Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Kicked out of USAT???

TKD_Stops_Tilt

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Given the current events shaking up the USAT, I decided to checkout the website since I haven't surfed there in awhile. I was looking at the BOD meeting minutes from Dec 08 and saw that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's membership was being terminated. I didn't even know that he was involved with USAT or the martial arts, outside of his performance in Game of Death.

Anyone know why the USAT terminated his membership? Couldn't the USAT use someone like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as a spokesman? I'm just curious.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Given the current events shaking up the USAT, I decided to checkout the website since I haven't surfed there in awhile. I was looking at the BOD meeting minutes from Dec 08 and saw that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's membership was being terminated. I didn't even know that he was involved with USAT or the martial arts, outside of his performance in Game of Death.

Anyone know why the USAT terminated his membership? Couldn't the USAT use someone like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as a spokesman? I'm just curious.

It's not the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar that you're thinking of. The one that was kicked out of the USAT is not the basketball player/actor. The KAJ that was kicked out of the USAT was from Chicago. I don't know why they kicked him out, but I'm sure it was for a good reason.

Last edited:

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Speaking of folks getting suspended or removed from the USAT, is there a listing somewhere on the net of those who are no longer welcome? I know US Judo has one.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He was told to leave because he was seen as a threat to there developement of the USAT. He would not go along with everything and was parts of other orgs.

cmassman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
He was told to leave because he was seen as a threat to there developement of the USAT. He would not go along with everything and was parts of other orgs.

Seems reasonable to me. Don’t agree with us then you have to leave Allowing members of an organization to express there options is not the way to run and efficient organization. I am afraid to think about would happen if USAT started to actually allowing members input into how the organization was run. And, also if the guy has the neve to play in more then one sandbox at a time just another reason to give him the boot.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I actually don't think that why Jabbar was kicked out.

After the Instructor's Course in October, Lauren & I were accosted (for lack of a better term) by a self-important master who talked our ears off about 100 different subjects....including Jabbar. The only reason I knew who Jabbar was is because I'm originally from Chicago & had met him as a gup student. Lauren & I were either too bored, tired, or polite to tell this dude to shove off, so we listened to him tell us about EVERYTHING we didn't care about.

This guy had some unflattering things to say about Jabbar's character that, if true, would necessitate a ban from the USAT. I did think it was weird that this guy was telling us these things.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seems reasonable to me. Don’t agree with us then you have to leave Allowing members of an organization to express there options is not the way to run and efficient organization. I am afraid to think about would happen if USAT started to actually allowing members input into how the organization was run. And, also if the guy has the neve to play in more then one sandbox at a time just another reason to give him the boot.

Scary thought somebody should actually express their opinions contrary to company lines. I suppose there is a thin line between constructive critism and plain old complaining. But now and then listening to the base could actually do a world of good.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't even know that he was involved with USAT or the martial arts, outside of his performance in Game of Death.

Tha REAL Kareem was one of Bruce Lee's students. He took the role of the movie as a request/favor/idea of Bruce Lee for the Game of Death. Kareem dont speak much about his MA training but has on a rare occasion has on interviews about Bruce. He doesnt believe in organized MA. He was heavily influenced by Bruce Lee and had his philosophy. Hell, if Bruce Lee was your instructor..... who else could ever come close?????/

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tha REAL Kareem was one of Bruce Lee's students.

He is also ill. While he is still active, unfortunately his main priority right now is fighting an unusual form of Leukemia. :(

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score

Sorry I know this is an old thread but came across it while doing some research and seen it had never been clearly answered. The fact is he is a registered sexual predictor in the state of Chicago for committing AGGRAVATED CRIMINAL SEX ABUSE/VICTIM 13-16 (2 Counts) on a female student (15) in New Hampshire. He served a 6 year prison sentence and is still registered. His Membership was terminated by the Judicial Committee after it was argued ( by Ronda) that he should not have coaching credentials and having access to hundreds of children at Juniors. Many on the board felt that he had served his time which he did but that still did not excuse the fact the he is a registered sexual offender.

