Kathy Griffin Emmy Acceptance Speech

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Creative Arts Emmy Awards were given out on Saturday, September 8th. Kathy Griffin won an award for her 'reality' show - My life on the D List.

Kathy Griffin Emmy Acceptance Speech said:
"Can you believe this ****? I guess hell froze over.
A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award.
I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus. So, all I can say is, 'suck it, Jesus.' This award is my god now."

This language has been censored by the Television Academy (the organization that sponsors the Emmy awards).

Bill Donohue, (Loud) mouthpiece for the Catholic League has denouced the speech as "obscene and blasphemous". Today, a Christian group has purchased a 90,000 dollar advertisment in the US Today, to denounce her speech.

One wonders if these same organizations held similar views when the cartoon depictions of Mohammed were making the news in Europe and South Asia?

Is Ms. Griffin's language any different than the newspaper political cartoons?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It would seem to me that different people and different religions would have different ideas on what is "obscene and blasphemous" when their corresponding prophets are part of a joke or cartoon.

Why would a Christian organization think a cartoon about Mahammed would be anymore obscene or blasphemous than a cartoon about Joe Schmoe? Likewise, will we see threats of violence coming from Muslims because they see Ms. Griffin's acceptance speech as blasphemous as a cartoon depiction of Mohammed? Will you ask the same question of them?

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Creative Arts Emmy Awards were given out on Saturday, September 8th. Kathy Griffin won an award for her 'reality' show - My life on the D List.

There's a fuzzy delusion surrounding Oscar, Emmy, Grammy, and Golden Globes. This is not a political forum -- the is a celebration of the arts. It's of like the organizers want to see their event as some kind or arts and cultural Olympiad. Phooey.

These are widely watched commercial events where celebs to remembered -- for what they wore, what they won (or lost), and what they said.

Griffin was very clear on Larry King a couple of nights later, that as comic she wanted to say something we would be talking about the next day. In listening to her remarks, I couldn't help but every half-dressed pop tart I've walk up on the Grammies and thank Jesus for awarding her a statue for a song and video in which she gave an essentially 'slutty' performance.

I think my Christian and Catholic friends ought to be pretty tired by now of hearing that their Lord is busy handing out Oscars.

docmartin252

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As Christians, aren't they supposed to forgive and not be enraged. What she said was freedom of speech, it wasn't a personal attack on anyone specific but rather on people's ideas and should probably not be condoned but overlooked.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find Kathy Griffin hilarious. She's not afraid to speak her mind. Would we even be having this conversation if George Carlin or Robin Williams made the same speech?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Going along with Griffin's self elevation to the D list does a disservice to those that earned their places there. Have you no respect for Cassandra (Elvira) Peterson, Clint Howard, Paris Hilton, etc?

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've liked Clint Howard ever since his guest role on the original Star Trek (now THERE'S a geek trivia question). Remind me what Paris has done other then being a rich skank? :p

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's a fuzzy delusion surrounding Oscar, Emmy, Grammy, and Golden Globes. This is not a political forum -- the is a celebration of the arts. It's of like the organizers want to see their event as some kind or arts and cultural Olympiad. Phooey.

I agree - the Emmys, Grammys, Golden Globes, and other entertainment awards should not be forums for political issues. I gave up watching them long ago because I didn't find them particularly entertaining... so why bother?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tend to think with comments like this that if God is offended he'll take care of it himself, I do think however he has a sense of humour and/or a sense of proportion so that a few ( I think funny) words which don't actually hurt anyone should be ignored if you don't like them.

I was thinking perhaps the Mohammed cartoon was offensive because of the strictures against images of living things? Muslims aren't supposed to draw/photograph or portray people and I think animals (not sure on that bit) so a cartoon could well be offensive to them. It's a Biblical law that I know Christians don't follow.

If God is handing out Oscars can I have one for my performance in front of my boss when I pulled a sickie the other day please? he was totally convinced by my really ill and need to go home act lol!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can prove God has a sense of humor, and that it is a little twisted, with one word. That word is PLATYPUS. None but a practical joker could even concieve of such an odd little beast.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
... Would we even be having this conversation if George Carlin or Robin Williams made the same speech?

Kacey said:
I agree - the Emmys, Grammys, Golden Globes, and other entertainment awards should not be forums for political issues. ...

An interesting question ... and an interesting observation.

One wonders if the media organizations that broadcast these award shows would have chosen to censor someone with the status and history of George Carlin or Robin Williams? And, doesn't the act of censoring these lesser prestige personalities by the media increase the political attributes of their comments?

E! Network (owned by Comcast and Walt Disney Company) censored Ms. Griffin.
Fox Broadcasting censored Sally Field and Ray Romano

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As Christians, aren't they supposed to forgive and not be enraged. What she said was freedom of speech, it wasn't a personal attack on anyone specific but rather on people's ideas ...

While it is true that Christians are supposed to forgive and, some would argue, philosophically turn the other cheek a certain amount of righteous indignation can be expected and, yes, understood. While I don't understand the anger over "a few drawings" of Mohamed, I won't minimize the Islamic outlash resulting from them.

I will ask though, what happens when a large group of fundamental Christians get pissed about an issue? Historically they pray about it.

What happens when a large group of fundamental Muslims get pissed about an issue?

I completely understand that a sense of humor is mandatory to survive in this world and arguing about a two-bit shock statement made by a comedienne at what equates to an annual Celebrity Fashion Show just gives her and that statement more credence than it ever deserves. This aside, I must stand with the choice made by the censors.

Was the decision to censor it effective? I don't Think so. I'm certain that any coverage regarding the reaction to it will result in further propagation of her tongue-in-cheek message.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will ask though, what happens when a large group of fundamental Christians get pissed about an issue? Historically they pray about it.

What happens when a large group of fundamental Muslims get pissed about an issue?

Is it interesting that you choose to answer one of your rhetorical questions, while choosing to not answer the other?

Is there a reason for this?

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Because my experience of being in Iraq for two Ramadans, my answer to the second question might be a bit tainted. I understand that Iraq is not the entire Muslim world, however.

On the flip side, I have never seen a group of Christians go on a violent rampage during Lent, regardless of their location.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why give yet another self-centered celeb the pleasure of making a big deal out their attention seeking outburst???

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As a Christian, I will tell you that I am unapologeticlaly offended by what she siad. Someone previously posted "Aren't Christians suppossed to forgive?". Forgivness and offense are two separate issues. I have forgiven her for what she said, but it doesn't mean that I, and I imagine every Christian, wasn't offended. Or that we have to turn a blind eye and deaf ear to this sort of thing
I am fine with the idea that It's in part silly to thank God for giving you an entertainment award. But to assume you can say "s**** it Jesus" and be surprised that it's offensive? Come on.
And please don't think if Kathy Griffen had said this about anyone else, Martin Luther King for instance, that she would be marketable tomorrow (If she is marketable now anyway). It wasn't funny. Its simply shameful.

Brian Jones

Latest Discussions