Killbill = Discrace to Bruce Lee

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
bruce lee movies are like picaso art. they are not being made anymore so they are appreciated for what they are.

maybe in 20 yrs people will honor kill bill movies as they have lee films. i think any movie that makes people see different martial arts (styles, technique) and have people interested in the arts is great. the matrix, kill bill, karate kid, are all good for the arts. helps people see how much more can be done with the human body, mind, spirit, than just sitting on the sofa eating ice cream. heck i want to learn the "exploding heart technique".

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Ok, forgive me I'm confused! Chinese Connection your refering to Fists of Fury right?

They kinda have revolving titles depending on where each was localized. It's the one with the ice factory, the stupid family, the fat guy who never buttons his shirt etc. They were very stupid people...

I dont remember people being tortured or is my memory really that bad?
I think being chopped up and frozen in ice blocks counts as being a skosh cruel....

Or is that Enter The Dragon in which I havnt seen yet so I wouldn't know what its about! I think I get your point though, thanks.
No, Enter the Dragon is actually a good movie. The two I'm talking about, the ice factory one, and the one featuring the Jing Wu school that Jet Li managed to wrest an entertaining movie from under the title Fist of Legend are bad movies.

but Kill Bill was never supposed to be all about Lee either way. QUOTE

I'm afraid it could have fooled me, looks like it did, and I thought it was sh*te!

Only by the jumpsuit, the Crazy 88's uniform, and limited coreography in a few of the fight scenes. There was a lot being crammed into Kill Bill, it is not supposed to be a Bruce Lee movie except with Uma instead. It never was.

That aside, I don't think Bruce Lee movies qualify as Picasso art, or that they should be taken as such by any means. Some of them are good. Enter and Return of the Dragon for example. RoD, "I'm from the country, and in the country, we..." (the way Bruce delivered that line is absolutely great. Looked half crazed every time...) manages to be funny and moves things along at a brisk pace. Enter the Dragon's more serious, but it still has a relatively solid story, good action etc.

The two I'm thinking of OTOH, are just messy. The Big Boss featured Bruce's stupid family, (Hey, where's Jim? Dunno, I'll go tell the boss we suspect of killing him that I'm going to go call the police... repeat until entire family's dead save for Bruce) him trying to uphold a totally pointless and context free vow not to fight. But then we get to see the doubledecker thug bus and a corny sequence with a couple of dogs and a birdcage. Rah.

Chinese connection, Fists of Fury, or whatever it happens to be called one week to the next is terminally boring. Watching Bruce beat up an old fat Japanese man with monstorously thick glasses in what looks like a church basement... Ech. The movie moves like molassas. Whole lot of sequences of Bruce going here, leaving there, climbing through windows for no especially good reason...

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Marginal said:
They kinda have revolving titles depending on where each was localized. It's the one with the ice factory, the stupid family, the fat guy who never buttons his shirt etc. They were very stupid people...

I think being chopped up and frozen in ice blocks counts as being a skosh cruel....

No, Enter the Dragon is actually a good movie. The two I'm talking about, the ice factory one, and the one featuring the Jing Wu school that Jet Li managed to wrest an entertaining movie from under the title Fist of Legend are bad movies.

Only by the jumpsuit, the Crazy 88's uniform, and limited coreography in a few of the fight scenes. There was a lot being crammed into Kill Bill, it is not supposed to be a Bruce Lee movie except with Uma instead. It never was.

Cheers for the post Marginal! Cleared some things up!
Regards

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
someguy said:
What would Bruce say to this. I'm guessing he wouldn't mind too much.
We've had this sort of reply before. Your point is pathetic. So your basically saying if somebody is dead then it doesnt matter and that everything they stood for doesnt matter. Right, so Martin Luther King because he is dead (Rest In Piece), everything he fought for is now non-important, IS IT? because if it is in your eyes, your a very shallow person. This arguement as quoted above is juvenile and I dont need comments like it seeing I'm just giving my own viewpoint on this thread.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Corporal Hicks said:
We've had this sort of reply before. Your point is pathetic. So your basically saying if somebody is dead then it doesnt matter and that everything they stood for doesnt matter. Right, so Martin Luther King because he is dead (Rest In Piece), everything he fought for is now non-important, IS IT? because if it is in your eyes, your a very shallow person. This arguement as quoted above is juvenile and I dont need comments like it seeing I'm just giving my own viewpoint on this thread.

Damn, you're really taking this personally, aren't you?

I think what someguy actually meant was that Bruce Lee would appreciate the reference to his film work, in any form. The man wasn't above laughing at himself.

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Zepp said:
Damn, you're really taking this personally, aren't you?

Yeah, I think you have a point, I'll think I'll move away to a quiet corner now and mumble to myself!

S

SMP

I think the movie was based on a comic -

maybe the outfit was just an attempt to pay respect

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bruce lee was a half decent actor.......and a mediocre martial artist on his best day.... his actual martial arts training was minimal and his philosophies were simply regurgatated ramblings from books like I-Ching

i bet a 1 hour lesson with chuck norris would have you thinking more than a week of studying with bruce lee

shawn

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
i bet a 1 hour lesson with chuck norris would have you thinking more than a week of studying with bruce lee
Chuck Norris, Joe Lewis, and Bob Wall all thought enough of Bruce Lee's lessons to take them themselves. He must've had something on the ball.

