Killbill = Discrace to Bruce Lee

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kill%20Bill.jpg

Notice this is the same jumpsuit that Bruce Lee wears in Game of Death.
She cant even fight, she's not a Martial Artist so why should she have any right at all to copy probably the greatest Martial Artist of our time. Not only that, Killbill doesn't even count as a good film if you take away its smiliarites to Bruce Lee's films (i.e the fightscene above is copied from Fists Of Fury when Bruce Lee goes into a Japanese Dojo and beats all the students and instructor there). Whats more annoying is that KillBill isn't even real, she cannot fight yet Bruce Lee fights as himself with the moves he can actually do with the weapons he can actually use, yet Killbill is just fake.
Bruce Lee's jumpsuit was also meant to represent that he had no set style therefore he could change style and beat others that have a fixed style as we see in Game of Death.
Therefore I think Killbill is a film copying one that is far superior to its own. The only consilation I find is that Bruce Lee will be around and the legend of him and his films will be around when Killbill has long been forgotten.

2713.jpg

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I haven't seen either of the films (yet) ... but I do remember reading that the films were part homage and part parody: (dictionary.com 1. a composition that imitates somebody's style in a humorous way 2: humorous or satirical mimicry ) of MA films. Tarrintino is a fine film maker/writer and often twists and turns a genre on it's ear.
Don't take it too seriously because it wasn't meant to be...serious.

Also I think you're being a bit biased here...
:Corporal Hicks wrote: to copy probably the greatest Martial Artist of our time
Lee was a great Martial Artist/Human being... but there are others who hold that same distinction in the last 50 years.

:asian:

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh, good grief. I have a terrible secret to share with you, kiddo -- movies are all fake. None of it is real.

Bruce Lee was, by all accounts, a nice man and a very talented martial artist. He was not the God of All That Is MA, however. He was a movie star -- which means his movies are fair game for parody, homage, and even blatant rip-off. Bruce Lee was not much more likely to fight and defeat fifty other people at the same time than is Uma Thurman. That's why it's a movie.

Tarantino's Kill Bill films are extremely violent. They're also intelligent, full of references to martial arts and Western cinema, and infused with an aura of enjoyment -- enjoyment of the genre for its own sake.

Trying to read some horrible dishonor or insult to Bruce Lee into this is just silly.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Besides that Uma just looks better than Bruce in the jumpsuit!!! Or perhaps tastier is the proper word...

:uhyeah:

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Besides that Uma just looks better than Bruce in the jumpsuit!!! Or perhaps tastier is the proper word...

:uhyeah:
Yeah rite, shes not even good looking, but if your American your probably like anything on legs. (Ok, so I'm being predujiced). I'm not gay, but Bruce Lee suits the role better than she ever will.

I know its a movie and I know the fact that Bruce Lee was not a God and merely a human being however he probably is the greatest in the last fifty years unless you care to name any as good as or better than him?

Ok, so I'm being slightly biased, as for Tarianto (sorry cant spell his name) I noticed he seems to like copying other decent films, hardly a decent film producer or director. He should have simply stayed away from Bruce Lee's theme's and ideas.
Killbill in my opinion is pointless gore and violence, the story line isn't exactly great and so much of the film is copied from other great films.
Pointless, almost pathetic. But critics like it because they dont know where the orginal ideas "orginally" came from and they think its "pure" genius.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sharp Phil said:
Oh, good grief. I have a terrible secret to share with you, kiddo -- movies are all fake. None of it is real.

Bruce Lee was, by all accounts, a nice man and a very talented martial artist. He was not the God of All That Is MA, however. He was a movie star -- which means his movies are fair game for parody, homage, and even blatant rip-off. Bruce Lee was not much more likely to fight and defeat fifty other people at the same time than is Uma Thurman. That's why it's a movie.

Tarantino's Kill Bill films are extremely violent. They're also intelligent, full of references to martial arts and Western cinema, and infused with an aura of enjoyment -- enjoyment of the genre for its own sake.

Trying to read some horrible dishonor or insult to Bruce Lee into this is just silly.
*chuckles*

OH! It's JUST a MOVIE? (jots that down)

Crap...back to the drawing board! :rofl:

Your Friend,

David Caradine

Taimishu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh gods give me patience.
1. Its a costume.
2. She did not pick it, the costume dept gave it her.
3. Hey its called acting, alot of people in the Lee films couldnt fight either.
4. I think Mr Lee would have approved of Uma, she looks good and in context with the film is realistic. In every film of Mr Lee's he had females some who could fight and some who could not.
5. That is not the same jump suit. ( Uma 6' Bruce 5'6") it would fit Mr Lee like a tent.plus Uma fills it in interesting ways.
6. Mr Lee himself pioneered several movie fight techniques that have no reallity.
7. And finally I got news for you Bruce Lee IS DEAD and so can have no opinion and is in no way insulted by this or any film. For ( insert deity of choise ) the man made his living in the very same way.

