Krav Maga as self defense option

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
Regarding the weapon defense, I think it would be interesting to hear of any success stories with the use of the KM defenses.
Check this out. Not a success story, but still a good laugh.

Kenpojujitsu3, great flag!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loki said:
Check this out. Not a success story, but still a good laugh.

Kenpojujitsu3, great flag!

Welcome back to the forum!! I hadn't seen you posting much, and was hoping that since you train in KM, that you'd see this thread and give some input.

BTW, thanks for posting that story! While it may not be considered a 'success' in the way of a life/death situation, it was still a success in the fact that this guy didn't get shot!

Mike

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mark Weiser said:
Here is the website for the Training Center

Overland Park KS Krav Maga Training Center

The cost is as follows

Month to Month $110 per Month
6 months $95 Per Month
12 months $90 per month

You will need hand wraps for wrist support for bag work $14
Mouth Piece $14
Groin Protection $15
White Krav Maga Shirt $17
Colored Shirt $25

Also they do automatic payments only
Thanks for the info. I guess that I am going to start charging more. It is over double what I charge my students.

OP
J

John Lacy

White Belt
Reaction score
Searcher, Loki,
The monthly dues are about right on a national average scale. However the T-shirt is usually given. The mouth piece is $4 at your local store and the dark shirt can be your own. Please spare no expense when buying groin protectio (lol) it is surely the most important piece of equipment. But the other item not on the list is shin guards ( at least until the shin is in the condition of a Thai Kickboxer).

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
Welcome back to the forum!! I hadn't seen you posting much, and was hoping that since you train in KM, that you'd see this thread and give some input.

BTW, thanks for posting that story! While it may not be considered a 'success' in the way of a life/death situation, it was still a success in the fact that this guy didn't get shot!

Mike
Thanks Mike. I think I had Krav Maga overkill this year, so I took the summer off. Plus, I busted my foot (which reminds me that I should post my own "success story"). I guess that affected my interest in MT as well, but it's good to be back.

I may have not relayed the story accurately. He DID get shot. He just didn't die ;-)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loki said:
Thanks Mike. I think I had Krav Maga overkill this year, so I took the summer off. Plus, I busted my foot (which reminds me that I should post my own "success story"). I guess that affected my interest in MT as well, but it's good to be back.

Hey, we all need a break from time to time. :ultracool Sorry to hear about your foot. What happened??

I may have not relayed the story accurately. He DID get shot. He just didn't die ;-)

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the weapon defense.

Mike

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
Hey, we all need a break from time to time. :ultracool Sorry to hear about your foot. What happened??
Check back soon (very soon) in the Horror Stories section.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the weapon defense.
The weapon defense in question is one of seven standard ones. It's applied when someone threatens with a gun at point-blank range from the front, either to the forehead or torso. Your initial movement is to grab the gun by the barrel with your left hand (assuming he's right-handed) and pushing it inwards while turning your shoulders to avert the barrel and applying body weight to prevent counter-action.

This does indeed pose a problem as many modern guns have slides, which can cut your hand easily if you hold it when the gun fires. A fellow practitioner, a policeman, brought this to my attention. I personally see it as much better to grab at the wrist and avert the barrel with the shoulder-turning motion then.

All the Krav Maga instructors in my organization are having a series of meetings in order to straighten out any professional differences between them. I've asked that they address the slide issue.

I'll try to make a clip and have Kaith post it to clarify what I'm talking about.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it's a good, simple system. If you really enjoy the martial arts, you may find yourself hungry for more.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
My oppoin is based on an experiment I heard of. This is what the guy did (we'll call him bob). Now bob was a certified Krav Maga teacher, and Shotokan black belt. He also taught a self-defense class that was mostly Shotokan and free style wrestling. He wanted to see how long it would take some one to go with practicing the martial arts/self defense system and still make it effective. So what did he do? Well he paid one of his self defense people (we'll call her defender 1) to be in a "street style fight" (U.F.C. rules I guess) right after his class, the end result of this little fight against a random dude just out of college (we'll call him attacker 1), on a side note he had done wrestling since he was in middle school. Now the end result of the fight? Defender 1 beat the crap out of attacker 1. Bob redid this with two other sets of people. Know defender 3 lost the fight, but two won. He did the same thing with his Krav magi students, 3 people, in three fights; none of the attackers had much training in martial arts aside from wrestling or boxing. Once again the defenders won. He then did the same with his Shotokan students. Then he had his self defense students come back (three days later actually), this time however the defenders had forgotten how to do what they had been taught, and all lost. He thought that it would take three times the time you learnt some thing to forget it, but for the sake of science he had them come back after three days, they how ever had won. So three weeks later (three times the number of days it took to learn Krav Maga from him) he had them come back. The end, his Krav Maga students lost. He then did the same with his Shotokan students, three days, three weeks, three, and then three years. He had actually paid them to NOT train, since very few people train a self-defense class after they are done with it. They still won. So he waited until it had been nine years, guess what, they lost. So the conclusion of his experiment is what he thought it would be. It takes you three times the amount of time you learned some thing to forget how to do it. After this his black belt students went back to training with bob. And bob started doing judo and stopped teaching Krav Maga and his self-defense class. So if you don't quite get what i'm getting at, go for it but keep training at it or it may come up and bite you in the -blank-

