Knee pain from sparring?

revelie

White Belt
Reaction score
For the past few weeks I have been doing a lot of sparring in Taekwondo class with my classmates to prepare for black belt but particularly my coaches hit me hard everywhere,,,, they are so strong their kicks pass through my shin guards.. ;-;

I have been having knee pains after class each time but it has been progressively getting worse with each week and as of now I am bandaged in sports tape, knee guards and ointment, the doctor says its most likely just from overusing my knee so I have to keep off vigorous exercise...

Has anyone had this kind of problems before? This has never happened to me, I am really sad I may not be able to do Taekwondo properly anymore, I am only 16... ㅠ.ㅠ Any senpais with advice can help me plz? Thanks...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For the past few weeks I have been doing a lot of sparring in Taekwondo class with my classmates to prepare for black belt but particularly my coaches hit me hard everywhere,,,, they are so strong their kicks pass through my shin guards.. ;-;

I have been having knee pains after class each time but it has been progressively getting worse with each week and as of now I am bandaged in sports tape, knee guards and ointment, the doctor says its most likely just from overusing my knee so I have to keep off vigorous exercise...

Has anyone had this kind of problems before? This has never happened to me, I am really sad I may not be able to do Taekwondo properly anymore, I am only 16... ㅠ.ㅠ Any senpais with advice can help me plz? Thanks...
well yes, stop doing it till it heals, if i had to take,a guess at it, id say you have been kicked on a planted leg and that has over extended the joint, but then kicking and missing can do that as well. You don't have to give it up, you need to let it heal abd don't get kicked on a planted leg again, if you can help it

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes easy stop doing full contact sparring. Your coaches hitting you that hard is frankly stupid

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Is the pain in the front of your knee?

If so it's probably Patellar Tendinitis

My son has this problem periodically while training.

Wearing a knee strap while training helps out a lot.

Patellar Tendonitis Symptoms, Causes, Treatment & Bracing

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Usually when it flares up he just takes a day off from training, takes a NSAID and ices it then as long as he wears his knee straps he is fine to train.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As someone else said, it sounds like tendinitis. Like other injuries of overuse, reducing the use (especially anything that makes it hurt) is key to recovery.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Injuries during a camp are common.

Ice baths might work.

Last edited:

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

This is most likely because the vibrations are traveling to your knee from the kicks or absorbing the kicks are torquing your leg. I would definitely follow the Doctor's advice and hold off on the vigorous exercise. I would speak to the instructors and review blocking kicks, maybe you could block it at a better angle to prevent the pain. I would also look into getting sturdier shin guards.

Hope you have a speedy recovery

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thank youuuu everyone for the advice I hope I will recover soon :3

When I have had muscle aches or lower back pain for various reasons other than exercising I have used - " Radox Muscle Soother" this green stuff works like magic in a very hot bath..................

m7RuFGr.jpg

Always keep a bottle in the bath room so when I needed its there.

Try it, works on the entire body like a relaxant and almost a painkiller without taking medication.

Its a good natural type product but the smell is not the best thats why I shower after each time I use this stuff to get rid of the odour.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I have had muscle aches or lower back pain for various reasons other than exercising I have used - " Radox Muscle Soother" this green stuff works like magic in a very hot bath..................

m7RuFGr.jpg

Always keep a bottle in the bath room so when I needed its there.

Try it, works on the entire body like a relaxant and almost a painkiller without taking medication.

Its a good natural type product but the smell is not the best thats why I shower after each time I use this stuff to get rid of the odour.
I'm not sure what's in that set of salts, so I can't speak to it. There is a documented anti-inflammatory effect from Epsom salts (which might be part of what's in that product).

OP
revelie

revelie

White Belt
Reaction score
Hmm anyone know roughly how Long it's gonna take to recover from this kind of injury due to overexertion?? It's been two days and my knee joints still kinda hurt slightly when I walk and I might not be able to go for training next week :((

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm anyone know roughly how Long it's gonna take to recover from this kind of injury due to overexertion?? It's been two days and my knee joints still kinda hurt slightly when I walk and I might not be able to go for training next week :((
is it over exertion, not long or over extension a bit longer.

if it HURTS rest it, when it hurts less move it to encourage blood flow, when it doesn't hurt at all, start building up the use,slowly, at 16 maybe two weeks to a month to get back to full power,depending on what it is

nb tell your coach to stop kicking the,#### out of kids, its not helping if it wrecks their knees???

