Knee pain from sparring?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hence why I said.....If it is Patellar Tendinitis

Nothing macho about following instructions from Physical Trainers and Physicians.
well I've only got your word that the doctor in question didn't say let it heal properly before trying again, then build up the,strengh so it doesnt injured its,self so easily next time, And then if that doesn't work try strapping it, which is far more likely to be honest

the guys 16 and keen to get back to train HIS doctor has told him to rest it , your giving him a reason to ignore that and start training to soon , with your,dodgy internet,3rd hand medical knowledge

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's nothing macho about using a tendinitis strap. If the pain stops, it's a proper response. My knees have all kinds of other issues that aren't helped by those kinds of things (except when I occasionally get tendinitis, just for good measure).

And, yes, both responses do depend upon it being tendinitis. That's why I phrased mine the way I did. The OP did say the doctor's opinion was it was from overuse, which for that area normally means tendinitis.
his,doctor ALSO told him to rest it????

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
his,doctor ALSO told him to rest it????
The strap is one method of resting that particular injury, if that's what it is. None of us have more information than has been given in this thread, so we are giving feedback based upon that and what we know about knees. Nobody is suggesting the OP ignore their doctor.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
well I've only got your word that the doctor in question didn't say let it heal properly before trying again, then build up the,strengh so it doesnt injured its,self so easily next time, And then if that doesn't work try strapping it, which is far more likely to be honest

You going to claim I ignored the doctors advice when it came to my son's health......no. NSAIDs to reduce the swelling and the strap to help take pressure off the tendon. Fine to train.

That's from the experts that know a helluva lots more than you do on this.

guys 16 and keen to get back to train HIS doctor has told him to rest it , your giving him a reason to ignore that and start training to soon , with your,dodgy internet,3rd hand medical knowledge

Hence why I said rest it and take NSAIDs until the inflammation goes down. Then strap it when he returns to training to take the pressure off the tendon and keep it from flaring up again.

With NSAIDs the inflammation usually goes away pretty quick.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You going to claim I ignored the doctors advice when it came to my son's health......no. NSAIDs to reduce the swelling and the strap to help take pressure off the tendon. Fine to train.

That's from the experts that know a helluva lots more than you do on this.

Hence why I said rest it and take NSAIDs until the inflammation goes down. Then strap it when he returns to training to take the pressure off the tendon and keep it from flaring up again.

With NSAIDs the inflammation usually goes away pretty quick.
no I'm questioning your memory, you now changed to rest it to let it heal and then wear strapping, rather than just,wear,strapping which is the Advice you were,seemingly giving in the first place.

no i don't know any more than you do about medical injuries ( WELL I PROBABLY do) but I'm not the one given advice that goes against his doctors, YOU ARE

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no I'm questioning your memory, you now changed to rest it to let it heal and then wear strapping, rather than just,wear,strapping which is the Advice you were,seemingly giving in the first place.
Actually, his initial advice appears to have been what to do when training to prevent recurrence. His second post was (the very next post) was more complete, and included rest. You're choosing to interpret it as badly as you can, to create an argument. That's beneath you.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

If it's Patellar tendinitis.

Take NSAID and rest. Next week should be fine with a knee strap....maybe even by Thursday or Friday.

Once it starts to go away it does quickly.

These are the knee straps my son wears when his start getting sore. We bought them at Academy Sports.

McDavid Knee Straps

4d84dce5-bdd6-49e0-8953-29d4981c5acb.png._CB294586858__SL300__.png

You should question your reading ability instead then.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You should question your reading ability instead then.
why are you telling him next week will be fine, have you popped round to examine him,? you have no idea what his injury is, or if it will be fine next week,

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
no i don't know any more than you do about medical injuries ( WELL I PROBABLY do) but I'm not the one given advice that goes against his doctors, YOU ARE

Except my son has had this problem as well and I have actually talked to doctors and Physical therapists about this.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why are you telling him next week will be fine, have you popped round to examine him,? you have no idea what his injury is, or if it will be fine next week,
"should be"

EDIT: Oh, and he did say "If it is...". So, he didn't make the assumption you've implied.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Because if it is Patellar Tendinitis as I originally said that's the normal time it takes.

With NSAIDs, the inflammation goes away quick and with a strap you can get back to training.

I'm speaking from experience with my son and what was told to us by doctors and PTs

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Except my son has had this problem as well and I have actually talked to doctors and Physical therapists about this.
so your admiting giving medical advice for an UNKNOWN injury, based on what you remember a,doctor saying to you about a identified injury, doesn't sound good does it?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so your admiting giving medical advice for an UNKNOWN injury, based on what you remember a,doctor saying to you about a identified injury, doesn't sound good does it?
Except that he said "If it is..."

And if the OP didn't want to hear others' experiences and some possible solutions, they wouldn't have posted, now would they?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"should be"

EDIT: Oh, and he did say "If it is...". So, he didn't make the assumption you've implied.
you do know should means shall, its not a vague suggestion, could is the word he should have used if the wanted to suggest some,doubt about it

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Except that he said "If it is..."

And if the OP didn't want to hear others' experiences and some possible solutions, they wouldn't have posted, now would they?
he is 16 and missing training, what he wants to hear and what he should be told are two different things

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
he is 16 and missing training, what he wants to hear and what he should be told are two different things

I'm done arguing with you.

But again Revelie is a she not a he.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you do know should means shall, its not a vague suggestion, could is the word he should have used if the wanted to suggest some,doubt about it
"Should be" is not the same as "will be". One means that's the expected outcome, the other means it's the only outcome. "Should be" is more affirmative than "could be". If I say, "A man should be able to touch his toes" that doesn't mean the same as "A man shall be able to touch his toes."

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Should be" is not the same as "will be". One means that's the expected outcome, the other means it's the only outcome. "Should be" is more affirmative than "could be". If I say, "A man should be able to touch his toes" that doesn't mean the same as "A man shall be able to touch his toes."

i didn't say its the same as will be, i said its,a derivative of shall, if you say a man should be able to touch his toes, that means that a man who cant is,defective in being a man

just as if i say your water proof boots should stop water, if they don't they are defective boots

Latest Discussions