KKW's GM Uhm resigns

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is sad news. If he does retire, he will truly be missed.

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Iceman. I truly believe GM Uhm has done a wonderful job after the fiasco with the last Kukkiwon president Un Yong Kim. GM Uhm has done a lot for TKD! Like my teacher says, "there is a season for everything"

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Iceman. I truly believe GM Uhm has done a wonderful job after the fiasco with the last Kukkiwon president Un Yong Kim. GM Uhm has done a lot for TKD! Like my teacher says, "there is a season for everything"

Yes indeed. There is a season.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
GM Uhm's resignation will be difficult as he's been at the forefront of advancing TKD for the past 50 years. I am interested in who will become President and what they plan to do to advance TKD.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ok... so I got some gossip today.
This is from one of my master's friends, a Korean. This master can sometimes act like he knows more than he does, so don't take this for anything more than rumor.

This master says that Un Yong Kim is out of prison and that HE will be the new president for a couple years, just so he can try to get some of his rep back. Then he will retire and GM Sueng Wan Lee will become the new president (the current Jidokwan president).
Again, it is all just rumor, but there you go.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ok... so I got some gossip today.
This is from one of my master's friends, a Korean. This master can sometimes act like he knows more than he does, so don't take this for anything more than rumor.

This master says that Un Yong Kim is out of prison and that HE will be the new president for a couple years, just so he can try to get some of his rep back. Then he will retire and GM Sueng Wan Lee will become the new president (the current Jidokwan president).
Again, it is all just rumor, but there you go.

Whoa, that's all they need. Kind of like waiting till Jeffrey Skillings is out of prison and then appointing him head of the SEC.

My guess is, it's not going to happen. But I find it interesting that people look at this severely troubled, corrupt and overblown Korean government agency and insist that it alone is the arbiter of what constitutes TKD... :lol:

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What I have heard:
Two people are in line to become Kukkiwon head, both named Lee. One person has leadership skills but a questionable (read: criminal) background. The other Mr. Lee has a martial arts background but no leadership skills.
Bottom line: if either of those two become Kukkiwon head, noone will follow them and the Kukkiwon will lose all authority.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What I have heard:
Two people are in line to become Kukkiwon head, both named Lee. One person has leadership skills but a questionable (read: criminal) background. The other Mr. Lee has a martial arts background but no leadership skills.
Bottom line: if either of those two become Kukkiwon head, noone will follow them and the Kukkiwon will lose all authority.

With all the millions of people who do TKD in Korea, that's the best they could come up with??

Seems almost like the org has some kind of weird death wish... :idunno:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With all the millions of people who do TKD in Korea, that's the best they could come up with??

Yes for some strange reason they want to fail, we have nothing left to look forward to except what we can bring to the table here in the states.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let's see what cards we are dealt before we anticipate folding. Rumors are unhelpful at best, fear-making at worst.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes for some strange reason they want to fail, we have nothing left to look forward to except what we can bring to the table here in the states.

Absolutely. The politics of TKD in Korea are very difficult to understand without knowing all of the ins and outs, but I get the impression that a lot of the decision-making involves a small group of people who talk only to each other and consider themselves safely insulated from any outside scrutiny. This whole tax thing must have been an incredibly rude awakening for them.

It's a problem that pretty much all closed, hierarchical organizations are going to have, particularly when there's a lot of $$ involved, and when major political players have a stake in the outcome. And it doesn't help that because of its organizational connections to the WTF, even though they're nominally separate, the KKW is also within the IOC orbit... that's enough to get anyone in big trouble.

We really do need to start looking to ourselves for the kind of TKD we want, just as you say, Terry...

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

The same thing could be said about our Presidential contests.
Keep in mind, following Woon Kyu Uhm is almost a no-win situation. Granted, he wasn't Kukkiwon head very long, but his credentials make him a towering figure in Korean Taekwondo. It would take someone very special to effectively follow him. Realistically, who could do it?

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The same thing could be said about our Presidential contests.
Keep in mind, following Woon Kyu Uhm is almost a no-win situation. Granted, he wasn't Kukkiwon head very long, but his credentials make him a towering figure in Korean Taekwondo. It would take someone very special to effectively follow him. Realistically, who could do it?

It does say something, though, that there is such an obvious leadership vacuum in the KKW... a healthy organization constantly reseeds itself and there's usually a pool of people who can represent an effective way forward waiting there in the wings. You especially need that in times of crisis. When an organization doesn't have that depth—especially when you look at the sheer numbers involved—it tells you something about institutional stagnation that's pretty ugly...

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
It does say something, though, that there is such an obvious leadership vacuum in the KKW.....

Why do you think there is "an obvious leadership vacuum in the KKW?" I can think of at least 3 gentlemen I met there who could take over as President.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why do you think there is "an obvious leadership vacuum in the KKW?" I can think of at least 3 gentlemen I met there who could take over as President.

And are they likely to, given the current setup? What are the odds?

There are plenty of capable people in many organizations that face leadership difficulties; the problem is not that such people don't exist, but that they are not part of the group from which the next generation of leaders will be selected. Are any of these three people you mentioned (whom I assume you mention because you think they'd be good leaders, not because they are simply those next in line) anywhere close to the current pool of likely successors? As YoungMan put it, 'realistically?'

Latest Discussions