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

If it's Patellar tendinitis.

Take NSAID and rest. Next week should be fine with a knee strap....maybe even by Thursday or Friday.

Once it starts to go away it does quickly.

These are the knee straps my son wears when his start getting sore. We bought them at Academy Sports.

McDavid Knee Straps

4d84dce5-bdd6-49e0-8953-29d4981c5acb.png._CB294586858__SL300__.png

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it's Patellar tendinitis.

Take NSAID and rest. Next week should be fine with a knee strap....maybe even by Thursday or Friday.

Once it starts to go away it does quickly.

These are the knee straps my son wears when his start getting sore. We bought them at Academy Sports.

McDavid Knee Straps

4d84dce5-bdd6-49e0-8953-29d4981c5acb.png._CB294586858__SL300__.png

I'm not convinced that telling him to strap it up and carry on, is better advice than telling him to let it heal properly and then have healthy knees, if he has a long term injury, that might be a long term solution, but if he lets it heal properly, like 16 year olds never,do, he might not have,a long term injury that needs strapping?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that telling him to strap it up and carry on, is better advice than telling him to let it heal properly and then have healthy knees, if he has a long term injury, that might be a long term solution, but if he lets it heal properly, like 16 year olds never,do, he might not have,a long term injury that needs strapping?
The advice I've gotten from both a sports-oriented physician and a physical therapist is that if a strap makes tendinitis not hurt, then you can perform normally with that device. The tendinitis straps apparently change the flex point of the tendon, removing the strain from the injured area, letting it rest.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

According to my son's Sensei who has a Masters in Kinesiology and works as a Physical Trainer that once the NSAID reduces the inflammation it is ok to train while wearing a knee strap.

Patellar Tendinitis is very common in teenagers and often occurs when they increase activity or increase intensity of an activity like preparing for a belt test, or starting a new sport.

And Revelie is a her.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
According to my son's Sensei who has a Masters in Kinesiology and works as a Physical Trainer that once the NSAID reduces the inflammation it is ok to train while wearing a knee strap.

Patellar Tendinitis is very common in teenagers and often occurs when they increase activity or increase intensity of an activity like preparing for a belt test, or starting a new sport.

And Revelie is a her.
both of these answer are dependent on it actually being tendinitis, of which you have no idea, ether way healthy knees don't hurt, he should as a,first port of call let his knees recover, not strap them up and carry on . That way he might make it into middle age with knees that still work.

Gerry with your knee issues i thought you would advise caution and proper healing , not macho strapping work through the pain nonsence
The advice I've gotten from both a sports-oriented physician and a physical therapist is that if a strap makes tendinitis not hurt, then you can perform normally with that device. The tendinitis straps apparently change the flex point of the tendon, removing the strain from the injured area, letting it rest.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
both of these answer are dependent on it actually being tendinitis, of which you have no idea, ether way healthy knees don't hurt, he should as a,first port of call let his knees recover, not strap them up and carry on . That way he might make it into middle age with knees that still work.

Gerry with your knee issues i thought you would advise caution and proper healing , not macho strapping work through the pain nonsence
There's nothing macho about using a tendinitis strap. If the pain stops, it's a proper response. My knees have all kinds of other issues that aren't helped by those kinds of things (except when I occasionally get tendinitis, just for good measure).

And, yes, both responses do depend upon it being tendinitis. That's why I phrased mine the way I did. The OP did say the doctor's opinion was it was from overuse, which for that area normally means tendinitis.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Hence why I said.....If it is Patellar Tendinitis

Nothing macho about following instructions from Physical Trainers and Physicians.

Sorry, I will trust my son's Sensei' and his Master's Degree and 20 years as a physical therapist and martial artist instructor for advice when it comes to how to treat Tendinitis

Last edited: