KT:Five Animals of Kenpo

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Five Animals of Kenpo
By Kenpo Gary - Fri, 07 Dec 2007 18:14:29 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

Many of us have the five animal picture on the walls of our studios. But what do Kenpo stylists really understand about these animals? What are we getting at when we speak of animal moves and influence? Very interested in Bill Packer's AKKA (brother Don) in that his web site spent considerable effort to mention these. I have read articles by Seniors in Tracy Kenpo on this subject, but it always seems rather esoteric. Can some one explain how the rubber meets the road, concrete moves of the five animals?

Kenpo Gary

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:wink2: ok I thought you where talking about some of the seniors when I first saw the thread title so I'll pass on this as i have no knowledge that helps.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Five Animals of Kenpo
By Kenpo Gary - Fri, 07 Dec 2007 18:14:29 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk
====================

Many of us have the five animal picture on the walls of our studios. But what do Kenpo stylists really understand about these animals? What are we getting at when we speak of animal moves and influence? Very interested in Bill Packer's AKKA (brother Don) in that his web site spent considerable effort to mention these. I have read articles by Seniors in Tracy Kenpo on this subject, but it always seems rather esoteric. Can some one explain how the rubber meets the road, concrete moves of the five animals?

Kenpo Gary

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

as i have learned them the five animals are five different fighting strategies. Tigers are more direct using heaviness and grabs and breaks and frontal attacks more than the leopard which uses more angles of attack and quick shifts to generate power with less holding than a tiger would use. the crane uses evasion and disrupts the balance of its opponets..no frontal attacks no meeting force with force, the snake is of two types constictor and viper the constictor style of fighting will wrap limbs and use chokes, the viper works on attacking vital point and vulnerable areas. the dragon combines different aspects of the other animals and also moves around the opponent attacks differnet zones simultaneuosly. just some of the way we approach things

respectfully,
marlon

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
as i have learned them the five animals are five different fighting strategies. Tigers are more direct using heaviness and grabs and breaks and frontal attacks more than the leopard which uses more angles of attack and quick shifts to generate power with less holding than a tiger would use. the crane uses evasion and disrupts the balance of its opponets..no frontal attacks no meeting force with force, the snake is of two types constictor and viper the constictor style of fighting will wrap limbs and use chokes, the viper works on attacking vital point and vulnerable areas. the dragon combines different aspects of the other animals and also moves around the opponent attacks differnet zones simultaneuosly. just some of the way we approach things

respectfully,
marlon

It's interesting to hear about other styles usage of the animals.

Hung-Ga's 5 animals are: dragon,snake,tiger,leopard & crane. Mastery of this CMA is the ability to change from one animal to the next as the situation demands. Dragon techniques use twisting of the waist to redirect an incoming force. Snake goes over, under & around an opponents bridge to set up a quick multiple strike attack. Tiger applications utilize full body weight with the tiger claw as a finishing move. Leopard techniques use momentum & strength to quickly dart in & out with the leopard fist. Crane movements are very subtle with powerful fa jing strikes using the crane beak, head & wings.