The Physical Experience of Kiai

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kihap (or kiai) ensures exhalation during exertion which prevents the Valsalva maneuver (forcibly exhaling against a closed glottis).

And what's so bad about the Valsalva maneuver?

The Valsalva maneuver increases intrathoracic pressure (pressure in your thorax or chest) and blood pressure to rise to extremely high levels.

A physiological process starts with a decrease the amount of blood returning to the heart from the veins due to the strain of effort. There is an increase in both venous and arterial pressures which makes it harder for your heart to pump blood. The heart compensates by pumping faster and harder.

Upon the return to normal breathing, the flow of blood from the veins resumes so quickly the heart doesn't have the time to go back to normal rate and pumping force — so it ends up pumping a lot more blood only the arteries are still constricted, building what can be a dangerous pressure in the arteries.

These blood pressure effects are dangerous because it can compromise blood flow to important organs like the brain. The Valsalva maneuver can increase the risk of catastrophic brain injuries such as stroke, cerebral hemorrhage, retinal hemorrhaging in your eye and retinal detachment.

Holding the breath during exertion — especially weight-bearing exertion like throwing — can cause dizziness and even fainting.

I learned this information during coaching classes in college. I reviewed and paraphrased a longer article (more specific to weight lifting) by Molly Sorlien to ensure accurate information in composing this comment in which she references several research articles.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kihap (or kiai) ensures exhalation during exertion which prevents the Valsalva maneuver (forcibly exhaling against a closed glottis).

And what's so bad about the Valsalva maneuver?

The Valsalva maneuver increases intrathoracic pressure (pressure in your thorax or chest) and blood pressure to rise to extremely high levels.

A physiological process starts with a decrease the amount of blood returning to the heart from the veins due to the strain of effort. There is an increase in both venous and arterial pressures which makes it harder for your heart to pump blood. The heart compensates by pumping faster and harder.

Upon the return to normal breathing, the flow of blood from the veins resumes so quickly the heart doesn't have the time to go back to normal rate and pumping force — so it ends up pumping a lot more blood only the arteries are still constricted, building what can be a dangerous pressure in the arteries.

These blood pressure effects are dangerous because it can compromise blood flow to important organs like the brain. The Valsalva maneuver can increase the risk of catastrophic brain injuries such as stroke, cerebral hemorrhage, retinal hemorrhaging in your eye and retinal detachment.

Holding the breath during exertion — especially weight-bearing exertion like throwing — can cause dizziness and even fainting.

I learned this information during coaching classes in college. I reviewed and paraphrased a longer article (more specific to weight lifting) by Molly Sorlien to ensure accurate information in composing this comment in which she references several research articles.

This is why so many famous practitioners of Goju Ryu died young isn't it?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is why so many famous practitioners of Goju Ryu died young isn't it?
I would be interested to know if you have seen anything written to support that assertion. I have heard it before but seen no evidence. Miyagi died at about 65 from heart attack but I have not heard it claimed to be related to hard breathing. Miyazato was 77, Kanro Higaonna 67. Certainly all young by Okinawan standards but cause of death?

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
kiai i don't think are meant to startle someone in the sense of scaring them by making a loud noise. Kiai, in my experience, can be used to interupt a thought process of the opponent for a milisecond thus allowing one to take initiative.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would be interested to know if you have seen anything written to support that assertion. I have heard it before but seen no evidence. Miyagi died at about 65 from heart attack but I have not heard it claimed to be related to hard breathing. Miyazato was 77, Kanro Higaonna 67. Certainly all young by Okinawan standards but cause of death?

I haven't ever come across anything official, but I've heard it enough from educated people whose opinion that I respect, that I think there is some substance to it. One of my senseis was a doctor.

Also, don't major goju organizations discourage the hard breathing?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I haven't ever come across anything official, but I've heard it enough from educated people whose opinion that I respect, that I think there is some substance to it. One of my senseis was a doctor.

Also, don't major goju organizations discourage the hard breathing?

That's all I've heard also. Not sure about all Goju organisations. Goju Kai had the hard breathing but the Jundokan guys don't. They forcefully expel all the air but you only hear the breathing at the beginning and end of the technique. Looking at videos of other Goju styles, most seem to have the hard breathing.

In terms of health though, I wonder what is the difference? When we perform Sanchin kata we tension the body structure and breathe to totally empty the lungs. Whether I make the hard sound or not is just a slight adjustment of the throat. The tension throughout the body is the same. Senior Jundokan practitioners say that the sound of the breathing is just so the instructor knows that the breathing method is correct.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's all I've heard also. Not sure about all Goju organisations. Goju Kai had the hard breathing but the Jundokan guys don't. They forcefully expel all the air but you only hear the breathing at the beginning and end of the technique. Looking at videos of other Goju styles, most seem to have the hard breathing.

In terms of health though, I wonder what is the difference? When we perform Sanchin kata we tension the body structure and breathe to totally empty the lungs. Whether I make the hard sound or not is just a slight adjustment of the throat. The tension throughout the body is the same. Senior Jundokan practitioners say that the sound of the breathing is just so the instructor knows that the breathing method is correct.

At the same time, from my Chinese martial arts teachers, I've heard this was part of the Iron Shirt or Iron Body tradition. My teacher said it would take at least 10 years off your life. Therefore, I think the breathing, along with the health hazzards may have been deliberate.

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In kendo it can be radiated and felt from a skiller practioner's tantien. It's why them tiny Kendo practitioners somehow turn into lions when in the ring, even if they're in their 90s. I've always been impressed by that and felt honored to get whacked the hell out of.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Run that by me again, Zen, I'm a bit confused by your first sentence above? What I know of as tan tien is a method of breathing focussed on the lower abdomen. That sense of the projection of 'prescence' and 'authority' doesn't really relate directly to that, altho' it might be argued that it can aid the making of 'good' kiai :D.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sanchin breath should be audible but free flowing, never inhibited. Tensing of muscle's is part of this kata, but there is much more to it. High blood pressure is a by-product if done improperly................ now back to, Re: "The Physical Experience of Kiai".

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Run that by me again, Zen, I'm a bit confused by your first sentence above? What I know of as tan tien is a method of breathing focussed on the lower abdomen. That sense of the projection of 'prescence' and 'authority' doesn't really relate directly to that, altho' it might be argued that it can aid the making of 'good' kiai :D.

Maybe he meant Dantian in the Chinese sense, in which case I'd ask which one he is referring to.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Like a good punch, a good kiai has to be practiced (with intent). I've heard lots of karateka give half-hearted, weak kiai (often because they're embarrassed to be making the sound, or think it's silly). This won't cause the type of pause or suki mentioned by the OP.

A good kiai, on the other hand, is almost like a physical force; it's primal and can make even an experienced practitioner hesitate for that fraction of a second that gives his opponent an opening. I think that's why it's referred to as a "spirit-shout". Without the intent behind it; it's just yelling... with intent (and commitment, and so on), it's a tool to dominate your opponent.

Latest Discussions