Kempo Practitioners and Attitude.

K

KenpoDragon

I probably would have done the same thing,walking out I mean.Kenpo/Kempo teachers and students as well have sometimes a superiority complex,because of the systems practicality.I have personally witnessed other instructors blatantly bash other styles,even some of the ones that I have studied (Kali,Judo,Jujutsu).For most Kenpo/Kempo'ists our style is the best on the market today,as I said for us.I have personally studied Shotokan Karate,but felt it's movements to stiff for my liking.So when I was looking for a new style to further my knowledge in the martial arts I went to 3 nearby cities in search of something that I would like.I went in to several schools and sat down to watch the classes,but the only ones that appealed to me,were Kung Fu San Soo,and American Kenpo.These are both "street" types of systems.When I witnessed the potential damage the a Kenpo/Kempo practitioner can do,I knew which one was right for me.Not to mention the Kung Fu San Soo teacher was way to brutal on his students.Eventually his school closed,gee I wonder why??? So I guess I chose the right one.Ultimately people's opinions on which style is best is only that,their opinion.Although some Kenpo/Kempo instructors may be a little egotistical or arrogant,don't let that sway you away from the art itself.Simply look for another school,even if it's a little further than you would like.It will be worth it trust me.

With honor and respect,
KenpoDragon:asian:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
in all honesty, there are a lot of kenpo guys out there with poor attitudes. However, there are a lot of martial artists in general out there with poor attitudes.

the guys that say "kenpo's the best" seem to forget that kenpo's the best... for them. For me, kenpo's the best. I did my research carefully when choosing a martial art. For my friend Stacy, TSD's the best...for her. Her TSD school is very self defense oriented. She loves it and makes it work for her. I visited, and walked out thinking... nice...but not me. I wouldn't train in TSD because I don't feel that it fits me as well as kenpo, and she wouldn't train in kenpo, because she doesn't think it fits her as well as TSD... although she did like the famous technique of "squeezing the peach." when she heard the name, she laughed her @$$ off, and made me teach it to her.

Different martial arts are for different people, and you have to find the style thats right for you, and most martial artists will tell you so. There's a few bad apples in every bunch, and unfortunately for kenpo, those guys tend to be some of the more vocal ones. Most of us aren't like that at all.

-N-

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472
... although she did like the famous technique of "squeezing the peach." when she heard the name, she laughed her @$$ off, and made me teach it to her.

-N-

Ummm, were they volunteers? :eek: Or did you hunt the test subjects down? :confused: ;)

Sorry I could not resist

Good points there Nightingale, it almost always is the best art for yourself, or you would not stay. :)

:asian:

W

webpage20022003

Originally posted by nightingale8472
in all honesty, there are a lot of kenpo guys out there with poor attitudes. However, there are a lot of martial artists in general out there with poor attitudes.

agree

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:soapbox: The loyaltees to our particular sysems may come out sounding kind of negative but I challange you to find a guy that says "Those systems sound great, in fact I don't believe in my system very much but I gotta work don't I?"

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Here in Australia, Kenpo is quite rare. However, most of the practitioners carry their arrogance as if it were a badge of honour.
I know, I was one of them for over 6 years.
These days I train in Ryukyu Kempo, also a rare style down here. I have never heard my instructor bag any style or system other than to say, "It didn't impress me!".

However, I would just like to point out that arrogance shown by Aussie practitioners of EPAK, is rarely evident amongst the Americans I have met here on the net.

--Dave

:asian:

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The attitude at my school is 'whatever works is fine'. Whether or not that is strict kenpo as such is not so much a factor. My instructors do have somewhat of a poor opinion of point sparring or kumite (Playing tag is the kindest term that they usually use.). As shootfighting and Kenpo/ jujitsu training is more their focus, MMA type training is emphasized for those that want to do more than just learn technique and form. This seems to be a common split between kenpo schools in my city.

Latest Discussions