Teaching kids increases the size of your wallet but does not improve your teaching

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I recently received a post that teaching children generally only increases the size of your wallet but does not improve you as a teacher. How many people agree or disagree with this statement and can you provide examples.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Define 'kids' as an age bracket, then I'll answer the question :)

An 11/12 year old is NOT the same to teach as a 7/8 year old, although they may both be classed as 'kids'...

Ian.

K

KEMPO DAVE

Do you define yourself as a teacher? or a babysitter? A good teacher will adapt the lesson to fit the class. Babysitter only entertains.

OP
kenposikh

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber
Define 'kids' as an age bracket, then I'll answer the question :)

An 11/12 year old is NOT the same to teach as a 7/8 year old, although they may both be classed as 'kids'...

Ian.

Good point, lets take it as a generalisation and as inteneded by rephrasing the question.

"Does teaching children aged 7 - 15 improve you as a teacher or not"

OP
kenposikh

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KEMPO DAVE
Do you define yourself as a teacher? or a babysitter? A good teacher will adapt the lesson to fit the class. Babysitter only entertains.

PLease see my rephrased question. I teach children aged 4 to 15 as well as adults.

This is not a slur on teaching children but a genuine query

M

MisterMike

Does teaching children aged 7 - 15 improve you as a teacher or not

I'd say it improves you as a teacher of children.

I guess I threw in the wallet fattner because it's being sold as Self Defense when I think it leans more towards Physical Education.

Before the flames start, please read my posts thoroughly. I'll always use comparisons, and not extremes like never and always.

I've seen it and been there and it generally leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenposikh
Good point, lets take it as a generalisation and as inteneded by rephrasing the question.

"Does teaching children aged 7 - 15 improve you as a teacher or not"

The answer has to be yes, definitely.

I think kids make you be more inventive for a start, because they get bored so easily! Adults will happily work on the same thing for 10 or 15 minutes if it needs improving, but you've got no chance with the kids. I reckon that 5 minutes is the most you can spend on an activity before they want to do something new. In an hour class (less 15-20 mins warmup) that's quite a lot of things to come up with.

They also improve your temperement and patience, you can't just shout at the kids these days when they mess about, becase they'd just leave. I've treated a few sternly since I started teaching, because their behaviour was disrupting the class, and they've all gone! You have to find ways to make them behave without being too stern - I find ridicule works quite well! If they're not doing what they're meant to be doing because they weren't listening, I always ask them 'What are you doing?', followed by '...and what was it I just told you to do?' hehe! They soon start to listen when they can't reply infront of the rest of the class.

I have to say though, I don't enjoy teaching kids! Maybe it's just ours, but they really do seem like more of a chore than a pleasure. Still, they have their moments...

Ian.

OP
kenposikh

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by MisterMike

I guess I threw in the wallet fattner because it's being sold as Self Defense when I think it leans more towards Physical Education.

Before the flames start, please read my posts thoroughly. I'll always use comparisons, and not extremes like never and always.

Having read satans barbers post I believe that it also improves you as a person, increasing patience and inventiveness.

I think we are all mature adults here and won't necessarily take things the wrong way and start flaming each other.

Mind you if you keep it up I'll tell my Daddy :D

OP
kenposikh

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have to say though, I don't enjoy teaching kids! Maybe it's just ours, but they really do seem like more of a chore than a pleasure. Still, they have their moments...

Ian.

chore = pain = pleasure

kenpo = pain = pleasure

or am I just weird :D

M

MisterMike

Having read satans barbers post I believe that it also improves you as a person, increasing patience and inventiveness.

I think we are all mature adults here and won't necessarily take things the wrong way and start flaming each other.

I think those are good qualities to develop. But as far as direct development of your Martial Art ability, you are going to get more pointed and detailed questions from an adult class. By this, you'll only deepen your understanding of the techniques and forms. This was the area I was concerned with.

No harm no foul :D

P

ProfessorKenpo

To effectively teach kids I've had to become very creative in my approach and analogies to instill proper mechanics thruout a technique. Lone Kimono becomes, Pick the booger and wipe it in their hair for the arm break, and Thrusting Salute becomes Pie in the Face for the heel palm. Needless to say, this carries over to the adults and they get the analogies as well LOL.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think those are good qualities to develop. But as far as direct development of your Martial Art ability, you are going to get more pointed and detailed questions from an adult class. By this, you'll only deepen your understanding of the techniques and forms. This was the area I was concerned with.

Ah, but, the question wasn't does it improve your MA ability, it was does it improve your teaching ability...two different kettles o' fish!

Had Amrik asked whether 'kids' improve martial arts ability, I would have answered differently...

:asian:

Ian.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My viewpoint on does teaching kids make you a better teacher..

Does parenting (taking the time and really knowing your child, paying attention to what they are doing in life, challenging them to do better, playing with them etc make you a better parent.. yes It does..

