Knighthood for Patrick Stewart? Queen says make it so

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
London, England (CNN) -- He has played kings, princes, captains and professors on stage and screen, but now actor Patrick Stewart will have a new title all his own: "Sir."
The 69-year-old Yorkshire, England, native tops the list of those receiving New Year's honors from Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, the Cabinet Office announced Thursday.
Stewart, well-known for playing Capt. Jean-Luc Picard on "Star Trek: The Next Generation," will receive a knighthood. It means he will now be known in Britain as "Sir Patrick."
Others on the list include designers, restaurateurs and two famous names from Formula 1 racing.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/30/patrick.stewart.knighthood/index.html

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That makes me very happy :) :)

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
It would have been cool if the Queen had made him an admiral, but oh well. I think this is richly deserved. Stewart's had a long, illustious career as an actor and director. He's also proven that a baldy can be a sex symbol.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He's also proven that a baldy can be a sex symbol.

Gord, you're grabbing at straws man, grabbing at straws...:)

I want to see him walk up to get his knighthood wearing his Star Trek uniform. THAT, would be ever so cool!!

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
The guy surrenders the Enterprise in the first episode.... he says the aliens who just ate Crewman Xue raw are "probably just trying to communicate with us" and he lets a total uberbabe like Beverly Crusher get away...... and you guys think its great he gets a knighthood!!??

You wanna give peace a chance? Do it in real life, not on my sci-fi shows!
TTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!:barf:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It would have been cool if the Queen had made him an admiral, but oh well. I think this is richly deserved. Stewart's had a long, illustious career as an actor and director. He's also proven that a baldy can be a sex symbol.

*nods* ;)

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
The guy surrenders the Enterprise in the first episode.... he says the aliens who just ate Crewman Xue raw are "probably just trying to communicate with us" and he lets a total uberbabe like Beverly Crusher get away...... and you guys think its great he gets a knighthood!!??

You wanna give peace a chance? Do it in real life, not on my sci-fi shows!
TTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!:barf:

LOL!

Okay , here we go, the great debate, who is the best captain, Kirk or Picard?

Let's see I could be flute playing, chaste, Earl Grey drinking Picard who seemingly never noticed the rack on Beverly Crusher or two fisted, flying drop kicking, tugging on my boots after shagging the episode's green skinned hot female guest star (including Batgirl in one episode).

The answer is clear, any guy who will sacrifice the red shirted ensign just to tap some scaly green alien *** is the greatest swashbuckler in the universe!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL!

Okay , here we go, the great debate, who is the best captain, Kirk or Picard?

Let's see I could be flute playing, chaste, Earl Grey drinking Picard who seemingly never noticed the rack on Beverly Crusher or two fisted, flying drop kicking, tugging on my boots after shagging the episode's green skinned hot female guest star (including Batgirl in one episode).

The answer is clear, any guy who will sacrifice the red shirted ensign just to tap some scaly green alien *** is the greatest swashbuckler in the universe!

Janeway without doubt!!

Sir Patrick and David Tennent ( another RSC member though I guess you know him as Dr Who) have just filmed a marvellous Hamlet for the BBC. Tennent takes the title role.

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
Janeway without doubt!!

Sir Patrick and David Tennent ( another RSC member though I guess you know him as Dr Who) have just filmed a marvellous Hamlet for the BBC. Tennent takes the title role.

Let the great debate begin! Who is the best Doc Who, Ecclestone, Tennant or Baker!

I'll go with Tennant.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let the great debate begin! Who is the best Doc Who, Ecclestone, Tennant or Baker!

I'll go with Tennant.

I've watched the Doctor since the beginning so I'll have to say William Hartnell the first one. Patrick Troughton second, with Sylvester McCoy and Peter Davison good runners up. Jon Pertwee was good too. It's a long list you know, you can't just choose out of three lol!

Which Baker? There were two, Colin and Tom who played the Doctor.

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've watched the Doctor since the beginning so I'll have to say William Hartnell the first one. Patrick Troughton second, with Sylvester McCoy and Peter Davison good runners up. Jon Pertwee was good too. It's a long list you know, you can't just choose out of three lol!

Which Baker? There were two, Colin and Tom who played the Doctor.

There is only one Baker, Tom!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many Doctors have been shown outside the UK?

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
How many Doctors have been shown outside the UK?

In Canada , the Doctor was broadcast by TV Ontario in the early 70s, starting with Pertwee. Around Toronto between TV Ontario and PBS we had every episode until the Doctor went off the air in the early-mid 90s.

The modern series was I believe first partially funded by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation so we saw the episodes a couple of weeks after the UK.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
The modern series was I believe first partially funded by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation so we saw the episodes a couple of weeks after the UK.

You are correct, sir. I might be mistaken, but I think CBC is tied into the Torchwood spinoff of Dr Who, along with BBC Wales. Tomorrow night, Jan 2, Space TV in Canada airs the final special episode with Tennant as The Doctor. They just aired The Waters of Mars episode at the start of the Christmas season.

I've seen some eps with Tom Baker, but I've been more of a viewer of the new series -- I have all four seasons, as well as some of the specials on DVD, and I like Tenant over Eccleston. Gonna miss him, but I we certainly haven't seen the last of him. His career is white hot.

There were rumours that BBC was offering him 2-3 million pounds per season to stay on. That's unprecedented money for BBC.

Side note: Season four of Torchwood is green lit. Not a miniseries like season three's five parter. It will be a full thirteen episodes. Eve Miles and John Barrowman are on board. Barrowman's also busy, busy and was even under consideration for a part on Desperate Housewives.

Russell T Davies, exec producer and writer on both series, as well as the creator of Torchwood, however, is relocating to the US. Interesting to see how the two shows will be affected.

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
You are correct, sir. I might be mistaken, but I think CBC is tied into the Torchwood spinoff of Dr Who, along with BBC Wales. Tomorrow night, Jan 2, Space TV in Canada airs the final special episode with Tennant as The Doctor. They just aired The Waters of Mars episode at the start of the Christmas season.

I've seen some eps with Tom Baker, but I've been more of a viewer of the new series -- I have all four seasons, as well as some of the specials on DVD, and I like Tenant over Eccleston. Gonna miss him, but I we certainly haven't seen the last of him. His career is white hot.

There were rumours that BBC was offering him 2-3 million pounds per season to stay on. That's unprecedented money for BBC.

Side note: Season four of Torchwood is green lit. Not a miniseries like season three's five parter. It will be a full thirteen episodes. Eve Miles and John Barrowman are on board. Barrowman's also busy, busy and was even under consideration for a part on Desperate Housewives.

Russell T Davies, exec producer and writer on both series, as well as the creator of Torchwood, however, is relocating to the US. Interesting to see how the two shows will be affected.

On it Gordo, looking forward to the Tennant finale tomorrow, I'll pm you through the finale, didn't know you were a Doc Who fan, could have hooked up to watch it.

Not only is Davies relocating to the US, so has Julie Gardner the BBC producer who green lighted the new series, Torchwood and a few other BBC sci-fi/fantasy serie.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gordon Nore said:

Ken Morgan said:
Gord, you're grabbing at straws man, grabbing at straws...:)

Nope, Ken, I'm not. Check out these handsome baldies...

Attachments

• $Gordon Nore.jpg
    $Gordon Nore.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 188
  • $Bill Mattocks.jpg
    $Bill Mattocks.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 174