Kicked myself in the face with my belt today

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bit of a long personal story here.

3 months ago I tested for my 3rd dan, 1st gup. At my school, we have intermediate tests between dan ranks. I'll need a total of 4 gups to be eligible for my 4th dan. Near the beginning of my test, I gassed out. I almost threw up. I almost gave up. I felt sick the rest of the test and I was miserable the entire time.

I gassed out during our kicking testing. We have 22 kicking combinations. In those 22 combinations are a total of 25 regular kicks, 10 spinning kicks, 29 jumping kicks, and 11 punches. We do each combination anywhere from 6-12 times during the test. That means I was doing probably somewhere in the realm of 600-800 kicks, with a lot of jumps and spins. I got tired.

I made it a goal that weekend to stop consuming processed sugar, and to start hitting the gym so I could get in cardio and resistance training. I was pretty consistent about hitting the gym for a couple months, but then I got sick. I'm working on getting back into it. However, I have been consistent about the sugar. No more...
  • Soda or juice (only water and milk)
  • Syrupy breakfasts like pancakes or waffles
  • Sugary breakfasts like donuts and cinnamon roles
  • Desserts like cake, pies, cookies, chocolate, candy, or brownies (instead I eat a lot of fruit now)
Before, I was consuming probably 2-3 liters of soda per day, and probably 4-6 servings of dessert-like food. I figure I've cut around 1200-1500 calories of sugar out of my diet, and that's including adding back in the sugar I get from fruit.

In my work clothes, my belt had been feeling tight on the 3rd notch. It's now incredibly loose even on the smallest notch. My clothes are so baggy they don't feel right when I wear them anymore. I may need to go shopping soon. In Taekwondo, I notice the difference by the frayed part of my belt outside the knot. There's a good 2-3 inches on either tail of the belt that is frayed from where it used to be part of the knot.

Oh, and those extra couple inches on my belt? Made it long enough to smack myself in the face when I was practicing Taegeuk #2 today. At this rate, I'm gonna need to order a smaller belt in a couple months.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It may be worth a visit to your doctor, just to be on the safe side, have a test for diabetes type 2, its not just for overweight people, coming of that much sugar, could cause type 2 as your body is not used to regulating sugars.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well done. 2-3 liters of soda per day? Holy smokes.

If I went to work, it was 2x 20 oz. bottles at work, then water at TKD, and then 2-3x 12 oz. cans at home.
If I didn't go to work (i.e. weekend, holiday), then it was 6-8 cans at home.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bit of a long personal story here.

3 months ago I tested for my 3rd dan, 1st gup. At my school, we have intermediate tests between dan ranks. I'll need a total of 4 gups to be eligible for my 4th dan. Near the beginning of my test, I gassed out. I almost threw up. I almost gave up. I felt sick the rest of the test and I was miserable the entire time.

I gassed out during our kicking testing. We have 22 kicking combinations. In those 22 combinations are a total of 25 regular kicks, 10 spinning kicks, 29 jumping kicks, and 11 punches. We do each combination anywhere from 6-12 times during the test. That means I was doing probably somewhere in the realm of 600-800 kicks, with a lot of jumps and spins. I got tired.

I made it a goal that weekend to stop consuming processed sugar, and to start hitting the gym so I could get in cardio and resistance training. I was pretty consistent about hitting the gym for a couple months, but then I got sick. I'm working on getting back into it. However, I have been consistent about the sugar. No more...
  • Soda or juice (only water and milk)
  • Syrupy breakfasts like pancakes or waffles
  • Sugary breakfasts like donuts and cinnamon roles
  • Desserts like cake, pies, cookies, chocolate, candy, or brownies (instead I eat a lot of fruit now)
Before, I was consuming probably 2-3 liters of soda per day, and probably 4-6 servings of dessert-like food. I figure I've cut around 1200-1500 calories of sugar out of my diet, and that's including adding back in the sugar I get from fruit.

In my work clothes, my belt had been feeling tight on the 3rd notch. It's now incredibly loose even on the smallest notch. My clothes are so baggy they don't feel right when I wear them anymore. I may need to go shopping soon. In Taekwondo, I notice the difference by the frayed part of my belt outside the knot. There's a good 2-3 inches on either tail of the belt that is frayed from where it used to be part of the knot.

Oh, and those extra couple inches on my belt? Made it long enough to smack myself in the face when I was practicing Taegeuk #2 today. At this rate, I'm gonna need to order a smaller belt in a couple months.
you sound pleased, so i suspect you wanted to loose weight, but there will come a time when you want to stop, so you really need to look at what your eating, if you have cut 1500 cals from your diet, you cant have been eating the required 2/2500 cals or you would have been the size of a house on 4000 cals a day, you may need to increase your non sugar intake as fast weight loss is unhealthy and your not getting enough nutrients and if you keep going you'll look like a clothes pole

ive had to heavily modify my healthy diet, as im so healthy i look unhealthy thin

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats on the changes. Going to agree with jobo here-when you're at a good weight, re-evaluate your diet to get on a maintaining diet, rather than continuing your current one.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I still eat plenty of food. I eat burgers or fried chicken for lunch almost every day, a breakfast sandwich for breakfast. I'm definitely not lacking in calories. I was probably at 3500-4000 calories a day.

