But if there is any proving ground
For a Martial Art it is M.M.A.
:boxing:
:asian:
Primo

OP
G

GouRonin

I think MMA has a certain style of it's own. My BJJ instructor says that sure this stuff works in the ring, but no one there has his buddies about to jump in, knives, packing, other objects. It, like anything else has it's time and place.

I agree that MMA has a place in proving things to an extent.

My experience with Krav Maga has been they grab and pound. The knife work, while I am not an expert, seems to leave some lines open. However, the grab and knee for example does have a lot of merit.

I do know Oleg has done work work in Systema with Vlad.

OP
T

thatoneguy

i think Krav Maga is one of those styles that is more of a quick lesson in self deffense
it is not the best style or anything but it isnt bad
but it is used by thegovernment of isreal so ill guess its fairly effective in a fight

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by thatoneguy
i think Krav Maga is one of those styles that is more of a quick lesson in self deffense

Good point. I think many people dismiss it because they work on the perception that your opponent will be untrained. But many martial arts systems do that.

Many however, don't.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was about to start a thread like this but found this thread on a search.

I saw something on Krav Maga this weekend on Discovery Health.
I just spoke to an instructor tonight while I was on a sales call.

It seems that it is a solid business/franchise model with protected territories and they only do Self Defense, no forms, some weapons. I don't think they "spar" so much as they fight and work on pads and padded opponents.

I saw one of their choke defenses on TV last night and I don't think it would work as well as they are claiming, I will try it tomorrow in class if I get a chance. Otherwise, they seem to like a lot of stuff that we teach in Kenpo so I was curious about it.

But then "grab and elbow/knee" sounds like Muy Thai without the conditioning of kicking trees and stuff. :D

Anyway, I wondered if anyone on MartialTalk studied it or is discussing it. Thanks.

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
From what I have seen of krav maga, it's a brutal responses to any situation. There is no degree of restraint, just unleashing a brutal pounding on whoever touches you. However, it is becoming extremely popular. :asian:

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
From what ive seen
im not to impressed

Wo Wo Wo
Before U go Balistic on me!
I think it is a good Art.

But one that lacks what it is
Trying to prove.

I've seen this suff.

It does remined me of JKD,FMA & Yes Kenpo.
I have yet to see the
Huge differece in what they do??

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with you guys.
It does seem to favor a "total annihilation" response.
The instructor I spoke to said something about this, particularly in relation to gun and knife attacks. He said they intended to hurt you before they take the weapon away.

It might be good and useful for Self-Defense, but they do not seem to have the options that we study in Kenpo via the Equation Formula and so on.

I noticed similarities when they discussed working off of natural responses to an attack. Mr. Parker addressed this topic in Infinite Insights vol 1 I believe.

This is from their website and it sounds like stuff you could hear at a Kenpo seminar:
"Krav Maga is a simple, effective self defense system that emphasizes instinctive movements, practical techniques, and realistic training scenarios. "

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by ace
[BI have yet to see the
Huge difference in what they do?? [/B]

There isn't a lot of new ways to kick and punch are there?
:D

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jkn75
From what I have seen of krav maga, it's a brutal responses to any situation. There is no degree of restraint, just unleashing a brutal pounding on whoever touches you. However, it is becoming extremely popular. :asian:

Considering the fact that it is practiced in Israel and facing terrorist attackers, there is no room for quarter.

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KennethKu

Considering the fact that it is practiced in Israel and facing terrorist attackers, there is no room for quarter.

I agree. But people who live in the suburbs don't need to react to every situation with brutality.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jkn75

I agree. But people who live in the suburbs don't need to react to every situation with brutality.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think "suburbs" in Israel bear much resemblance to ones in the US.

OP
R

redfive

Krav Maga is a quick fix system. You have to remember that this system is tought to the Israely military. Militaries do not have a lot of time to train solders in hand to hand combat. Solders are shooters first and weapons are the primary focus. It would be no different than if a U.S. Marine went to Isreal and opened a school and tought what he learned in boot camp. It is a good method and is very practical, but it is nothing new and most of the techniques can be found in many other systems, they just remove all the filler. Take Krav Maga and carry a H&K MP-5 or M16 and you will be good to go. But it is only part of a larger military training program.
American marketing is a great thing. People like cool names. It will be put into the catagory of arts that came and went. I'm sure the Palestinians have a version too. They just havent marketed it yet.
Your Friend in the Arts. Redfive.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by redfive

Krav Maga is a quick fix system. You have to remember that this system is tought to the Israely military. Militaries do not have a lot of time to train solders in hand to hand combat. Solders are shooters first and weapons are the primary focus. It would be no different than if a U.S. Marine went to Isreal and opened a school and tought what he learned in boot camp. It is a good method and is very practical, but it is nothing new and most of the techniques can be found in many other systems, they just remove all the filler. Take Krav Maga and carry a H&K MP-5 or M16 and you will be good to go. But it is only part of a larger military training program.
American marketing is a great thing. People like cool names. It will be put into the catagory of arts that came and went. I'm sure the Palestinians have a version too. They just havent marketed it yet.
Your Friend in the Arts. Redfive.

Very well said I think.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, Krav Maga is simple, efficient. But that does not make it ineffective for self defence. It has its niche in self-defence for those who want to defend themselves but are not interested in complete martial art. The fact that it is good enough for military use, is a postive. The reality is, how often do you have a self-defence situation that turns into a professional duel ? Extremely unlikely.

OP
T

thatoneguy

i think you have to show some respect to Krav Maga
but i dont think it would be good against any real fighter
but then again how many people know how to truely fight
oh and krav maga was started before jkd and before mui thai became know to anybody
im pretty sure

Latest Discussions