging from frustration to concern to annoyance while he watched what was going on for a couple of minutes. He then pulled over off the road and got out with his son. His truck bore the logo of a local construction company. He reached into the back of his truck and pulled out a bright orange mesh vest. He donned this vest and walked over to the corner with the kids. Wearing the vest, he then walked into the middle of this mess and directed the traffic where they needed to go. He also stopped the traffic so the kids could go across safely.

Finally a police car arrived 10-15 minutes later with flashing lights and the officer took over directing the traffic, allowing the vested man to leave to go to his work.

The man didn't have to do this and probably was late for his work, but kudos to him for his willingness to take action for the safety of the children and to allow traffic to move more efficiently.

[The original crossing guard had a medical emergency and is fine now.]

- Ceicei

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kudos to the officer that regularly drives 360 degrees around my office building at night...and who even pulled over and asked if everything was alright when he saw me looking at his trooper. (I was fine, I just didn't want to cut in front of him going to my car).

Don't know who he is but I'm damn glad he's there. Especially on nights like tonight when it is 2:17AM and there are still five of us in the war room on a conference call.

Latest Discussions