Koryukai

EWBell

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Is it considered fraudbusting if I called every one of those men liars, who are only saying they witnessed the "Kumite" in order to bolster their own "Super Soaker Sokey Grandmaster" claims? If so, then I apologize.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would it be helpful to point out that Mr. Dux claims the heaviweight title and Mr. Soto claims the middleweight title?

In the Black Belt magazine article, Mr. Dux says that the "kumite" occurs every five years.

He also said that it didn't have weight classes.

'ol Tweeta-hand Soto claims to have fought in and won the "kumite" eight years in a row....

So, and I'm just asking, not doing any "fraudbusting"{mostly, since I'm from New York, have met Mr. Soto,and don't need to....}which is it, every five years, as Mr. Dux states in the article, or every year, as Mr. Soto claims on his rather busy webpage?

Chris Parker said:
Okay, I must be a glutton for punishment, but I can say thank you for insisting we check out that page. It showed better than we can with this martialtalk's rigid fraudbusting rules what Soto is all about... I mean, someone with that apparent "experience" constantly misusing terminology, misspelling words, using incorrect terms... and having nothing but posed photos at public events

Oh no-there's video in there somewhere as well, of the illustrious doctor grandmaster professor super secret soke Tweeta hand himself in action

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In the Black Belt magazine article, Mr. Dux says that the "kumite" occurs every five years.

He also said that it didn't have weight classes.

'ol Tweeta-hand Soto claims to have fought in and won the "kumite" eight years in a row....

So, and I'm just asking, not doing any "fraudbusting"{mostly, since I'm from New York, have met Mr. Soto,and don't need to....}which is it, every five years, as Mr. Dux states in the article, or every year, as Mr. Soto claims on his rather busy webpage?
it's obvious that he turned up to fight every year and because everyone else was a no-show, he claimed the win. It's easy to win, when your opponants don't show.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh no-there's video in there somewhere as well, of the illustrious doctor grandmaster professor super secret soke Tweeta hand himself in action

Including a video interview with Tweeta-hand and the Duxter himself.....

Josh Oakley said:
Would it be helpful to point out that Mr. Dux claims the heaviweight title and Mr. Soto claims the middleweight title?

That's not what the Duxter says:

[yt]cvUFUNvPi0Q&feature[/yt]

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So you're really telling me that different circles can't have weight classes. Whatever. On one guy's website it says heaviweight. On another's, it says Granted. I hadn't known what Mr. Dux said on that site. Just saw that today myself.

However, you're off base to say that the November 1980 issue has Mr. Dux saying that the Kumite happens every 5 years. The writer says "according to the whispers, the kumite happens once every 5 years." And in context, even the writer's not actually saying the kumite happens every 5 years.

In fact, in that very article, Dux is claiming multiple weight classes and that he fought heaviweight. In addition he talks about different events in those different years.

He says:

"One year, they had a circle and you had to stay inside the circle. Another time, it was on a cone-shaped platform. One year, they did it in mud- they just had a big pit full of mud, and you fought in that mud. That's what makes it unique, because you don't have to prepare for it. You have to be knowledgeable all around."

Is this your own research or have you just been listening to the research from others. It followed the same lines and was just as spotty last time I listened to it.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is it considered fraudbusting if I called every one of those men liars, who are only saying they witnessed the "Kumite" in order to bolster their own "Super Soaker Sokey Grandmaster" claims? If so, then I apologize.

Yes. It is. That's exactly what fraudbusting is, even if you were actually right. The moderators at Martial Talk can be held accountable for what we say if they leave it unchecked. Defamation can cost a lot. So if you do fraudbust, you'd better be 100% squared away on your facts. Even then, just to be safe, moderators might still not allow it.

But while I'm at it...

How is Vic Moore bolstering these supposed claims by talking about how he couldn't beat someone? This is a man with an impressive public fight record. Why would he talk at length about a fight he lost in secret?

That just doesn't make sense!!

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He says:

"One year, they had a circle and you had to stay inside the circle. Another time, it was on a cone-shaped platform. One year, they did it in mud- they just had a big pit full of mud, and you fought in that mud. That's what makes it unique, because you don't have to prepare for it. You have to be knowledgeable all around."

