Kenpo Technique

R

rmcrobertson

Well, beyond the "come on, man," which I guess is none of my beeswax, usually when people write about "technique completion," the way you have, they go on to argue that a) it's silly to have all the techs, b) it's especially silly to have the extensions to the base techniques...

So, is that what it is?

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
ok I am not trying to be mean, the come on man just popped up because I had to start it some how. I did not mean to come out being offensive so I am sorry about that. I do belive that we do not need the extensions but just as alot of the more advance belts, it all about completions. What I just got caught up on I reading that you wanted to know if we could ever get through a whole techniques. So I am sorry about that.

To my knowledge, kenpo techniques are not supposed to be completed in a street fight, they are just guidelines as to what could be done in a multitude of situations. No one on the street is going to react in the same way that they do when you are training.

R

RCastillo

Do anything. They just saw my "Tracy" patch and left me alone!;)

N

Nick Ellerton

I cannot say that i have ever like seriously used a kenpo technique on someone but i can safely say that i have definately used parts of a kenpo technique on someone. Just messing around with friends the fulcrum of grip of death worx wonders

cool icon!!!:wink: :2xbird: <--- this i just like

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Several years back, one of my students got involved is some trouble in a bar. He had had a few beers with friends when some 'hard men' took exception to their being there.

This is how he told it to me.............

"This guy came at me with a really widely swinging roundhouse punch. Straight away I thought 'Five Swords'.

Unfortunately, due to the amount of beer I had drunk by the time I got the block in I was laying on the floor on my back."

We're NEVER going to let him forget it :rofl:

Les

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is one of my big worries, how exactly in-grained are our skills, and do they work well when we've had a bit to drink!?

I've only tested it once and it worked fine, trouble is, I'd drunk too much so I can't remember what I did!

We came out of the pub, and one of my mates came up and grabbed me from behind (fellow kenpoist so we're always messing about like Kato and Clouseau!), next thing I knew I'd done something and he's flat out on his back in the car park with his glasses snapped in half!

Dunno what it was but it obviously worked!

Ian.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber
This is one of my big worries, how exactly in-grained are our skills, and do they work well when we've had a bit to drink!?

Ian.

I seem to recall SGM Parker saying something about losing a belt level of skill for every pint you drink.

I can't remember the exact phrase, but it was something like that.

Of course, there are those who beleive they become more skilled when they have been drinking, like the ones who say they are better drivers when they've had a few beers.

You have to :rofl: at that!

Les

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have never been in a "real" fight before, but I do recall one of my past instructors telling us to try to pull off one of our techniques (of our choice) while sparring and it was very diffucult to get very far. Of course, this could have been cuz it was in the studio and everyone was studying the same art, etc. Thought it was kind of an interesting exercise to work on though.

In a "real" fight, I would think that most techs. in most cases would not go to the end if you hit all your targets from the beginning. (And assuming you are not fighting someone on drugs or not feeling pain, etc).

:asian: :karate:

E

Eyedoc

I'm new here, so if I break protocol, please forgive me. I have a comment about the techniques. I agree that in a fight, you won't be able to complete the entire sequence of moves...like a kata. Not only will you get the crap kicked out you if you try, you'll be made fun of in the process! I kind of equate it in my head to driving a car. I don't always have to speed up, check my mirrors, flip someone the bird, use left turn signal everytime I drive. I use what I need at the time. Hopefully in a fight, when I punch someone in the face it will be over. Incidentally, I actually use the bird most of the time when I drive

E

Eyedoc

I'm actually orange, not white belt. I screwed up my profile...told you I was new:cool:

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Eyedoc
I'm actually orange, not white belt. I screwed up my profile...told you I was new:cool:

Welcome to Martial Talk

No, you didn't screw up your profile, the White Belt refers to your 'posting rank' on here.

The more posts you make, the higher your rank climbs.
Here's the 'syllabus' :)

Martial Talk White Belt (Minimum Posts: 0)

Martial Talk Yellow Belt (Minimum Posts: 20)

Martial Talk Orange Belt (Minimum Posts: 60)

Martial Talk Green Belt (Minimum Posts: 100)

Martial Talk Blue Belt (Minimum Posts: 200)

Martial Talk Purple Belt (Minimum Posts: 300)

Martial Talk Brown Belt (Minimum Posts: 400)

Martial Talk Black Belt (Minimum Posts: 500)

Martial Talk 2nd Black Belt (Minimum Posts: 700)

Martial Talk 3rd Black Belt (Minimum Posts: 900)

Martial Talk Master Black Belt (Minimum Posts: 1000)

Martial Talk Master of Arts (Minimum Posts: 1500)

Martial Talk Senior Master (Minimum Posts: 2000)

Martial Talk Grandmaster (Minimum Posts: 5000)

Les

N

Nick Ellerton

funny you should say that, i had a couple of shots one night and i dont drink and here i am trying to do all of these kenpo techniques and they just didnt feel good at all!! and aparently looked like a blind man flailing his arms and legs everywhere so i was glad i gave guys a laugh, but because of that i do not drink to the point i impare my perceptive components.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wholeheartedly disagree!

There is no reason why you should not be able to "complete" a technique sequence "on the street." However there are some techniques that have multiple moves that are not designed to be completed through its entire sequence. Every default technique beyond simple function should teach specific skills and present functional ideas.

The "Assumption of Failure" excuse for an excess of multiple moves is a false one. If a person was not good enough to make the first three moves work, why should they assume they would be successful with the fourth? Especially if the first is a block.

Its not "over kill or over skill," its "lack of skill." A truly skilled person would not attempt to beat on a person unsuccessfully, but instead chooses the level of destruction and the extent he wishes to take a technique deep into its sequence, or alter the destructive potential as necessary.

"Sword Of Destruction" (EPAK) may be ended on the first move if desired (NOT hitting the throat), or carried through to it's default knockout conclusion, or even altered to a lock takedown and pin. It's a matter of choice based on factors determined at the moment of and during the attack.

If all you can do is "flail" and hope something works, you're a "tiger" who is NOT working toward being a "dragon." The mark of a true master has always been the ability through great skill and knowledge to modulate the level of destruction to your attacker, and save his life while saving your own as well.

As for all the "drinking fighters," perhaps that is the reason Ed Parker Sr. withheld a significant amount of knowledge and information, and didn't "hang out" with some of you. He listened to many of these stories told with "pride and glee" of being "sloshed" and kicking the crap out of someone in drunken brawls. Trust me, it worried him and he hated it but for reasons of his own, he never said anything about it publicly.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The "Assumption of Failure" excuse for an excess of multiple moves is a false one. If a person was not good enough to make the first three moves work, why should they assume they would be successful with the fourth? Especially if the first is a block. - Doc

I whole-heatedly agree with this statement... there is a law of diminishing returns based on the success or failure of a previous moves. There is also a great deal of gray area in the assumption of "missing" or "making" a move.

Your block may deflect a potential attack, but if it is not controlled the following move may not be effective, leaving the followup to that one even less effective, if feasible at all.

Rather than assume failure or success, one must "listen" (or feel) and respond to the situation... using the arsenal of techniques.

This is what sparring teaches us, and specifically why we use our techniques when we spar, rather than pure free style.

Latest Discussions