Sheeet you got me going there what a waste of time, mine and yours.
Get real.

David

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their opinion ... mine differs from yours, but then I know people who trained and worked with Bruce Lee. I can almost garuntee he would have like Uma's flicks.

-Michael

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sharp Phil said:
Oh, man! Does that mean that Jean-Claude Van Damme didn't really win the Kumite? Next thing you know, someone's gonna dis the Easter Bunny.

As a die-hard 70's chop-socky fan, I loved the movie, from the Game of Death and Green Hornet references to the presence of Sonny Chiba and Gordon Liu.

Corporal Hicks said:
shes not even good looking
You are wrong, sir. And so's your seeing-eye dog. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Kill%20Bill.jpg

Notice this is the same jumpsuit that Bruce Lee wears in Game of Death.
She cant even fight, she's not a Martial Artist so why should she have any right at all to copy probably the greatest Martial Artist of our time. Not only that, Killbill doesn't even count as a good film if you take away its smiliarites to Bruce Lee's films (i.e the fightscene above is copied from Fists Of Fury when Bruce Lee goes into a Japanese Dojo and beats all the students and instructor there). Whats more annoying is that KillBill isn't even real, she cannot fight yet Bruce Lee fights as himself with the moves he can actually do with the weapons he can actually use, yet Killbill is just fake.
Bruce Lee's jumpsuit was also meant to represent that he had no set style therefore he could change style and beat others that have a fixed style as we see in Game of Death.
Therefore I think Killbill is a film copying one that is far superior to its own. The only consilation I find is that Bruce Lee will be around and the legend of him and his films will be around when Killbill has long been forgotten.

2713.jpg
I don't care what you say, Uma is far hotter than Bruce; but, to each his own. :asian:
Sean

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree, it's a MOVIE, and it's FAKE. The movie was very entertaining, cleverly made.

I love Bruce Lee too, but Uma does look hotter in that suit....

P

PeachMonkey

Corporal Hicks,

I think it's pretty clear that you're completely misinterpreting the works of Tarentino in general, and the "Kill Bill" movies in particular.

From the first "Shawscope" banner at the beginning of Vol. 1, through the quick zooms and cuts of the opening fight, to the casting of Sonny Chiba as Hattori Hanzo, through all the fight scenes in Vol. 1, it should become painfully obvious that Tarentino is a worshipper of the martial arts film genre, and in particular, the 1970s works of Bruce Lee, Chiba, and others.

"Kill Bill Vol. 1" is a loving, colorful, often tongue-in-cheek homage to these film genres (among others). Uma's jumpsuit is just another bit of homage to the films Tarentino loves.

Watch any interview with Quentin, or look at his intensive labors in bringing the classics of Hong Kong fight cinema to the west, and you'll recognize his love and respect for this genre.

I know it's easy to look at something like this and feel displaced insult towards a hero (and Bruce Lee is an easy man to make a hero figure out of), but if you relax and take a second look at it I think you'll realize that Tarentino was honoring Lee in his own fashion, and that Bruce himself would have seen and appreciated this gesture in the way it was meant.

L

Littledragon

With all the computer technology and high flying wire work I think today the recent martial arts films are all a discrace, when was the last time we saw a recent martial arts films that you could say man that was amazing?

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I first saw the fight scene in the Dojo between Neo and Morpheus I was pretty impressed. Actually, I was pretty impressed with just about every fight scene in that movie. Sure, lots of wires, but nonetheless impressive.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
flatlander said:
When I first saw the fight scene in the Dojo between Neo and Morpheus I was pretty impressed. Actually, I was pretty impressed with just about every fight scene in that movie. Sure, lots of wires, but nonetheless impressive.

Agreed, and one of the best lines that got a loud gaffaw out of me (and the rest of the audience) was Neo saying to Morpheus "I know Kung Fu." and all from a 10 second download. Geez if real MA was like that we'd all be bored with it. And it does take the FUN out of learning over the years.

P

PeachMonkey

Littledragon said:
With all the computer technology and high flying wire work I think today the recent martial arts films are all a discrace, when was the last time we saw a recent martial arts films that you could say man that was amazing?
Classic martial arts films (at least in Asia) have used high wire work for many, many, *many* years. Or did you think that all of those Chinese actors in the swordplay movies could actually fly?

L

Littledragon

PeachMonkey said:
Classic martial arts films (at least in Asia) have used high wire work for many, many, *many* years. Or did you think that all of those Chinese actors in the swordplay movies could actually fly?
I am not referring to those sword play movies I am referring to movies made by Bruce Lee, Steven Seagal, Jackie Chan, Samo Hung, Yuen Biao, the movies back in the day that never consisted of wire works.

Tarek ;)

Latest Discussions