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
coungnhuka said:
My oppoin is based on an experiment I heard of. This is what the guy did (we'll call him bob). Now bob was a certified Krav Maga teacher, and Shotokan black belt. He also taught a self-defense class that was mostly Shotokan and free style wrestling. He wanted to see how long it would take some one to go with practicing the martial arts/self defense system and still make it effective. So what did he do? Well he paid one of his self defense people (we'll call her defender 1) to be in a "street style fight" (U.F.C. rules I guess) right after his class, the end result of this little fight against a random dude just out of college (we'll call him attacker 1), on a side note he had done wrestling since he was in middle school. Now the end result of the fight? Defender 1 beat the crap out of attacker 1. Bob redid this with two other sets of people. Know defender 3 lost the fight, but two won. He did the same thing with his Krav magi students, 3 people, in three fights; none of the attackers had much training in martial arts aside from wrestling or boxing. Once again the defenders won. He then did the same with his Shotokan students. Then he had his self defense students come back (three days later actually), this time however the defenders had forgotten how to do what they had been taught, and all lost. He thought that it would take three times the time you learnt some thing to forget it, but for the sake of science he had them come back after three days, they how ever had won. So three weeks later (three times the number of days it took to learn Krav Maga from him) he had them come back. The end, his Krav Maga students lost. He then did the same with his Shotokan students, three days, three weeks, three, and then three years. He had actually paid them to NOT train, since very few people train a self-defense class after they are done with it. They still won. So he waited until it had been nine years, guess what, they lost. So the conclusion of his experiment is what he thought it would be. It takes you three times the amount of time you learned some thing to forget how to do it. After this his black belt students went back to training with bob. And bob started doing judo and stopped teaching Krav Maga and his self-defense class. So if you don't quite get what i'm getting at, go for it but keep training at it or it may come up and bite you in the -blank-

John
Nevermind the 'minor' details of aging and physiology in this suppossed experiment. Hmmmm.....wait nine years, don't train, give up something you love for nine years, lose your conditioning, cardio, muscle tone, etc. Then fight a young wrestler/boxer from college (someone with conditioning, cardio, muscle tone, youth, etc.) Then blame the loss on "forgetting the training and techniques"? Very interesting experiment indeed. Totally non-scientific and most probably not true. Makes a good story though. Who told you something like this 'cause whoever made this up needs to get the flag. which flag you ask?

:bs:
This one.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
yah i know it sounds wierd. i then it all was wrapped up about 5 years ago and "bob" payed these guys about a ten thousand dollars in the end. and they only stoped practicing techinque. they all kept doing some form of exersice. i think it saide that two of them started doing yoga and the other dude started some kind of dance class (ballet i think). the directness of this acctuly being true (you know this acctuly happened or the dude just put this as prove of what he was saying). either way if stop doing a self defense martial arts (or really any thing), your going to forget it relitvly quickly if you don't practive it. really knida my point at puting this done.

John

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
kravmaga
coungnhuka said:
yah i know it sounds wierd. i then it all was wrapped up about 5 years ago and "bob" payed these guys about a ten thousand dollars in the end. and they only stoped practicing techinque. they all kept doing some form of exersice. i think it saide that two of them started doing yoga and the other dude started some kind of dance class (ballet i think). the directness of this acctuly being true (you know this acctuly happened or the dude just put this as prove of what he was saying). either way if stop doing a self defense martial arts (or really any thing), your going to forget it relitvly quickly if you don't practive it. really knida my point at puting this done.

John
I didn't really get who was fighting who and how and why the experiment went along, but assuming it was wrapped up five years ago (2000), and it lasted over nine years (1991), you start off at a date where Krav Maga students don't exist outside of Israel.

kenpojujitsu3, love that flag...

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
And once again I didn't really think that ever actually happened and the guy made that up as a way to prove a point. Any who do think that is at all realistic? You know about the right amount of time passed. Do think it would take about that amount of time for your body to forget how the techniques should be done. And yes I realize that i'm getting off track.

John

Latest Discussions