B
ack in the day he was a coach at OTC and also roommates with Juan Moreno, It seems that Juan and many others also knew about his past and decided it was not an issue. So that is why he was removed as a member, the judicial decision was never posted on the legal page nor has his name been posted on the suspension list. But you will find it on this list -
http://www.isp.state.il.us/sor/offenderlist.cfm

OP
TKD_Stops_Tilt

TKD_Stops_Tilt

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm glad to see that this thread has come back to life. I never knew that Kareem was a sex offender. Why did he feel the need to hurt the Taekwondo community like that? Why would he even get involved if that was his motivation? There are far more acceptable outlets for a strong libido. I think Kareem was as good a basketball player as Wilt Chamberlain, and look at how many women that Wilt enjoyed. Kareem could have pulled down at least half as many women, and then he wouldn't have had to "soil his oats" with youngsters involved with Taekwondo.

Sad story indeed.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There is no cure for what he did. No amount of jail can correct the wrong he did. He should never have been allowed to coach in the usat. He should never have been allowed access to all those minors. Shame on those who knew and sat silent. If it ever comes to light that this person assaulted a minor while coaching then all who knew are enablers.

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm glad to see that this thread has come back to life. I never knew that Kareem was a sex offender. Why did he feel the need to hurt the Taekwondo community like that? Why would he even get involved if that was his motivation? There are far more acceptable outlets for a strong libido. I think Kareem was as good a basketball player as Wilt Chamberlain, and look at how many women that Wilt enjoyed. Kareem could have pulled down at least half as many women, and then he wouldn't have had to "soil his oats" with youngsters involved with Taekwondo.

Sad story indeed.

Like someone mentioned before, this is not same Kareem Abdul-Jabbar..

/Markku P.

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sorry I know this is an old thread but came across it while doing some research and seen it had never been clearly answered. The fact is he is a registered sexual predictor in the state of Chicago for committing AGGRAVATED CRIMINAL SEX ABUSE/VICTIM 13-16 (2 Counts) on a female student (15) in New Hampshire. He served a 6 year prison sentence and is still registered. His Membership was terminated by the Judicial Committee after it was argued ( by Ronda) that he should not have coaching credentials and having access to hundreds of children at Juniors. Many on the board felt that he had served his time which he did but that still did not excuse the fact the he is a registered sexual offender.

B
ack in the day he was a coach at OTC and also roommates with Juan Moreno, It seems that Juan and many others also knew about his past and decided it was not an issue. So that is why he was removed as a member, the judicial decision was never posted on the legal page nor has his name been posted on the suspension list. But you will find it on this list -
http://www.isp.state.il.us/sor/offenderlist.cfm

Person like that should never allowed work with children or allowed be in a position where he can have any kind of involvement with kids. ( and if people knew about this..?? )

/Markku P.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Person like that should never allowed work with children or allowed be in a position where he can have any kind of involvement with kids. ( and if people knew about this..?? )

/Markku P.

yeah, one of the grievances about the USAT. Everybody knows, nobody acts...

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
yeah, one of the grievances about the USAT. Everybody knows, nobody acts...

Seriously, not even that. I was looking at the clubs websites and found his school. I knew the story and I knew he was out of jail etc..... I sent the Sex Offender information to Askinas and asked how this had happened as it was very common knowledge. Even Askinas knew about it. I asked him to tell me that he was not coaching. Turns out he had been given coaching credentials 2 years prior. Keep in mind he was coach to Juan Moreno, Paris Amani, and I understand did seminars with Eui Lee. Mark Kaufmann remarked on him being at Des Moines Olympic trials to Askinas. They knew he had gone to jail, and just thought he had paid his debt to society, so they didn't think that it was anything. Not deliberate, just plain ignorant of their responsibilities. Simple stupidity.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seriously, not even that. I was looking at the clubs websites and found his school. I knew the story and I knew he was out of jail etc..... I sent the Sex Offender information to Askinas and asked how this had happened as it was very common knowledge. Even Askinas knew about it. I asked him to tell me that he was not coaching. Turns out he had been given coaching credentials 2 years prior. Keep in mind he was coach to Juan Moreno, Paris Amani, and I understand did seminars with Eui Lee. Mark Kaufmann remarked on him being at Des Moines Olympic trials to Askinas. They knew he had gone to jail, and just thought he had paid his debt to society, so they didn't think that it was anything. Not deliberate, just plain ignorant of their responsibilities. Simple stupidity.

You have to be under a rock to not know about the sex offender thing and the lasting effects. I mean, it's in the media everywhere you look. Sex offender registration etc, keeping them away from kids....how can somebody NOT know?!

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow. So an alcoholic can sit at a bar without drinking? A pedophile does not recover, PERIOD!

Latest Discussions