Krav Maga

• Thread starter Hu Ren Qianzai Long
  • Start date

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The current issue of Black Belt (July 2003) includes an article on haganah, stating it comes from the IDF art lotar and that another IDF art is kapap.

The current issue of Budo Intl. (June 2003) includes an article on Kung Fu Toa, an Iranian art created by Ibrahim Mirzali that has been taught to the Iranian army.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Arthur
Kapap is the original term used for Krav Maga.

I got the impression the term is still used, perhaps for the version that is taught to the military--is that correct?

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
i have just recieved another invitation to a local KM seminar, (i called them once and now they have my name and address) in brisbane australia the seminar is run by two guys who got there instructorships in a two week seminar late last year (paid over 3000 for it).

does this happen in your area.

OP
A

A.R.K.

Never checked into taking a KM course. Moti was hosted by SEPSI for an DT Instructor only seminar that the agency sent me to. I liked it very much. However, not all of it was what I would term 'duty-applicable' in the real world.

But I feel if just one new/revised thing can be picked up here and there it is time well spent.

:asian:

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Originally posted by moromoro
i have just recieved another invitation to a local KM seminar, (i called them once and now they have my name and address) in brisbane australia the seminar is run by two guys who got there instructorships in a two week seminar late last year (paid over 3000 for it).

does this happen in your area.

I'm not on any KM lists (that I know of), so I wouldn't know for sure. But I'd guess that it does. That kinda thing isn't unique to krav maga.

Like I said, the best way to know that your krav maga instruction is legit is to train under someone who's served in the Israeli Defense Forces. Civilian KM organizations worry me.

Arthur

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Like I said, the best way to know that your krav maga instruction is legit is to train under someone who's served in the Israeli Defense Forces.

A mighty excellent point, I must say!

Arthur

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Zepp said:
Like I said, the best way to know that your krav maga instruction is legit is to train under someone who's served in the Israeli Defense Forces. Civilian KM organizations worry me.
I hope this forum is still active and I'm not just wasting time.

In the States, that could be the case, but in Israel, you could be sued for that. A military Krav Maga instructor has a military course certificate. That means he's qualified to teach soldiers. A civilian instructor is LEGITIMATELY allowed to instruct anyone.

I myself have been practicing Krav Maga for 2½ years now in Israel. I just finished an instructors course in the Wingate Institute under the tutelage of Haim Zut, one of the people who pretty much invented the modern Krav Maga.

One of the benefits of such a course is that we're allowed to try to poke holes in the system and Haim has to try to hold out. There were 15 of us. We could throw no question Haim couldn't answer. Every technique has it's place for a reason.

Krav Maga isn't a martial art. It's fighting style. It's quick, efficient and brutal. My instructor, at the age of 17, a black belt at the time, beat up a group of about 15 kids who picked on his friend. Don't believe me? You should see the footwork on that guy. Krav Maga doesn't presume to be innovative. Haim himself told us he studied a variety of martial arts and took into Krav Maga what he deemed efficient. This is still being done.

If you have any question regarding Krav Maga, please feel free to ask. I'm trying to get into an instructor's position in the military, so I might be able to answer military related questions as well.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
are there diferences in the way Kav Maga is taught to the milatary then civilians?
Best of luck getting accepted to teach the military.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Never a waste of time. We're always glad to see knowlegable folks posting. You never know just when critical mass is hit, and a forum erupts into life. :)

Welcome to MT.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Much of the problem today, I think, derives from those claimin to know the system and teaching quicky courses for $$$$.
To many people with certificates that mean nothing but teach what is in vouge .

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
are there diferences in the way Kav Maga is taught to the milatary then civilians?
Best of luck getting accepted to teach the military.
Thanks ;-)

Krav Maga is borken up into three principle organizations in Israel - Kapap, IKMF and Israeli Krav Maga (Krav Magen, a derivative of Krav Maga, doesn't count). Each is headed by one of Imi Lichtenfeld's senior students, each of having slightly or significantly different material. These are all civilian organizations

All of them use a belt system as follows: white, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown, black 1-5, black 6-10 (honorary ranks). The material starts from the simpler to the more complicated (e.g. Releases from chokes are for yellow belt, defending against gun threat is for brown belt). Unlike traditional martial arts where katas are executed for each test, when testing for a rank in Krav Maga, one has to show all the techniques for his new belt as well as all the techniques for the preceding ranks. In addtion, one must show his proficiency
in several rounds of hand-to-hand combat, their content dictated by the rank being tested for. For example, a test for orange belt requires a slow fist fight and a slow fight (hands and feet), while a test for black 2 requires a slow fist fight, as fast fist fight, a slow fight, a fast fight, a fight against two opponents, 2 rounds against an attacker armed with a stick and 2 rounds against an attacker armed with a knife. All fights for all ranks are full contact.

In the military, krav maga is taught on a need-to-know basis. If your position has nothing to do with combat (e.g. flight sim operator), you learn some basic strikes with a rifle as part of boot camp. If your job does require use of specific unarmed combat techniques, you're taught according to need. There are drills for Air Marshalls (such as neutralizing a greande threat or a man threatening a third individual/crowd), Riot Control units (neutralizing a rioter, use of a police shield and baton to quell riots), Special Forces (sentry takedowns with a knife/rope/bare hands), bodyguards/protective detail (defending a third person from an oncoming attacker) and techniques that should be generally known to soldiers, such as violent situations in a car (terrorists kidnap soldiers from time to time).
This material is also taught to civilian practitioners in the higher black ranks.

There are also games which civilian practitioners are taught (not sure about the military). One of my favorites is where four fighters surround a fifth in a semi-circle facing him while a sixth one stands behind him and points to one of the four surrounding him and that one attacks the center fighter. The central fighter has to block and counter. The sixth fighter alternates between his four comrades and can occasionally go for a choke/nelson/bearhug which the central fighter has to release himself from and continue fighting.

So to summarize, the basic difference is that the civilian training is more comprehensive and thorough, while the military focuses on what's relevant to the profession.

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
Much of the problem today, I think, derives from those claimin to know the system and teaching quicky courses for $$$$.
That could be the case in the States, and I know it is the case with some Israeli-based organizations, but Kapap, for example, focuses on teaching people how to defend themselves. The classes I take cost 150 NIS per month (about 33 US Dollars), a ridiculous amount for the amount of training I get. Training is twice a week, and since the groups are age (not rank) based, teens can train in the adult session and vice versa. That comes up to 4 sessions weekly for 33 bucks. And as if that weren't enough, my instructor has arranged for me and anyone else interested to train in a different a different dojo he instructs in free of charge. So the last thing I can say about Kapap is that they're greedy.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:

as if that is only found in Krav Maga.....

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
What is Krav Magen?
Krav Magen is a fighting style that is extremely similar to Krav Maga and derives from it. The who invented the style was one of Imi's high-ranking students. It is well-spread out and well-marketed in Israel today, although it is less professional than Krav Maga.

Check it out at http://www.kami.org.il/index_eng.htm

Latest Discussions