Kehcorpz

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Left shoulder impingement that's been going on for about 3 months. 3 ribs that are still detached from the cartilage going on 4 months now. Both hands carpel tunnel syndrome for about 6 months (I can't bear any weight on them, such as push-ups, for a few weeks now), right knee chondromalacia patella, right ankle tendinitis. Multiple bruises on my shins and forearms that hurt when I block kicks or someone blocks mine.

All just minor annoying things. This is the first time I've mentioned them, and I feel that much softer after having done so.

I'm married with 2 young kids. I've got a full time job, and help family with many things.

I have very little disposable income.

We've all got excuses to not train. What separates the people who train (or do anything else) from those who don't is we don't listen to the ridiculous excuses.

At the end of the day, no one else's circumstances matter; only your own. You can listen to the excuses and convince yourself that they're valid reasons, or you can fight through them.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does anyone remember the old Wayan brothers movie, I'm Gonna Get You Sucka? I'm reminded of that scene where Damien Wayans is trading war stories and sharing army injuries with another character, they both spent their time in the military as office secretaries. "...and this scar came from a paper clip that someone shot across the room and almost took out my eye, and that one was from a paper cut..."

And then the scene where his momma reminds him of how the family of midgets who lived next door used to beat him up for his lunch money and he would come running home screaming for his momma.

Funny stuff. Somehow I see a parallel here, with Kehcorpz excuses.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
At the end of the day, no one else's circumstances matter; only your own. You can listen to the excuses and convince yourself that they're valid reasons, or you can fight through them.

*raises finger*

#1: For one person, having very little disposable income might be a reason for them to consider not training.
It's admirable that you've continued to train. There's a bit more to it, though.

#2: A different person isn't even interested in martial arts, so their disposable income is never even a factor.
If i don't like peanut butter, that's a valid reason. I don't need to be alergic to it before it stops being an excuse.

#3: But, it's also possible to have other financial priorities. It's not like anyone would ever know the difference between 2 and 3 at a glance, and having other priorities could be seen as a reason and/or an excuse.
I'll use a dramatic example. Say someone is depressed, and their sheer lack of energy is unimaginable to a stable mind. Is that an excuse, or a reason?

Such is the the line between an excuse and a reason.

It would be wrong to call #2 or #3 excuses - Otherwise, i could accuse you of not taking steps to increase your disposable income (example: no more MA's.) It creates a situation where everything you say/think/feel sounds like an excuse. With MA's, you'd probably agree with me. When i tell you to sell your desk and office chair and learn to use the computer on the floor in seiza... :) "Why Seiza?" You might ask~ "Why not? Stop making excuses! SEIZA!"

Your central point is correct, but it isn't appropriate for us to judge someone elses thoughts and feelings by our own standards.

PS: To whoever is reading this, what's YOUR excuse for not sitting in seiza on your office chair? :p

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really don't know what more can be said to you. You have had practically everyone on this forum (which is a lot of people) tell you that you have it easy compared to them. They have so many more health problems than you do, yet they still train.

Do you know why they still train? Really think about why they still train despite all of these obstacles.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You can see how popular he is when he's got 1 agree and 22 disagrees on his profile lol I just want to know who actually agreed this guy on anything

Last edited:

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
PS: To whoever is reading this, what's YOUR excuse for not sitting in seiza on your office chair? :p
I've moved to a standing desk, with a drafting stool, but I'll try seiza. Here's hoping I don't fall off.
(Hey, just tried it ... possible, not sure about endurance and the knees, but it's pretty comfy.)

BTW, I'm 56. Ten years ago, I was too stiff to sit seiza. Then I saw a young student sitting seiza-ish with her butt on the ground between her feet. (Hey! It's called "hero pose!" Yeah, I know. Uh, damn.)

virasana-hero-pose-wikihow.com_.jpg

She looked so comfy, I decided to learn to do that. After stretching, over a few years, if warmed up, I could sit her way. I've a bit stiff today, so I can only sit with the butt floating an inch off the ground between the feet. But seiza is a piece of cake.

Moral? We can change more than we think (barring some injuries, of course).

Last edited:

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've moved to a standing desk, with a drafting stool, but I'll try seiza. Here's hoping I don't fall off.
(Hey, just tried it ... possible, not sure about endurance and the knees, but it's pretty comfy.)

BTW, I'm 56. Ten years ago, I was too stiff to sit seiza. Then I saw a young student sitting seiza-ish with her butt on the ground between her feet. She looked so comfy, I decided to learn to do that. After stretching, over a few years, if warmed up, I could sit her way. I've a bit stiff today, so I can only sit with the butt floating an inch off the ground between the feet. But seiza is a piece of cake.

Moral? We an change more than we think (barring some injuries, of course).
Wow when I first glanced at this post I thought you said you had a seizure lol I was about to reply saying sorry to hear it lol lucky I reread it that could've been embarassing lol

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score

BTW, I'm 56. Ten years ago, I was too stiff to sit seiza. Then I saw a young student sitting seiza-ish with her butt on the ground between her feet. (Hey! It's called "hero pose!" Yeah, I know. Uh, damn.)

virasana-hero-pose-wikihow.com_.jpg

She looked so comfy, I decided to learn to do that. After stretching, over a few years, if warmed up, I could sit her way. I've a bit stiff today, so I can only sit with the butt floating an inch off the ground between the feet. But seiza is a piece of cake.

Moral? We can change more than we think (barring some injuries, of course).

I like your style Red Sun. I've been doing it for years.
View attachment 20045

Not gonna lie... I also sit on my office chair in seiza. One day i'll shell out and buy a standing desk ;)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Admin note

Thread locked pending review.

Jks9199
Admin

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.