Kempo/Kenpo systems ???

C

CoolKempoDude

anybody here knows the different among Chinese, Japanese, and American kempo system ???

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey there...
The quick answer as follows...

Chinese kempo is probably Chinese "Quan Fa" using the Japanese pronunciation because it is more prevalent in this country. AKA Kung FU

Japanese Kempo ( and once again, Kempo is the japanese pronunciation of the words Quan Fa, Chuan Fa, which means fist method) is what happened when Chinese Kung Fu traveled to Japan through the Okinawan islands and was then mixed with the indigeonous fighting systems of Japan. It includes not only methods of empty handed self defense, but also weaponry training and tactics. Very complete martial system ( sogo budo). The most famous practitioner of this century is James Mitose who is credited with bringing Kempo to Hawaii.

American Kempo is what happened when this same fighting system traveled through Hawaii and was taught to many people who then adapted the art to fit their personal expression of it. The most prominent of these was Ed Parker who developed a system tailored for the American audience and because of it...you can find some variation of Parker system in most states of the country.

PLease keep in mind that this is a gross over simplification and if you want to know more you should do a web search for the Kempo FAQ. It is pretty in depth although it leans more toward the origins of AMerican Kempo rather than the other two.

Thanx for the minute...
WalT

OP
K

Kempo Guy

CDK,

That's a loaded question.

Kempo generally refers to martial systems with roots in China. As kroh suggests it is the Japanese reading of the Chinese characters "Chuan Fa" (ken fat in Cantonese).

Ryukyu Kempo generally are the Okinawan 'translations' of Chinese systems such as the various styles of Fukien white crane, monk fist, five ancestor fists etc.

I only know of a few styles of "Kempo" in Japan with the most predominant being "Shorinji Kempo" and "Nippon Kempo". These have roots in Chinese or Okinawan systems (although Shorinji also has some Japanese jujutsu in their heritage).
As suggested by kroh, there are also "sogo bujutsu" that use Kempo or Kenpo in their name. This is not written with the same Chinese characters as "kempo (i.e. chuan fa)". Often the "Kenpo" is another way of saying "kenjutsu", i.e. sword techniques/fighting.

As for Chinese Kempo and American Kenpo (there's also Hawaiian Kempo), they generally share a common root, James Mitose. There are many interpretations and variants of Ken/mpo out there and I am only familiar with a few of them...

The most famous practitioner of this century is James Mitose who is credited with bringing Kempo to Hawaii.

I'm not sure where you got this info from... Perhaps he is the "MOST" famous practitioner in the US. :rolleyes:

KG

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey there…

Referring to Mistose as the most famous Kempo guy in this century, was also a gross simplification. I was merely referring to how web sites about kempo in America trace their lineage back to Hawaii. And when they do, it usually leads to Mitose. I know Chow was also a very big influence, however, Mitose had that whole, “Died in Prison” mistique about him. Go figure…

In my state there is also a Kosho Ryu (Mitose family system) dojo. I have spoken to some of their practitioners and the conversations about the Ryu-ha always lead back to James.

I would also like to agree with Kempo guy about the term Kenpo used in Japan to denote styles heavily associated with swordsman-ship. Some thing cool that will be happening here shortly is that the Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo association is sending down delegates to a local Aikido school in this area to do a seminar. If you go to their website the kanji used in the name of the system means sword method and not fist method.

www.suioryu-usa.org

Thanx for the minute...
WalT

OP
K

Kempo Guy

kroh,

Thanks for the explanation. And I agree, alot of the Ken/mpo in the US have lineage leading back to Mitose. I wish we had more information about the roots of his system. I know Hanshi Juchnik has done quite a thorough investigation but some things seem to be untraceable.

As for Suio-ryu, yes, it's pretty cool stuff. I've had the opportunity to train with some of the members of the US study groups. If you are interested in sword arts it is definitely worth the trip.

KG

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the USA.

American Kenpo - is a system developed by Ed Parker.

American Kempo - This could mean anything.

Chinese Kenpo - Many that use this name are break off of Ed Parker's system pre-American Kenpo days. During that time, there was quite a bit of exploration in the Chinese arts.

Chinese Kempo - there are many that have lineage to William Chow that use this name. Chow was chinese, hence the name.

Japanese Kempo/Kenpo - Another one that can mean anything. Shorinji Kempo proclaims itself as a Japanese style.

Besides the above, there are Okinawan Ryukyu, Karaho, Kajukenbo, Shaolin, Kajuzenpo, and many many more Kenpo/Kempo systems and styles.

OP
K

Karazenpo

Please read my posts on the Kajukenbo Cafe on James Mitose. I did a pretty exhaustive research on this subject. Shihan Michael Brown (Rhode Island), historian of the Sei Kosho Shorie Kai is in the process of writing a book on this matter. I would have to say he has researched Mitose more than anyone I know. Respectfully, Shihan Joe Shuras

Latest Discussions