*Perfect Practice Makes Perfect*

In teaching MA's to kids..I am working the Yellow/Orange belt curriculum over and over and over.. Wow.. That means I should really really know it inside and out .. *provided I was taught correct stances etc initially*

*teaching Various attention spans*

So that is going to help me be a better teacher to adults.. as I am learning patience with easily distracted youngsters.. It's my responsibility to keep the class motivated. I now am learning how to vary the instruction so a 6 yo doesn't go wandering off, distracting the 10 yo who's concentrating on a tec. This will assist me when dealing with a mixed adult class, Upper and lower ranks.. Keeping both occupied in their own material..

Some people have the natural ability to teach.. some have a wonderful persona with children.. we have some tough kids in our classes .. Tough in the sense where you just want to pick them up and toss em out on their butts.. but the changes I've seen in them is astounding and the comments from their parents.. makes me smile..

In my humble opinion.. Teaching Kids has made me a better teacher :)

Tess

M

MisterMike

Lone Kimono becomes, Pick the booger and wipe it in their hair for the arm break, and Thrusting Salute becomes Pie in the Face for the heel palm.

I'm never going to think of these techniques the same again! :lol:

esp. Lone Kimono

R

rmcrobertson

Just to throw in something else--there's an apocryphal story that Einstein was once seen talking earnestly to his next door neighbor's four-year-old---his fiends asked, Albert, what did you two talk about for so long?" He replied, "Relativity." They said, basically, relativity? How could you discuss relativioty with a four-year old? He said, of course, "If I can't explain it to a four year old, it just would mean that I don't understand it myself."

One of my other things is that in talking about what kids can't understand and can't do, we too often armor ourselves up, presuming that as adults, well, WE get all this stuff, unlike stupid kids.

Personally, I describe my own approach to kenpo as, "Dogs watching TV."

J

jeffkyle

I believe teaching children applies toward Self-Defence as well as Physical Education.
Teaching them moves, through repitition, allows them to remember how to punch, kick, and do anything that you would like them to do.
The only difference between children and adults in teaching is that it is best to make the experience FUN for the kids. Adults will sit there through a boring class of kicking and punching because they know that they paid their hard earned money to learn something. Kids only know they are there because their parents require them to be (for the most part).
So if you want the kids to do what you ask of them, it is best that you make it so they WANT to do it. Not making them feel that they HAVE to do it.
And someone said that kids also don't remember definitions and terms that are stated orally. That isn't completely true. It is just like I said before...make it fun to learn that stuff.
Teach them the definition of torque while you have them punching (while having fun).
They may not understand what it is actually that they are doing, but they will be able to repeat the definition and corrolate it with the move that you taught them to do it with.
Children are very resiliant and pick up on things very very fast. They are also look up to people and remember things from their childhood very well...as most of us will "remember". :)

Teaching children "fattens" the wallet as much as teaching adults. It is what the teacher makes of it as to who it benefits...and how much!

J

jeffkyle

The answer has to be yes, definitely.

I think kids make you be more inventive for a start, because they get bored so easily! Adults will happily work on the same thing for 10 or 15 minutes if it needs improving, but you've got no chance with the kids. I reckon that 5 minutes is the most you can spend on an activity before they want to do something new. In an hour class (less 15-20 mins warmup) that's quite a lot of things to come up with.

They also improve your temperement and patience, you can't just shout at the kids these days when they mess about, becase they'd just leave. I've treated a few sternly since I started teaching, because their behaviour was disrupting the class, and they've all gone! You have to find ways to make them behave without being too stern - I find ridicule works quite well! If they're not doing what they're meant to be doing because they weren't listening, I always ask them 'What are you doing?', followed by '...and what was it I just told you to do?' hehe! They soon start to listen when they can't reply infront of the rest of the class.

Ian.

Sounds like plenty of stuff to "improve ourselves as teachers" to me.
:D

J

jeffkyle

I wouldn't say that...have you ever been attacked by 5 kids at once? There is definitely improvement there in your MA abilities. Try suppressing all of them at once, without hurting them! Quite a chore! :D:D:D:D

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by KenpoTess
So that is going to help me be a better teacher to adults.. as I am learning patience with easily distracted youngsters.. It's my responsibility to keep the class motivated. I now am learning how to vary the instruction so a 6 yo doesn't go wandering off, distracting the 10 yo who's concentrating on a tec. This will assist me when dealing with a mixed adult class, Upper and lower ranks.. Keeping both occupied in their own material..

Ditto! If you can work a class full of kids you can work a class of adults very easily. Plus you have a wider array of techniques, visualizations, and analogys that you can use to teach the adults as well...and since not everyone learns the exact same way, this can make you a more proficient teacher for them and this can also increase their learning curve.

Latest Discussions