Kathy Griffin Emmy Acceptance Speech

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because my experience of being in Iraq for two Ramadans, my answer to the second question might be a bit tainted. I understand that Iraq is not the entire Muslim world, however.

On the flip side, I have never seen a group of Christians go on a violent rampage during Lent, regardless of their location.

As a matter of fact, the entire Middle East makes up a rather small minority of the 'entire Muslim world'. As for your experience in Iraq during Ramadan, I can assume that you were there as part of an occupying military force. I'm not certain of the balance we should place on the religious, as compared to the political, but it is certainly a valid question for review.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On the flip side, I have never seen a group of Christians go on a violent rampage during Lent, regardless of their location.
Just because you've never seen it doesn't mean it's never happened.

For instance, I'm sure you've never seen a black man lynched ... or an abortion clinic bombed ... or natives rampaged to force supplication ... or children raped.

Nah. Christians would only pray ....

Sorry for the off-topic rant.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What happens when a large group of fundamental Muslims get pissed about an issue?
mad0233.gif

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just because you've never seen it doesn't mean it's never happened.

For instance, I'm sure you've never seen a black man lynched ... or an abortion clinic bombed ... or natives rampaged to force supplication ... or children raped.

Nah. Christians would only pray ....

Sorry for the off-topic rant.

True, but you have to admit that in todays age (no bringing up the Crusades or the Indian Wars where NOBODY alive today was responsible), you see far more large scale atrocities done by organizations and mobs by one side vs. the odd lone nutjub who bombs a clinic on the other. To say both religions bear the same responsbility is erroneous IMO. I have yet to hear mainstream Muslim authorities publicly comdem Islamic extremeism. I have heard the Church condem clinic bombers, violence in the name of Christianity etc.

I dont think its the religion per se, but the people leading/practicing them. To say todays Christians have to answer for the inquisition is unfair. I do believe mainstream Islam needs to make a public statement one way or another on whats going on TODAY though.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Or the Spanish Inquisition, or the Salem witch trials, or Friday the 13th... well you get the idea. :)

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont think its the religion per se, but the people leading/practicing them. To say todays Christians have to answer for the inquisition is unfair. I do believe mainstream Islam needs to make a public statement one way or another on whats going on TODAY though.
I'm sure her phone's humming with Christian fueled death threats. Fundies are fundies.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure her phone's humming with Christian fueled death threats. Fundies are fundies.

Probably true, not only are fundies fundies (whatever that really means), but people will be people, and threats are an insecure person's way of establishing a false sense of control over an "unacceptable" situation.

As a Christian, one the one hand, telling Jesus to "**** it" makes me feel roughly equivalent to somebody saying that to my wife. I don't "follow" the Christian church, I'm pursuing a relationship with someone who I believe cares about me, and when someone insults my friend, it insults me, too.

On the other hand, Jesus is also a sort of political figure, and I have to dismiss much of the rant about him, much like I would if my wife was famous - if she was a politician, I couldn't get upset at every criticism leveled at her, even if it was in middle-school language. (When the 8th graders that she teaches yell back at her, should I get personally offended?)

I also realize that at least she is being honest, instead of hypocritical, like many who thank Jesus and/or God for their trivial (on a whole cosmic scale) awards, usually given by people who really don't care what God thinks, if they even know. These people are name-droppers of a cosmic sort and I relate them much more closely to the crusades and other political atrocities done in the name of God, than most people sitting in church on Sunday these days.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Christians massacreing? Look at the Balkans.
We shouldn't forget so soon too that Service people from both our countries died there too. I'm not saying that it was a one sided conflict but the Christians have a big share to answer for in Bosnia for example.

For Christians rampaging, rioting, killing have a good look at the Troubles in Northern Ireland.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We shouldn't forget so soon too that Service people from both our countries died there too. I'm not saying that it was a one sided conflict but the Christians have a big share to answer for in Bosnia for example.

For Christians rampaging, rioting, killing have a good look at the Troubles in Northern Ireland.

All good points, and should be remembered, however, is anyone here seriously worried that there will be riots all across the U.S. because of Kathy Griffin?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All good points, and should be remembered, however, is anyone here seriously worried that there will be riots all across the U.S. because of Kathy Griffin?

Erm, who actually is Kathy Griffin? I've never heard of her, not that that means much lol!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Erm, who actually is Kathy Griffin?

LOL!!! I'm on this side of the Atlantic and I was wondering the same thing.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
She's a comedian who's known for her controversial live show.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Err.I was invited to the Balkan Tea party and what was going on over there was ethnic and political vs. religious. While some of the factions fell along religious lines, religion wasnt really a cause for the conflict. At the bottom of it all it was a squabble over whos land was whos and who was living ON it. The Christian Croats fought the Christian Orthodox Serbs at times. And at one point the Croats and (Islamic) Bosniaks fought together against the Serbs. I dont think it compares directly. Any one group in a conflict will probably share religious beliefs. It doesnt make the action religion based.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Err.I was invited to the Balkan Tea party and what was going on over there was ethnic and political vs. religious. While some of the factions fell along religious lines, religion wasnt really a cause for the conflict. At the bottom of it all it was a squabble over whos land was whos and who was living ON it. The Christian Croats fought the Christian Orthodox Serbs at times. And at one point the Croats and (Islamic) Bosniaks fought together against the Serbs. I dont think it compares directly. Any one group in a conflict will probably share religious beliefs. It doesnt make the action religion based.

I'm sadly more than aware of the history of the Balkans but the question was about Christians "going on the rampage" and the Balkans had it's share of Christians massacreing Muslims because of their religion. It may have been part of a bigger picture but it happened and that answered the question.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Insipid, covert political influence still qualifies as violence, IMNSHO.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So are the well known shakedowns by Jesse Jackson, et al, which certainly qualify as insipid, covert political influence, acts of violence?