Kempo Practitioners and Attitude.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a question, but before I ask it, it really is a QUESTION, I am NOT trying to bag anybody, or any style, or anything... I realllllly want to know if this is pervasive in Kempo or just one guy...

I went into a Kempo School in the Chicago Suburbs recently, and the instructor came up and asked if he could help me. I told him I was just checking out schools in the area, and could he give me some information. He asked if I had studied Martial Arts before, and I told him I had, he asked me what, I told him Hapkido, and Budo Taijutsu. His response to me was "Well you came here because you obviously want to finnaly learn a Real Martial Art"

I politely excused myself and left.

Was this guy just full of himself, or does this attitude typify Kempo? Does it as a style imply that it is "The Best of the Best?" I really don't know much about kempo, and before joining Martial Talk, I had always assumed it was a sport oreinted type of Karate, but from what I read on here it is not... and the Kempo people Ive read posts from here seem, well, confident, that they are doing "the right art", but my first and only "real" experiance with it was pretty arrogant and negative...

What do you guys (and Gals) think?

K

Kirk

I don't find that kind of attitude solely among kem(n)poists.
I think most study the style that they do study, because they
personally feel it's the best.

When ppl asks what style I think is the best, I tell them that
kenpo is the best ... for me.

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Technopunk
I have a question, but before I ask it, it really is a QUESTION, I am NOT trying to bag anybody, or any style, or anything... I realllllly want to know if this is pervasive in Kempo or just one guy...

I went into a Kempo School in the Chicago Suburbs recently, and the instructor came up and asked if he could help me. I told him I was just checking out schools in the area, and could he give me some information. He asked if I had studied Martial Arts before, and I told him I had, he asked me what, I told him Hapkido, and Budo Taijutsu. His response to me was "Well you came here because you obviously want to finnaly learn a Real Martial Art"

I politely excused myself and left.

Was this guy just full of himself, or does this attitude typify Kempo? Does it as a style imply that it is "The Best of the Best?" I really don't know much about kempo, and before joining Martial Talk, I had always assumed it was a sport oreinted type of Karate, but from what I read on here it is not... and the Kempo people Ive read posts from here seem, well, confident, that they are doing "the right art", but my first and only "real" experiance with it was pretty arrogant and negative...

What do you guys (and Gals) think?

You did the right thing in leaving. But they're people like that everywhere.:asian:

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's a pretty crappy attitude! I think it's usual for people to be proud of their own art, but there's something to be learn from all arts. I've not heard of the second one you mentioned, but certainly Hapkido is very cool, from what I've seen of it.

I wouldn't necessarily have walked out though, you could still learn a lot in a kenpo school...anyway, maybe he was just having a joke?

Ian.

R

roryneil

The guy was very disrespectful and you were right to leave. Even if I felt my art was superior I would try to explain the positives of my art and not just an open insult on others.

Y

yilisifu

You did the right thing. And, no, such an attitude is not typical of kenpo people at all. It IS typical of people who are anxious to make a buck.

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
I kinda got the same attitude when I went to a San Soo Kung Fu school.....He told me Kenpo was a "ring art" and if I wanted to learn a total self defense art I came to the right place. *shrug...I stayed..watched..I wasn't really impressed.

J

Jill666

If the art you practice and teach is solid, and you have confidence there is no need of bragging or running down another art. IMHFO.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ender
I kinda got the same attitude when I went to a San Soo Kung Fu school.....He told me Kenpo was a "ring art" and if I wanted to learn a total self defense art I came to the right place. *shrug...I stayed..watched..I wasn't really impressed.

Too true! Although, on occasion, we all get together here on Farmer Mountain and laugh at the local Korean Style instructor. In high school he wore rubber bands around his biceps to make the veins on his forearms stand out. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

K

KEMPO DAVE

sounds like more of poor sense of humor at the wrong time.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Sigung86
Too true! Although, on occasion, we all get together here on Farmer Mountain and laugh at the local Korean Style instructor. In high school he wore rubber bands around his biceps to make the veins on his forearms stand out. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Now THAT is funny!!!!!1 :rofl:

C

clapping_tiger

Never let the words of one represent the opinions of many.

Nuff said.

You would not judge that ALL people from one area are jerks, so don't Judge ALL people from an art are that closed minded and don't understand what the Martial Arts is really about.

M

Mikey

There are always going to be some bad apples in a barrel, especially when the barrel is SO big, I myself believe that EPAK is "The" total MA, but that is "my" opinion.
Check out other Kenpo schools and see what it is about.

MD

J

jeffkyle

And apples and oranges don't always completely mix. So if you are an apple go find other apples. IF you are an orange stick with other oranges. If you are a tangerine...i am sure there are some other tangerines out there, or at least an apple/orange that looks like a tangerine.
:D :cool:

P

pineapple head

Originally posted by satans.barber
I wouldn't necessarily have walked out though, you could still learn a lot in a kenpo school...anyway, maybe he was just having a joke?

Ian.

I agree with Ian here , the guy was just having a bit fun , you know, ha ha type of stuff.
Try going back to watch a class im sure youre attitude will change.;)

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sigung86
In high school he wore rubber bands around his biceps to make the veins on his forearms stand out. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Now Dan, I thought I told you the we shouldn't let Ricardo's secret out that he went to school in St. Louie!

:D

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
Now Dan, I thought I told you the we shouldn't let Ricardo's secret out that he went to school in St. Louie!

:D

Wait a minute, that was Seigs idea!:mad:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
Wait a minute, that was Seigs idea!:mad:

By the way, while I'm thinking about it. Have you picked up the newest edition of Flex? There are some good work out tips to build up your little gardner snakes:p .