I wonder if they have a unisex/inter gender event. I'd be on for that, if I had the possible chance of fighting in chocolate syrup and raspberry sauce with sprinkles....yummy
icon10.gif

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. It is. That's exactly what fraudbusting is, even if you were actually right. The moderators at Martial Talk can be held accountable for what we say if they leave it unchecked. Defamation can cost a lot. So if you do fraudbust, you'd better be 100% squared away on your facts. Even then, just to be safe, moderators might still not allow it.

But while I'm at it...

How is Vic Moore bolstering these supposed claims by talking about how he couldn't beat someone? This is a man with an impressive public fight record. Why would he talk at length about a fight he lost in secret?

That just doesn't make sense!!

You know Josh, you're just not doing youself any favours here at all. For the record, I have attempted a number of times now to comply with your request for me to go on, but really, every time I did I went through the page in question (http://grandmasterirvingsoto.webs.com/sotobio.htm) bit by bit, and my responce would have been 5 times longer than the original page itself, it really is that inaccurate is so many different ways. If you can read, and have any discernment in your judgement at all, that much should be patently obvious, and I have no need to address it further. That said, if there is any particular point you want me to address, just ask.

But to Vic Moore. I did a search for anything at all relating to Vic and the Kumite, and found only results that took us to a completely fanciful interview from Frank Dux, which states that Vic wasn't allowed to be involved because he was black... now, I ask you, if that is your argument ("Why would he talk about somone he couldn't beat..."), how does that allow Soto to be in? The same interciew also claims that Benny Urquidez was not allowed to be involved because he was Spanish, by the way. You can find it here: http://www.kungfucinema.com/author/nigel-clarke

So far you have not brought any evidence that actually helps you, and each time I check your references, I find that it contradicts the other conclusive evidence you have presented. As I (and others here) have said before, if you enjoy your training with Frank and get something out of it, that is great. But realise that he is treated with suspicion (to say the least) even on such a heavily moderated site as this, and his claims are regarded as below reliable. And if you are training with him, you will do well to accept this, or you are going to be upset by those who will react to your teacher in this way.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You know Josh, you're just not doing youself any favours here at all. For the record, I have attempted a number of times now to comply with your request for me to go on, but really, every time I did I went through the page in question (http://grandmasterirvingsoto.webs.com/sotobio.htm) bit by bit, and my responce would have been 5 times longer than the original page itself, it really is that inaccurate is so many different ways. If you can read, and have any discernment in your judgement at all, that much should be patently obvious, and I have no need to address it further. That said, if there is any particular point you want me to address, just ask.

But to Vic Moore. I did a search for anything at all relating to Vic and the Kumite, and found only results that took us to a completely fanciful interview from Frank Dux, which states that Vic wasn't allowed to be involved because he was black... now, I ask you, if that is your argument ("Why would he talk about somone he couldn't beat..."), how does that allow Soto to be in? The same interciew also claims that Benny Urquidez was not allowed to be involved because he was Spanish, by the way. You can find it here: http://www.kungfucinema.com/author/nigel-clarke

So far you have not brought any evidence that actually helps you, and each time I check your references, I find that it contradicts the other conclusive evidence you have presented. As I (and others here) have said before, if you enjoy your training with Frank and get something out of it, that is great. But realise that he is treated with suspicion (to say the least) even on such a heavily moderated site as this, and his claims are regarded as below reliable. And if you are training with him, you will do well to accept this, or you are going to be upset by those who will react to your teacher in this way.

Actually the Moore point I'll concede.

Fact is, though, Vic Moore does claim to have fought Mr. Dux and lost. I had assumed it was in a Kumite event. But now that you point that out, that would not make sense to be in the Kumite.

I'll call him. see what the whole story is.

OP
R

rdonovan1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Why would anyone want to waste their time on the martial arts when it is just easier to get a gun?

Wouldn't a gun be easier and faster?

Kajowaraku

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why would anyone want to waste their time on the martial arts when it is just easier to get a gun?

Wouldn't a gun be easier and faster?

I'm lost for words... No disrespect intended, but well,...you revive a dead and happily burried thread in a martial arts forum, just to rhetorically ask why anyone would bother with martial arts instead of getting a gun? There's a million arguments I could give you, but I simply refuse to indulge the necromantic pleasure at the base of the question. Please, register on an NRA forum or something if you feel martial arts are a waste of time.
[/rant]