Over the first 2 months I barely lost any weight, maybe 5 pounds. I just turned a lot of fat into muscle. I may have lost more weight over the last month as I've been sick and haven't been hitting the gym.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Over the first 2 months I barely lost any weight, maybe 5 pounds. I just turned a lot of fat into muscle. I may have lost more weight over the last month as I've been sick and haven't been hitting the gym.
I'm sure you already know, but that's actually how it goes. First you barely lose or gain weight since muscle weighs more. Then the muscle actually helps you burn calories quicker, so that combined with hitting a natural level of muscle mass results in seeing the scale number actually change.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I still eat plenty of food. I eat burgers or fried chicken for lunch almost every day, a breakfast sandwich for breakfast. I'm definitely not lacking in calories. I was probably at 3500-4000 calories a day.

3500-4000 calories a day, that is intense! Seriously, good for you in recognizing the need for change, and then carrying it through.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I don't mean to preach here as I'm sure you already know, but you might want to rethink that burger/fried chicken lunch everyday.

You can't put cheap gas in a race car. Well, you can, but those last laps are going to be sloooooooow.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't mean to preach here as I'm sure you already know, but you might want to rethink that burger/fried chicken lunch everyday.

You can't put cheap gas in a race car. Well, you can, but those last laps are going to be sloooooooow.

One change at a time.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

you cant turn fat into muscle, nor muscle into fat

I find getting over 2500 cals to be a significant challenge, the healthier thefood is the more you have to eat, I'm spending nearly all day forcing myself to eat

add it up and see what your actually taking in

I'm just about to drink a pint of milk with 3 shredded wheat in to get a quick 800 cals before bed

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I find getting over 2500 cals to be a significant challenge, the healthier thefood is the more you have to eat, I'm spending nearly all day forcing myself to eat

I'm just about to drink a pint of milk with 3 shredded wheat in to get a quick 800 cals before bed

I can lose fat weight and gain muscle weight, thus my weight turns from fat into muscle.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I went to work, it was 2x 20 oz. bottles at work, then water at TKD, and then 2-3x 12 oz. cans at home.
If I didn't go to work (i.e. weekend, holiday), then it was 6-8 cans at home.
The sugar in soda is quite addictive I've been reading lately. Well, it's not especially "sugar in soda," though that seems to be the most prevalent form, it's sugar genearally.

Our bodies aren't really designed to have that much readily available sugar, it causes problems.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

If memory serves there are about 150 calories in a can of soda. So at 6-8 cans/day that alone averages to about 1,000 calories. Adding 2,500-3,000 calories with burgers and fried chicken would be walk in the park.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The sugar in soda is quite addictive I've been reading lately. Well, it's not especially "sugar in soda," though that seems to be the most prevalent form, it's sugar genearally.

Our bodies aren't really designed to have that much readily available sugar, it causes problems.

Not only is sugar addictive, but you figure...
  • Caffeine is addictive
  • I would drink soda with everything: every meal, as a snack, while I'm sitting on my computer (at work in IT or at home as a gamer)
  • You don't think about how much sugar is in soda, so it adds up fast.
  • Carbonated beverages are also habit-forming, in that a lot of people who quit soda will turn to sparkling water to get that fizz
It's very easy to overdo it on soda.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, good work making such a substantial change. That’s not an easy thing to do, and lots of folks fail quickly. As others have suggested, a next step (one at a time) is improving the quality of what’s left. I’m not a health food but - there are some foods I just won’t give up - but moderating the worst stuff goes a long way.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I figured it out. If I do a hinge chamber then my arm blocks the belt when I kick.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
if you have cut 1500 cals from your diet, you cant have been eating the required 2/2500 cals or you would have been the size of a house on 4000 cals a day

I looked into this, and it's not strictly a linear thing.

Say you take in 4000 calories worth of food.

Your body will extract what it requires to maintain equilibrium (the 2k ish).

While the food is in the right place, your body will extract more and lay it down as fat reserves.

But, it won't take all of it... There's going to be a proportion that comes back out the other end.

It's also dependent on the intake profile.

(I can't remember the exact figures, but for illustration)

One thing I read suggested that if you consume something like 2000 calories in one sitting (it's possible, I know I've done it) then nearly half will be ejected with the waste.

It went on that if you have something like 3 meals of 1000 calories each, you lay down less fat than if you have 10 snacks of 300 calories each spread through the day.

Somewhat counterintuitively though, if you regularly have one meal per day, your body will enter 'famine mode' and hold the food for longer and extract more - so it's possible that a person could gain more fat from one daily 2500 calorie feed than if they had 3500 calories split into different meals a few hours apart.

What the food is made of makes a difference, as does the efficiency of an individual's metabolism. Also, the further away from the baseline equilibrium amount the more the figures skew.