Kinetic Energy

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So, are we talking intangibles? The things that come from heart, spirit, determination and pure will? Or are we talking about a level of consciousness, or science? I suppose those would be intangibles as well, but maybe you know what I'm trying to ask.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As humans we use very little of our brain capacity. It has to be possible that unused space can be tapped. At some point in human evolution this will be used, why because we know it is there. Some people call it ESP to just explain that some crazy person can see beyond, or feel beyond. The weight vest is what it is and it cannot hit back, it needs the wearer. Same thing could be applied to the senses. Suppose that most would term as being in the zone, so many permutations on that.

snopes.com: Do We Only Use Ten Percent of our Brains?
It's a myth that we use very little of our brain.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
In one of my Wado Ryu books by Shingo Ohgami, he has some amazing mathematical type things, I can only describe them as things as I have no idea what they actually are. there's equations to do with the power and speed of strikes.

"the moment of Tsukiwaza is M1=F1 x a and in Uchiwaza M2=F2 x (a+b)" with a lovely little diagram I cannot reproduce here. I understand that in his other, non martial arts life he is an engineer so can explain karate in terms like this. It's impressive to me at any rate!

This one? Got it in my library next to his other book on kata :)

41unNL3MBRL.jpg

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, are we talking intangibles? The things that come from heart, spirit, determination and pure will? Or are we talking about a level of consciousness, or science? I suppose those would be intangibles as well, but maybe you know what I'm trying to ask.

In this case I would say consciousness. At what level I do not know, I can only say that I personally believe that capacity is there.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one? Got it in my library next to his other book on kata :)

41unNL3MBRL.jpg

That's it, I have his kata one too. Both very good, well apart from the 'equations' but I could never understand that type of thing anyway!

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You mean that there is an energy field created by all living things, that surrounds us and penetrates us? And that high level martial artists are able to read this energy field? Maybe manipulate it?

Scientifically, it's really just down to midichlorians. ;)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As humans we use very little of our brain capacity. It has to be possible that unused space can be tapped. At some point in human evolution this will be used, why because we know it is there. Some people call it ESP to just explain that some crazy person can see beyond, or feel beyond. The weight vest is what it is and it cannot hit back, it needs the wearer. Same thing could be applied to the senses. Suppose that most would term as being in the zone, so many permutations on that.

We do use our brain, to its full capacity. That's not to say we can't use it more effectively, or that there aren't things we couldn't do better... but our brain doesn't have a lot of "wasted" capacity.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We do use our brain, to its full capacity. That's not to say we can't use it more effectively, or that there aren't things we couldn't do better... but our brain doesn't have a lot of "wasted" capacity.

And you know this because? No offence.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you know this because? No offence.

There's been a lot of research into it over the years, and it's pretty widely available. Things like FMRI scans of people doing various things... Sure, the brain is incredibly plastic and capable of adapting and overcoming incredible injuries -- but that's largely due to redundancy in design, not because the parts of the brain weren't being used.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is a massive difference between the 'only using 10% of the brain' and 'only using 10% of the capability of the brain'. Sort of like having a Ferrari in the garage and just using it to take the kids to school. Sure it's using all the parts but not to the highest level of its performance.
:asian:

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's been a lot of research into it over the years, and it's pretty widely available. Things like FMRI scans of people doing various things... Sure, the brain is incredibly plastic and capable of adapting and overcoming incredible injuries -- but that's largely due to redundancy in design, not because the parts of the brain weren't being used.

But surely a significant brain injury would result in the brain having to access other areas, perhaps not known to current medical science.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But surely a significant brain injury would result in the brain having to access other areas, perhaps not known to current medical science.

You mean the brain will chemically re-wire? It depends on how extensive the damage is. I think there have been papers on these type of events happening, but to what degree I can't recall. But I don't think brain function can change but maybe work in a reduced capacity for certain parts of the brain.

I've read through this thread, and I'm not clear on what you are questioning exactly?

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean the brain will chemically re-wire? It depends on how extensive the damage is. I think there have been papers on these type of events happening, but to what degree I can't recall. But I don't think brain function can change but maybe work in a reduced capacity for certain parts of the brain.

I've read through this thread, and I'm not clear on what you are questioning exactly?

The use of energy originally and what could be possible in the future for humans.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The use of energy originally and what could be possible in the future for humans.

Still not following, do you mean evolve to have some kind of mind powers, ESP, telekinetic ability etc? if so, my opinion is no, as there is an enormous amount of evidence they are made up concepts.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still not following, do you mean evolve to have some kind of mind powers, ESP, telekinetic ability etc? if so, my opinion is no, as there is an enormous amount of evidence they are made up concepts.

ESP as one now, then no. Current science see's it as so. No, what I meant was is something like this. As humans we are what we where. However, it is not beyond reason that eventually we will see evolution of the senses. Call it what you will, but I just feel that as a race, we have further to go. There is no science for a human feeling as far as I am concerned. Yeah you can pass out now :)