A

AnimEdge

didnt Chuck lose to Bruce? eather way kill bill was a great movie :p

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
chuck lost to him in the "movie".
and if you read any of his books......you'd see his take on bruce is much different than the common martial arts loving public............
he was still mediocre.......and to be completely honest, i think he exhibited the same behaviour that a lot of beginning martial artists make....by not having a deeper understanding he tried to "create" something new. you cant improve upon nature, its already perfect in its workings, and most martial arts (not the BS ones) teach you this if you stick with them long enough to find out.

shawn

ps. kill bill was great

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
chuck lost to him in the "movie".
and if you read any of his books......you'd see his take on bruce is much different than the common martial arts loving public............
he was still mediocre.......and to be completely honest, i think he exhibited the same behaviour that a lot of beginning martial artists make....by not having a deeper understanding he tried to "create" something new. you cant improve upon nature, its already perfect in its workings, and most martial arts (not the BS ones) teach you this if you stick with them long enough to find out.

To be honest with you my friend, you know nothing about Bruce lee and I think you are the one who is simply lacking in knowledge here. Sure, Bruce Lee isnt the best but he was not mediocre in any way. Some call him the best fighter ever. Let me see, do you believe Kata's work? (THIS IS NOT A TOPIC STARTER I'M JUST MAKING A POINT)

I'm not saying he wasnt a big head though......
Quote by not having a deeper understanding he tried to "create" something new"

I Think I can say that he understands more than you ever could. The best fighters fight subconciously and thats the point he was trying to make, and maybe its people like you who dont understand, or just simply you wont believe it because you havnt seen it. Try watching some of his sparring videos (as in Black and White taken from Ed Parkers senimors) and I think you will see he is not a mediocre Martial Artist.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ive seen them.....ive read the books.......ive watched the movies........ive watched interviews wih all his martial arts movie star buddies........ive seen the A&E documentaries.....i lived with a bruce lee fanatic.
yes we were both martial artists when we lived together as well.......the difference was....he was a bruce lee fan from the time he was a little kid. i on the other hand was not. as we both grew up in life and in our martial arts training you start to see things a little bit differently. thats not to say he didnt make contributions to the arts by popularizing them. here is a different comparison.....i am also a musician, growing up, i thought jimmy page from led zeppelin was the greatest guitar player ever. but as my musical horizons broadened, so did my definition of what makes a good guitar player...is it great technical virtuosity, or is it being able to write some of the most memorable riffs in rock? Riffing to me is the abstract movements in martial arts, the answer if you will to the unexpected attack...can it be done with great technical virtuosity? you bet your **** it can.......but being a technician without the ability to riff makes you another kid playing along to records in mom and dads basement......or making mediocre martial arts films.

shawn

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can see you point but you really can not call him mediocre and you cannot call his films mediocre either, thats mainly because its your opinion. Look at it this way, his films are now old and they are not exactly with the times, but all of them apart from Game Of Death broke box office records in Asia, I think that is definatly not mediocre, as for a man who also broke the prejucdice against Asians and blacks in film making as well as being a role model and hero for millions of people, that is certainly not mediocre, nor is the art that he created seeing it cut all the crap out of traditional martial arts and just made a direct system that is extremely effective.

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
nor is the art that he created seeing it cut all the crap out of traditional martial arts and just made a direct system that is extremely effective.
Opps, that was a bit too direct and a little of my opinion, dont take that seriously....as in too seriously!

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
nor is the art that he created seeing it cut all the crap out of traditional martial arts and just made a direct system that is extremely effective.
Opps, that was a bit too direct and a little of my opinion, dont take that seriously....as in too seriously!

B

blackbeltedbeauty

Personally, I agree with Hicks. Bruce Lee is my role model, hero, and the reason I started martial arts in the first place. It'd be bad enough to see a martial artist promote a movie by wearing Bruce's outfit, let alone a non martial artist. Some movies just aren't worth seeing, especially when they use a master to promote it who is no longer with us and has no say in the matter. :asian:

P

PeachMonkey

Are any of you who are so annoyed by Uma Thurman's outfit in Kill Bill Vol 1 familiar with the term "homage", and its definition?

Have you actually seen enough of the Shaw Bros, Sonny Chiba, Bruce Lee, et al movies that Kill Bill refers to, honors, and even lavishly worships to be able to understand the content of the film?

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
PeachMonkey said:
Are any of you who are so annoyed by Uma Thurman's outfit in Kill Bill Vol 1 familiar with the term "homage", and its definition?

Have you actually seen enough of the Shaw Bros, Sonny Chiba, Bruce Lee, et al movies that Kill Bill refers to, honors, and even lavishly worships to be able to understand the content of the film?

Lol, my friend, please, one of my best friends is a killbill fanatic, the reason I started this thread was to see if I had actually got a valid idea. I agree with Killbill having special effects and all this crap blah blah blah and gore etc etc, but why is a film sooooo good, if all Tariantio did was copy all the other Martial Art movies and make up a bodge one! In my eyes Bruce Lee, is a legend, so why steal his idea, its not homage, its an idea of Bruce Lee and the yellow jumpsuit has aboustly no revelance in Killbill so why use it? Did he want to promote killbill more knowing that maybe the jumpsuit would be recognised? I just think, leave the masters that are dead where they are. They could have done a better homage to Martial Arts and its masters than whats in the film, extreme violence and gore is not MA.
Killbill is not a homage, its a disgrace to Martial Arts. IMO I add.

Latest Discussions