Krav Maga

• Thread starter Hu Ren Qianzai Long
  • Start date

mtabone

Green Belt
Reaction score
Krav Maga is nothing new under the sun. Very good marketing, that I will say. they did hire a PR agency. Very smart move. But it is really nothing new. As it was said before, Not alot of new ways to punch and kick.

Respectfully,
Michael Tabone

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KennethKu
Yes, Krav Maga is simple, efficient. But that does not make it ineffective for self defence. It has its niche in self-defence for those who want to defend themselves but are not interested in complete martial art. The fact that it is good enough for military use, is a postive. The reality is, how often do you have a self-defence situation that turns into a professional duel ? Extremely unlikely.

Professional duel.
I like that. I really like that. Good points all together. :asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Too many arts seem to assume a duel rather than a fight.

I'd like to try Krav Maga some day. It sounds like a simple but effective program--but without trying it, who knows?

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by arnisador
Too many arts seem to assume a duel rather than a fight.
I'd like to try Krav Maga some day. It sounds like a simple but effective program--but without trying it, who knows?

Truer words were never spoken.

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
If you have been in Karate, TaeKwon-Do, or some other striking system for longer then 6 months....you know Krav Maga moves. Krav Maga is simply using the quickest, most brutial method to overcome the attack without injury to yourself of others.

They do have some "cool principles" and applications that may or may not be in your martial art, but their is no magic in the moves.

Get the book on Krav Maga "Krav Maga: How to Defend Yourself Against Armed Assult". It can be found at the bottom link. IT is a good book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...43767/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/104-9913184-1789519

--Jeremy Bays

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I bought three of their tapes to see what they did. It is the same stuff I teach in Kempo Jujutsu. I didn't see any throw, locks, or chokes, but it was simple techniques, that work effectly. The other thing is they have one main defense with couple of different options. Some of the Kenpo systems I have seen, may have 5 or more defenses for each attack. My opinion is to have a couple ways to get out of any hold, but having 5 or more may cloud up your head. The last thing you want to do in self defense sitituation is to start thinking. You want to react and I think Krav Maga and JKD may teach this the best.
Bob:asian:

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I also have to recommend the book. It can teach you some nifty stuff about weapon disarms.

In my experience, the Krav Maga taught to civilians is more about how to incapacitate your attacker and escape, rather than killing them, but I'm sure the curriculum in Israel boot camp takes it a bit farther.

The man who founded it, Imi Sde-Or, was a boxer and a wrestler in his youth who gained his first fighting experience from defending the Jewish ghetto he lived in (in Prague I think) from local gangs. It's been developed in the past 54 years or so based on the experiences of the soldiers that have had to use it.

Not the most comprehensive art, but it's seen plenty of successful use.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by KennethKu
Yes, Krav Maga is simple, efficient. But that does not make it ineffective for self defence. It has its niche in self-defence for those who want to defend themselves but are not interested in complete martial art. The fact that it is good enough for military use, is a postive. The reality is, how often do you have a self-defence situation that turns into a professional duel ? Extremely unlikely.

Yup, and that's the bottom line line with this style. You just cut to the chase, shut down the threat as best you can, and get it over with ASAP. From what I've seen and read it can get pretty brutal. Nothing wrong with that. Each art has its place.

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Kenpo Jiu-JItsu wrote:
I didn't see any throw, locks, or chokes, but it was simple techniques, that work effectly.

There is a reason for that. Original Krav Maga (OKM ?? Sound like Jeet Kune Do stuff now OJKD, JKDC...etc.) was designed for use by the elite military and the police officers. In Israel, the primary threat is ARMED attackers (terrorists armed with guns, bombs, or knives). Krav Maga teaches the person to enter fast, dispose of the threat, and exit fast. There is not really a place for locks and throws.

The problem they see with locks is two-fold.
1.) When you apply a lock, you USUALLY lock yourself as well. You need to maintain that lock with one or both hands so this part of the body is "tied up" and cannot be used to fight someone else.

