Kenpo Technique

Fastmover

Green Belt
Reaction score
Id like to take a survey out there regarding Kenpo techniques.

How many out there has ever completed an ENTIRE Kenpo
technique in a real street fight?

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Fastmover
Id like to take a survey out there regarding Kenpo techniques.

How many out there has ever completed an ENTIRE Kenpo
technique in a real street fight?

well that depends on if you mean the lower belt technique or the BB extension... :D

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of my students used to be a prison guard and was attacked by an inmate, he got off the first four moves of Five Swords before the guy crumpled like mush.

According to his coworker who was standing right there, it was nasty.
:eek:

Your Bro.
John

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
"Hugging Defiance" Level three.

Gosh Dr. Chapel. I would have thought with your experience and teaching law enforcement it would have been much higher. That's rather interesting. Was this the only one that had worked for you or is this the age old statement of what can go wrong will always go wrong?:asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth
Gosh Dr. Chapel. I would have thought with your experience and teaching law enforcement it would have been much higher. That's rather interesting. Was this the only one that had worked for you or is this the age old statement of what can go wrong will always go wrong?:asian:
And what do you know of Hugging Defiance Level Three?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do you mean? You want to know how many worked? You're kidding right? I can't even separate all the IKC's I ran from each other.

J

jeffkyle

I basically did this on a guy once in a fight. He didn't get a front bear hug though...it was more of him just grabbing my shirt with both hands. I took him down like in Tripping Arrow and when he went down, i simply punched him. It wasn't the complete technique (probably because I didn't hold on to the arm like I was supposed to, LOL), but it did the trick. He didn't get back up! :) :asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
What do you mean?

I was thinking that after your "x" number of years in the martial arts and your law enforcement training that you would have had time to evaluate and adjust techniques to work for the situation.

You want to know how many worked?

Not exactly in exact numbers or anything but more like you had delayed sword and etc. or etc.

You're kidding right?

I didn't mean anything derogitory by it.:asian:

I can't even separate all the IKC's I ran from each other.

I was thinking more of real life situations.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was thinking that after your "x" number of years in the martial arts and your law enforcement training that you would have had time to evaluate and adjust techniques to work for the situation.

Well all the techniques I teach work as is with no adjustment. I mean, arn't they suppose to? And if you have to make adjustments in your techniques for "real life" why are you teaching them the way you do, right?

"What you do is what you are going to do. If what you're doing is not what you're going to do, than what are you doing?" - Ed Parker
I didn't mean anything derogitory by it.
I know that, I was just confused. Give an old man a break dude. It takes awhile for the juices to flow you know.

I was thinking more of real life situations.
Oh, so now you've figured out SL-4. Reality based, no adjustments necessary, some assembly may be required, batteries not included. :asian:

If you want techniques to work for real consistently, than you must be taught body mechanics that are real and can be proven consistently day after day under realistic training conditions. Otherwise what you do will fail, sooner or later.

howardr

Green Belt
Reaction score
"What you do is what you are going to do. If what you're doing is not what you're going to do, than what are you doing?" - Ed Parker

Great quote! That sums it up perfectly.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
Well all the techniques I teach work as is with no adjustment. I mean, arn't they suppose to?

Yes, I'm sure you are quite right. It's really kind of different that we kenpoist have many opinions about the same thing. I've always heard about tailoring, change ups, and I guess the rest can be summed by the formulation phase.

And if you have to make adjustments in your techniques for "real life" why are you teaching them the way you do, right?

As for your statement here; I would so much like to get in the same room as yourself and see what your SL-4 stuff is all about.:D Every single one of us on here could talk about the "what-if" all day and all night so again I would like to understand your teachings of proper body mechanics and such.:asian:

I know that, I was just confused. Give an old man a break dude. It takes awhile for the juices to flow you know.

:rofl: Stop it!!:rofl:

Oh, so now you've figured out SL-4. Reality based, no adjustments necessary, some assembly may be required, batteries not included.

I'm not so sure about that. For myself I'm lucky I can get my own stuff figured out.

If you want techniques to work for real consistently, than you must be taught body mechanics that are real and can be proven consistently day after day under realistic training conditions. Otherwise what you do will fail, sooner or later.

As before I'd like to see your theories on the mechanics. Maybe my initial question would probably have been more effective as a conversation with knowing feelings rather than just seeing a plain old text written here. This most likely would have been less confusing.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
As for your statement here; I would so much like to get in the same room as yourself and see what your SL-4 stuff is all about.:D Every single one of us on here could talk about the "what-if" all day and all night so again I would like to understand your teachings of proper body mechanics and such
Man that would be cool. Much fun.
As before I'd like to see your theories on the mechanics. Maybe my initial question would probably have been more effective as a conversation with knowing feelings rather than just seeing a plain old text written here. This most likely would have been less confusing.
Yeah, this medium does have some significant shortcomings when speaking about physical things. But one day, God willing and the creek don't rise, we'll do it.

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Come on man. You and I both know that you will never get through a whole technique, take Circling Fans for example, for me a Green Belt technique. What in the world makes you think that A guy will just stand there and let you hit them a few times. Then stand there while you back up some, measure him up again and then come back and blow him away with a kick. I am sorry for being mean but thats just something you need to think about. You will never get through many of these techniques.

R

rmcrobertson

Uh..."better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it?"

There are some other considerations too, such as teaching vocabulary, grafting/spontaneity, etc., that come into play in the complexity of kenpo techniques.

Could I ask what axe you're grinding?

Latest Discussions