Kiai

K

Kenpo Yahoo

The "noise" of the KIAI or spirit yell, I was told, gave you the spiritual edge over your opponent. I've even heard stories of people knocking other people out with just a kiai. In my opinion it's all a bunch of hu-hah.

Boxers exhale through their noise, (i.e. mouth closed, jaw tight) to keep their jaws from getting broken when they take a shot. The main reason they exhale when they punch is to tighten up their mid-section (the abdominal wall), for the simple fact that when they throw a punch they create an opening in their defense.

In the case of martial arts it works the same, but "noise" gives you a little extra psychological edge. Afterall, who's crazy enough to yell while they fight :mad:. Unfortunately, it won't give you an edge for long, if it does work in that manner. In the case of women, yelling "NO" while executing strikes is pretty normal. The best thing you can do is draw attention (and possibly help) to yourself.

If you are already SURE that you are tightening up and breathing properly without all the yelling, I don't see that much of an added benefit. Most guys that are willing to fight (egotists) aren't going to back down cause you said KIAI.

Let your skill speak for itself.

This is just my opinion, and most probably won't agree.

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Kenpo Yahoo
Boxers exhale through their noise, (i.e. mouth closed, jaw tight) to keep their jaws from getting broken when they take a shot.

You can also exhale through your mouth but just make sure your mouth isn't open or it makes it easier to get KTFO.
:iws:

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I remeber one martialartist put this way. If a kiai gave you more power than why don"t we see more baseball players doing a
kiai to make the ball clear the wall more often. Any thoughts

W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by D_Brady

I remeber one martialartist put this way. If a kiai gave you more power than why don"t we see more baseball players doing a
kiai to make the ball clear the wall more often. Any thoughts

That's a different kind of power, have you ever listened to a Tennis match?

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
very good, let me ask have you ever noticed in some styles they put more focus on the kiai it self than the kick or strike being executed.

W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by D_Brady

very good, let me ask have you ever noticed in some styles they put more focus on the kiai it self than the kick or strike being executed.

Yes I have, and I think that's a little overboard if you ask me.

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo

There are three reasons for a Kiai.

1. To expel air when you get hit or fall so air is not epended involuntarily

2. To increase the power of your strike

3. To scare your opponent

I teach these to my students in this order of priority.
The belly-breathing Mr. Labounty speaks of should be your natural method of breathing as well because the air should not come from your lungs but rather from your abdomen. A Kiai should not be long and drawn out like I've seen way too many people do, but rather like a gunshot, loud and short.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

That is good clyde. I would have to say you are "correct". LOL JK. :p
I do agree with what you said. And i teach it the very same way!

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Prof.Kenpo
There are three reasons for a Kiai.

1. To expel air when you get hit or fall so air is not epended involuntarily
2. To increase the power of your strike
3. To scare your opponent
I teach these to my students in this order of priority.Clyde
I do agree with Clyde on this but I totally disagree with the priority that I teach to students.

Consider.....
1. Increased Power and Stabilization
2. Self Protection to tighten certain body parts
during a potential hit or fall.
3. To startle an opponent.

I switch Clyde's number 2 to 1 for the simple reason that logic dictates the "main" Purpose is settling, power development, and self fortification/protection thru proper breathing.

If you do it for Clyde's reasoning....... you are assuming that you are going to be "HIT" or fall and that may not happen at all, "the object is to avoid being struck during an attack" ......... although it is a possibility which is why I prioritize it as number 2.

We agree on 3.

:asian:

E

Elfan

Another advantage to kias from the instuructor's point of view is that their can be no doubt that the student is exhaling when they kia. This could be useful when teaching large classes.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
At the end of the kids class, I usually say....

'And don't forget to practice your kiai's at home'

It's a great way of keeping the parents involved in their kids training :)

Les

W

WhiteTiger

In my expierience the Kiai has been used as a training tool to remind begining students to breath while performing a technique. However the focus on the actual noise component of the kiai is often reduced once their breathing becomes more natural during their training. On another note by teaching someone to kiai with force can aid them in learning to strike with force. Just try not to strike with force while screaming at the top of your lungs, its not that easy. If you have a shy or introverted student that has difficulty learning to execute their strikes with confidence and force, then the kiai may help them get over that hurdle. I will still Kiai on occation, usually when I really get into the zone, and I don't even know I'm doing it.