2.) Locks rely on pain compliance. Most locks work because the attacker feels the pain and releases or whatever. Krav Maga people do not have time to apply pain techniques when tension is high and people may have an elevated pain tolerance due to a rush or adrenaline (remember some of the people are ready to blow themselves up, a little arm bar is not going to stop them)

THROWS are present in the art as well but they are used sparely. If an attacker is skilled in breakfalling then a throw will simply move the person away from the defender. Since Krav Maga is a close combat style (the name mean CONTACT FIGHTING) the goal is to stick to the attacker until they do down and then disengaged. Also throws are limited against armed attackers. If you use a throw against someone with a gun, you simply give them the space needed to fire their weapon. I understand that you want to disarm before the throw, but that is “perfect world” thinking at times. My Kali teacher (IMAA on this board) says that most disarms happen by accident.

This is a VERY basic level understanding of what I have been taught. There ARE locks, and throws at higher levels in Krav Maga but they are reserved for later in training and they are "transports" from other arts.

Thanks
Jeremy Bays

OP
J

Jas

Krav reminds me of when I was a kid and a bigger kid would attack me, I just put my head down and swung wildly in hopes of landing that one lucky punch

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jas
Krav reminds me of when I was a kid and a bigger kid would attack me, I just put my head down and swung wildly in hopes of landing that one lucky punch

I take it you've never taken a class in it then Jas?

I've met Israeli's who have had to use their military Krav Maga training before. It's effective enough that they lived to tell me.

OP
J

Jas

Zepp,

When I was in the Marines in a Recon unit we used to do what we called line trainning, it is hand to hand combat, we trainned in it hard and often. But the truth is as effective as it was in a military setting it probibly wouldnt work on the street because it is set up to be used when your in full battle dress (flak jacket, 782 gear, etc...) and your enemy is too. So because something says its a Military style doesnt mean it will work outside that setting. And nobody told me this I lived it

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Good Jas. If you've been trained in the military, you'll recognize effective techniques when you see them. Try a few Krav Maga classes, and then tell me again about putting your head down and swinging wildly.

OP
M

Mormegil

I haven't been to a Krav Maga class, but something I "heard" about the training intrigued me. I heard that they train under "stress" with people yelling and threatening. Suppose to simmulate a terrorist operation or something. That could be pretty handy to actually get a response, instead of freezing, since it doesn't seem like the relatively calm, organized dojo.

About the problem of locks. Well, a lot of joint locks can be easily turned into breaks. Just keep going, or go full speed. At my school (I don't own it, I just attend it), we often train the supine arm lock, with legs over the head and chest. We train, either with a slow deliberate locking motion, or we simulate an arm break pulling fast, but letting the arm go as we pull it in. Granted, being in a supine position probably isn't a good idea in a terrorist situation, or even a street fight, but this was just an example. You could also apply it to arm bars and such.

Back to Krav Maga, I also understand it tends to be more expensive that most martial art schools.

Does that J. Lo movie give a true flavor of Krav Maga? I understand it's the latest thing in Hollywood.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The movie was discussed here--a search should turn it up.

The Sayoc Kali people train under stress like this too!

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
here in australia there has been two instructor seminars done by the cheif instructor in isreal, i think you pay so many thousands and after a few weeks you become an instructor in krav maga????

there has also been new KM schools open in every major city, they charge a heck of alot for 2hr training once a week and the instructors cannot grade you....

i was wondering how complex is the KM system?? currently iam not too impressed with the two week to instructor garbage, thats pretty much buying a grade, but iam sure the system has some good.....

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The current (June 2003) issue of Black Belt magazine has an ad for videos/DVDs for the Israeli martial art of Haganah, founded by Mike Lee Kanarek. Evidently it's taught to Israeli special operations personnel (according to the ad) and can make a person nearly invincible in a very short time.

Latest Discussions